NEW PETER KANE WEBSITE SELLING HIS LIBRARY

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

NEW PETER KANE WEBSITE SELLING HIS LIBRARY

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 12th, 2004, 11:34 am

Peter Kane's son has set up a website in order to both pay tribute to his father and sell off his library, some 750 books by his estimate. Here is the link:
http://www.kano.btinternet.co.uk/
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Re: NEW PETER KANE WEBSITE SELLING HIS LIBRARY

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2004, 12:01 pm

Thanks for the link, Richard. I will definitely keep an eye on the page.

Richard Lane

Postby Richard Lane » June 12th, 2004, 1:02 pm

There is a list online now.

http://www.kano.btinternet.co.uk/

Click on "Books for Sale" then "The Books for Sale."

Run don't walk.

Kevin Fox

Postby Kevin Fox » June 12th, 2004, 1:27 pm

News travels fast,Peters son Tim is puting the books on the site 50 to 70 @ a time over the next
few months so you will have to keep returning to
the site to see the complete list but as you can imagine the is a lot of good stuff, there are pictures of all the books showing the condition.
Kevin Fox

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 12th, 2004, 6:22 pm

Who's going to grabbed that autographed first edition of The Card Magic of LePaul? :)

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » June 12th, 2004, 7:17 pm

I almost jumped at it too, but I THINK signed means signed by Peter Kane.

I'll stick to Houdini. :o
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 12th, 2004, 7:28 pm

Originally posted by Kevin Connolly:
I almost jumped at it too, but I THINK signed means signed by Peter Kane.

I'll stick to Houdini. :o
Nope, signed by LePaul...you can see it in the first image. Not to mention that it says "Signed by author."

-Jim

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » June 12th, 2004, 7:48 pm

You're right! Now I know why I sold my non-Houdini collection at Swann's. Must repeat to myself "Houdini only, Houdini only..." ;)
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » June 14th, 2004, 5:29 am

The site is "Under Construction."
Anthony

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 14th, 2004, 6:19 am

You can click the links along the top of the page to navigate -- it's all there.

-Jim

Doug Dyment

Postby Doug Dyment » June 14th, 2004, 12:08 pm

Tread carefully, though. With items like 13 Steps to Mentalism, authored by Lou Tannen [sic], selling for 80, there's not a high correlation with reality.

... Doug
... Doug :: Proprietor of The Deceptionary

Kano

Postby Kano » June 15th, 2004, 1:00 pm

Originally posted by Doug Dyment:
Tread carefully, though. With items like 13 Steps to Mentalism, authored by Lou Tannen [sic], selling for 80, there's not a high correlation with reality.

... Doug
Doug,

Could I quote you a little from the website?

"If you have any queries about the books, comments about the website or think that I've got the pricing or condition of the books completely wrong I'd be very interested to hear from you, please see the contact page."

I found the price for this book by searching the internet for a similar book, which I found at $250 (approx 125) for a first printing. As the book I have is only a second printing, I thought 80 would be a reasonable price to pay. It seems you feel the price I've quoted is a little high, could you suggest a more realistic price?

Many thanks for your time

Tim Kane (son)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 15th, 2004, 8:52 pm

Thanks, Tim, for your very gentlemenly reply.

Second editions of many books often have little value compared to the first. I'm not an expert on used books, however, but the 80 pounds does seem very high. Unless there's something unique about the copy, it's probably not worth more than $25.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 15th, 2004, 9:17 pm

It appears that Mr. Kane has already lowered the price to ₤20 (about US$40), which is much more reasonable. I believe that there is some added value to the book having come from the late Peter Kanes library, and its provenance can be confirmed via his personalized inscription in the book.

Dustin

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » June 15th, 2004, 11:06 pm

This is why I always get lecture notes made out to someone other than myself. I already have Tom Stone notes inscribed to Fred Kaps, and Tommy Wonder (except I had Tom use Jos Bema).

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » June 16th, 2004, 8:37 am

Corinda's 13 STEPS sells new for $25, so we generally price used copies in good condition at $20. Having said that, the book is currently out of print, but the reprint (with no anticipated price change) is expected in a few months. And no doubt many stores have copies still in stock at the $25 price. And as noted, the provenance may demand a premium in this case...

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2004, 6:27 pm

Let me quote from a recent response I posted on this topic in the Magic Cafe & then I'll add an addendum:

"Just a brief note on used book prices. In my experience of 10 years as a magic bookseller, prices are based primarily on 3 variants: rarity, edition & condition.

By rarity, I mean how easy is it to get the book. E.g., how many copies have been offered in the previous year (or 10 years)? Is a reprint available? Etc. Often, a "rare" book is reprinted and the original loses some of its value, except to collectors. A perfect example of this is Kaufman's reprint of "Greater Magic," which, IMO, is superior in several regards to the original. However, this too is out of print & now "collectible."

By Edition, I'm talking about whether a book is a first edition, later edition, reprint, etc. I can go on & on about this, but some editions (generally firsts) are just more valuable than others. We pride ourselves on being virtually 100% accurate in describing editions (altho I admit to the occasional mistake).

By Condition, I mean what shape the book is in. How accurate is the description? Does the book have a dust jacket? Etc. Do you care? Again, we take great effort in describing the condition of our books.

