Yesterdays Magic.com

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Glenn Farrington

Yesterdays Magic.com

Postby Glenn Farrington » August 17th, 2003, 1:06 am

Hey gang...Starting this monday a new auction website for vintage and used magic launches. There will be no sniping allowed and no items will ever be listed as "Rare".

Yesterdays Magic.com

Stop by the site and register!
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Bill Mullins

Re: Yesterdays Magic.com

Postby Bill Mullins » August 17th, 2003, 1:58 pm

I searched for "snipe" on the website, and got no response. How do you prevent it? If you stop bids, say, five minutes before closing, all you've done is move up the closing by five minutes.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2003, 3:06 pm

This is what the site says

""Definition: If a bid is placed within the last 5 minutes of an auction, the closing time automatically extends 5 minutes from the time the bid is logged into the system. The "new" closing time is indicated under "Extended Closing" on the bid form. Subsequent bids on the lot will continue to extend the auction for 5 minutes until there is a 5 minute period without any bids. This applies to any bid that is accepted.

Advantages:
Allows a bidder, whose limit bid is beaten in the last 5 minutes, time to rebid on a item. This prevents a bidder from being "shut out" of the bidding process as they would be in a "fixed closing" auction.
Allows a bidder, whose bid does not overtake the current bidholder's limit bid, time to rebid again if still interested in the item.
The 5 minute bidding rule more accurately simulates a traditional auction! During a traditional auction, an interested party is allowed a certain period of time to rebid on an item. (analogous to Going Once, Going Twice, Sold!!) This means more fun for you as the auction participant!
...Tom Witcomb

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » August 17th, 2003, 10:28 pm

""""This means more fun for you as the auction participant! """"

Fun???? You got to be kidding me. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The only one that has fun in an auction is the seller, and only if a bunch of people are bidding in his item.
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » August 18th, 2003, 8:17 pm

Tom, thanks for explaining that.

I for one dont get involved in any business that isnt a win for both the business and the consumer. I personally do have fun at live auctions and enjoy many online auctions as well. However I dont care for how Ebay for one, allows an item you would be willing to pay more for, snatched away from you during the last few seconds.

I think roller coasters are fun, but my wife would disagree. So you cant please everyone, but the solution is easy...if you dont like coasters, dont ride them.

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2003, 12:11 am

Originally posted by Glenn Farrington:

I dont care for how Ebay for one, allows an item you would be willing to pay more for, snatched away from you during the last few seconds.

Glenn,
The answer to this is easy. Bid your maximum amount at the outset. Then you can only be outbid by someone willing to pay more than you are in the first place. Also, nothing stops any bidder from bidding/re-bidding in the last few minutes or seconds except the occasional bad connection.
I don't care for the idea that someone can nickel and dime you up over and over again under the system described above. Then you get the "Fun" of watching people slowly drive the price of the item up to your maximum limit and perhaps over it...not to mention you get to sit at the computer waiting and waiting for the thing to close if you really want the item badly.
Different strokes...
Cordially,
tr
:cool:

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » August 19th, 2003, 1:38 am

True...very true!

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » August 19th, 2003, 7:31 am

I'm going to agree that you bid what you're willing to pay and see what happens. Extending the auction 5 minutes over and over like that sounds maddening and would prevent me from participating at all.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 19th, 2003, 7:35 am

They've got some really good items on the auction site now. There's an early Mysto Company magic set, produced somewhere around 1911, that's quite large and rare.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » August 19th, 2003, 8:40 am

Glenn,

Great idea.... for those of you in the "right" time zone.

What about the rest of us? Europeans excluded? Or do we have to wait up until 4 or 5am just to make sure we can get another bid in?

Do me a favour...

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » August 19th, 2003, 9:37 am

In business you always try to reach the largest demographic of people that you feel your services meet the needs of. Even though the Internet has broadened that reach, you always know for one reason or another you cant meet the needs of everyone.

I love the art of magic, I love magicians and I love collecting vintage magic. That all lead to Yesterdays Magic. I decided to do this because the business side was sound and that I would enjoy doing it. You have to love doing something especially if its a time consuming task. I certainly did not do it for the money, for those of you that know me understand that would not be a factor.

I personally dont like sniping. I consider it rude. So I like having the extended option. Same as they have on the Martinka site which I love to participate in as well. Bottom line is, if you bid the amount you are not willing to pay more than via proxy. It doesnt matter to you one way or the other if the auction is extended. However there are also people like myself that are nuts...and are willing to protect the auction that "should be mine" and bid up some more if they have the opportunity.

So that being said, I would rather see a website like Yesterdays Magic being offered as it is than it not being there at all. Frankly I think its all good.

That doesn't mean that I dont like hearing or reading what people have to say...if it's said in a positive manner. Good criticism is just that...good. If it truly is something I had not thought of and I think I would be able to implement, I'll do just that. That's how things grow.

Okay, those are my thoughts. Now Im going to go back to reading the Stewart James File...which by the way I highly recommend to anyonethen later on watch the Heba Haba Al tape I got from Doc Easonand at one point check in on this new cool website that sells vintage magic

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 19th, 2003, 10:20 pm

One way to keep people from "nickel and diming" the auction upwards, five minutes at a time, is for minimum increments to double after the original closing time, and for them to go up even further after some length of time after that.

This encourages people to submit their genuine high bid early, but allows "spirited" auctions to continue.

I've bid in phone auctions in other hobbies that operates on this principle, and it works well.

David O

Postby David O » December 11th, 2003, 8:35 am

Hi,

I would appreciate anyone's assistance in contacting Glenn Farrington. Believe it or not, I still have an unresolved issue from a purchase I made at the Yesterday's Magic auction web site. :( :confused:

A phone number would be great, as my e-mails don't seem to be prompting responses.

Thanks, ;)

David
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree.

Albert Einstein

GAMOLO

Postby GAMOLO » December 11th, 2003, 4:02 pm

I have known Glenn since he was a teenager and can't imagine him purposedly ducking you.....got to believe he simply is not getting your emails.
The Auction Site apparently has been dormant for quite a while....the automated features work....i.e., tool boxes, etc. but no auction items are displayed.
Perhaps our chief editor Kaufman can clarify the status of this....maybe Glen is in Iraq making a bundle of $$ with Halibrition?

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » December 11th, 2003, 9:40 pm

Thanks to whomever gave David my phone number. He contacted me today.

Gale, I cant even remember being a teenager. I think that was when matrix was a coin trick and not a movie.

Terry

Postby Terry » December 12th, 2003, 4:49 am

Glenn,

I think alot of people are missing the point.

Re EBay - if you want to sell your item there or buy an item there, do so. The rules are the rules.

Re Yesterday's Magic - if you want to sell your item there or buy an item there, do so. The rules are the rules.

Period.

To continue to argue the rules a business has set is a complete waste of bandwidth and expelling alot of hot air.

Everyone understands your opinion, you're welcome to it, now let's move on.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”