Many people say that they're just interested in the information, not the condition, edition, etc. Fine. We sell many great magic books for $3 or less. There are cheap copies available of many magic books, although one should factor in the value of one's time in searching for them. Moreover, I find it a bit ironic that people who claim to just be interested in the "information" feel differently about other purchases. E.g., do you care if clothes are used, tattered or new as long as they cover your body? "

Two additional points:

1) My "Price Guide to Magic Books," while a bit out of date, can give a good guide to the relative value of books, as well as some help in identifying editions. We have 3 copies left.

2) Regarding "13 Steps to Mentalism," this is a great book that has gone through many editions & printings. I believe the book is still in print for $25, altho we are out of stock. However, the first hardcover edition in a dust jacket (different from the new design & published by Corrinda himself) has fetched upward of $200 dollars. The individual "steps" are often available as well, published by Corrinda as pamphlets.

Hope this helps.
Michael Canick

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 16th, 2004, 10:09 pm

Is Tony Corinda still alive? Still performing?

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » June 17th, 2004, 12:54 am

Yes, as far as I know Tony Corinda is still alive and living in the East of England, but he's no longer performing.

A couple of years ago he was a scheduled guest to International Magic's Convention in London, UK, but he had to cancel his attendance due, I belive, to health problems.

Hope this helps, ciao!
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » June 17th, 2004, 1:10 am

Was Pete McCabe joking when he wrote, "I always get lecture notes made out to someone other than myself" ?

If not his action is fraudulent.
Anthony

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » June 17th, 2004, 5:45 am

Originally posted by Anthony Brahams:
Was Pete McCabe joking when he wrote, "I always get lecture notes made out to someone other than myself" ?

I think the action is only fraudlent if he is having this done with the intent of reselling them as genuine "association pieces." Since the notes in question were published after Fred Kaps was deceased, that intent seems unlikely here. But it does lead one to wonder how much of a "premium" on should place on such inscriptions!

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » June 17th, 2004, 7:11 am

One aspect of concern is the future when these articles could be sold showing apparent evidence of ownership by, for example, Fred Kaps, yet this is actually false.
Anthony

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 17th, 2004, 7:19 am

Umm...guys...I really don't think he was serious about that.

Do you know any magician who would sign something to "Fred Kaps"?

-Jim :whack:

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » June 17th, 2004, 7:36 am

Originally posted by Anthony Brahams:

A few years ago when Daryl passed through Houston on his lecture tour, I purchased two sets of his lecture notes. (If you've seen them, "lecture notes" doesn't do them justice.)

I had one set signed to me, and the other one: "To eBay winner..." :)

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Postby Guest » June 17th, 2004, 8:13 am

Originally posted by Michael Canick:
...My "Price Guide to Magic Books," while a bit out of date, can give a good guide to the relative value of books, as well as some help in identifying editions. We have 3 copies left....
Is this book available in first edition? Is it rare? Is it signed? ;)

Postby Guest » June 17th, 2004, 10:24 am

Two points:

1) My Price Guide to Magic books is available for $35 + P&H from us (retail price is $45). It's in its second printing, but as mentioned, I only have a few copies left. I believe other dealers & distributors still have copies. It is not rare. Generally speaking, hardly any price guide to anything becomes rare or collectible. However, I'd be glad to enhance its value by signing it, if you want to buy it <g>

2) Regarding the value of inscribed vs. signed books, it's very important to know that the provenance (as well as the autograph itself) is genuine. In general, a signed book is more valuable than an inscribed book, because nobody wants a book inscribed to "Joe Blow." (Actually, if you like random inscriptions, I have a copy of David Ben's "Tricks" inscribed to a guy you don't know who decided not to buy the book after it was inscribed to him). But I digress...

If a book is inscribed to someone famous or important (e.g., Houdini), a premium price is often charged for this, even if it's not a magic book. If there's a personal relationship or meaningful connection between the author & recipient to whom the book is inscribed, this would command an even greater premium. E.g., we had a book by a cartoonist who knew Houdini & drew a little cartoon of him along w/ a personal inscription thanking Houdini for some help he gave the cartoonist. We sold this for a greater price than if the book was just signed or even inscribed to Houdini.

Of course, there are collectors of every stripe, so that an inscription that may be worthless to one person might be highly sought after by another.

In the final analysis, determining the relative values of signed & inscribed books (let alone used & rare books in general) is not an exact science.

Best,
Michael Canick

Kano

Postby Kano » June 18th, 2004, 8:41 am

All,

There's been an update to the site. Most notably the "Gallery" section has been added, which shows a few pictures that might be of interest.

No new books at this point.

Tim Kane.

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » June 18th, 2004, 8:53 am

Tim,

The site is looking great, please keep up the good work. It is a great tribute to your dad. For those of us who knew this man only by reputation, it is a nice way to get acquainted. Good luck with this project.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 18th, 2004, 10:20 am

It is a great site and I am looking forward to more (even though I was too late on the draw for the books I wanteddag nabbit). I love the class picture. Im guessing that Mr. Kane is at the far left of the row of standing boys. I know one thing, the sitting girl just left of center is really upset about something. My guess is that she and the boy sitting second from the right had a spat. Of course, he may look like that because his mum made him wear the sweater vest.

Dustin

Kano

Postby Kano » August 7th, 2004, 7:02 am

I've recently added a further 50+ books to the site, plus a couple more sections.

Have a look, you might find something interesting!

Tim.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”