KEY-R-ECT

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
walkinoats

KEY-R-ECT

Postby walkinoats » March 7th, 2002, 8:17 am

Very interested in buying one.
Does anyone have one they want to sell?

Jeff Haas

Re: KEY-R-ECT

Postby Jeff Haas » March 7th, 2002, 5:57 pm

As I understand it, the original creator of Key-R-Rect (I forget his name) died last year, and his heirs haven't announced what's going to happen with the rights and/or manufacturing of the effect.

There is something advertised in the latest Stevens Magic catalog that seems to be very similar, but with a different name. That could do what you need.

Jeff

Postby Guest » March 7th, 2002, 8:28 pm

I have a set that I really love - it's made by Merriss Magic in Louisiana. Of all the lock and keys effects, I think it's the best. You can devise MANY plots for the equipment and it's so easy to use. I wasn't planning to sell, so I don't have a price in mind, but make an offer if you want and we'll see... Asrah

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » March 7th, 2002, 8:55 pm

Apparently it is now back in production. See Hank Lee's newest "Hot List" at http://hanklee.net/hotlist/

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » March 7th, 2002, 8:56 pm

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: Michael Sibbernsen ]

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » March 8th, 2002, 6:33 am

Spoke to someone at Hank Lee's shop. They no longer carry the item. The creator unfortunately passed away and there are no plans for the family to continue production of the item. :(

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » March 8th, 2002, 11:16 am

Well this is strange as they just two days ago put the item on thier "Hot List".

"Long unavailable; now back on the market and made better than ever! "

Very odd indeed.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » March 8th, 2002, 12:30 pm

It's there right now, as Michael noted:

"Key R Rect
The most amazing version of the classic Seven Keys To Baldpate. Long unavailable; now back on the market and made better than ever!
Superlative mentalism! The spectator is given a lock and 6 keys to examine. He finds that only one of the keys will open the padlock. The lock is fastened to his buttonhole. The keys are mixed by another spectator. Yet, you can instantly divine which is the key that will open the lock. Not only that, but you can do it with the keys sealed into envelopes, for no marking system is required.
In fact, you can actually have the spectator divine the correct key and he will always be correct! And, he won't know how he found the right key!!
Key R Rect is a precision made piece of equipment that will stand the toughest examination. It comes complete with several routines, including a version done over the telephone!! You'll be thrilled over this clever idea. This is the one Kreskin did on TV. (40.021) $85.00"
:confused:

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2002, 7:29 pm

Joe Stevens now has Key R (whatever)Damien in Litttle Rock Arkansas has a dynamite routine with this item,,,who knows,,if he reads this he might share...KRAMIEN

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » March 13th, 2002, 2:39 pm

Here is the latest info,

Hank Lee is selling a version of"Key-R-Ect", called "Correct Key". Not The orginal version. :(

Postby Guest » March 13th, 2002, 7:56 pm

I have an original Key-R-Rect set I may be willing to sell... make an offer!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 13th, 2002, 9:09 pm

Once y'all getcher Key R anything, check out the Chastity Belt at Joe Stevens... I have had replicas of a real olde English one made, with Ken Brooke instructions and Don Alan's routine... :D
Stay tooned.

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » March 14th, 2002, 5:09 am

Has anyone seen the "Correct Key" version. Does anyone know how it compares to the original "Key R Ect" ?

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » March 14th, 2002, 12:17 pm

Check out the Steven's Magic Emporium web site and "Correct Key" is under "New Products". It has a big picture of the lock and keys. Looks like the old Key R Rect to me.

Robert M

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » March 14th, 2002, 9:38 pm

For those of you that perform at Renaissance Faire venues--Check out Biro's Chastity Belt from Joe Stevens. It is worth gold!!!

Regards,

Paul Green
;) :eek: ;)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 14th, 2002, 10:33 pm

Thanks Paul, but it is NOT worth Gold, it is wraught iron! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 15th, 2002, 4:36 pm

Mikame Craft also has one out called "Luc Key". It uses 5 keys and a nice brass gimmicked padlock. Pretty much any Key-Rect routine can be done with the set and it comes with a wooden case you lock a bill into for Mikame's Routine (which actually is an old idea). Needless to say, you do not need to use the wooden case...the lock is the special part.

When this Mikame version first came out (late 1990s), Viking Mfg. supplied the brass lock/keys and Mikame made the wooden case. The version currently available seems to be the same, just no mention of Viking in the instructions. Its a nice set for the money (about $50). The lock is solid brass with a thin profile, thus not as bulky as the silver "Master Padlock" versions I have seen. All in all any of the versions currently available should work pretty well.

Postby Guest » March 15th, 2002, 7:01 pm

Am I understanding that the Key-R-Rect padlock is constructed in such a way that no switch of keys is made during routine. Only the 6 (or 7) keys are used and the locks ability to open is under your control?

Thanks

Postby Guest » March 15th, 2002, 7:38 pm

Chris...You are correct. There is no switching of keys when using a gimmicked lock for the effect....yet you control which will open the lock and all can still be examined. Of course one could do the same effect without the special lock, but the routine/handling would be a bit more limited and it would indeed require some sleights (switching etc.) :)

Postby Guest » March 15th, 2002, 7:41 pm

Mark Strivings produces his version of Seven Keys to Baldpate, it runs for around $45. I played with it, but didn't care to much for the method.

I suppose one can use Key-R-Rect in a strolling venue.

Postby Guest » March 15th, 2002, 11:57 pm

The key r ect version that I have, I believe was from Supreme, ye4ars ago,,it came with a nice plastic fold over that you can put a hundred dollar bill in, and of course lock throuth the holes and the bill,,,If you are lacking in guts, use a dollar bill..I have done it hundreds of times, and use it in my current (yes, I am still working) show,,now stop talking about it, and buy one from Joe,,he has two versions,,,

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » March 16th, 2002, 2:23 pm

Chris,

There are a few different gimmicked locks available. The one you want will depend on the routine you plan on doing. Here's a brief comparison:

Key-R-Rect (original may not be available, apparently there are work-alike locks out now, as mentioned above): You show a lock, several keys that don't open it (by putting the keys in it and turning them) and then show the key that does open it (by using it to open the lock). Mix up the keys, put them in envelopes, etc. Discard the keys you "psychically sense" won't work. Then, the next key that goes into the lock will open it. This entire process can be hands-off; the spectator can do the entire thing, although it's probably better for the magician to do the first part, for pacing. There is no switch of keys necessary.

Spirit Lock: Sold under a number of names, usually with a Bank Night routine and a holder for a dollar bill. Any key can open the lock, depending on which side of the lock is facing up. Magician can be hands-off during the routine; the holder is used to flip the lock over. No switching of keys is necessary.

Those are the main two. In my opinion, Key-R-Rect is better suited to a psychic-style presentation, because the gaff requires the routine run in the order I describe above. You can't have the spectator try a number of keys, having them not work, and then the final one works. If you want that format, get a Spirit Lock. With a Spirit Lock, you show one key that works, and then mix it in with a bunch of others. Have the spectators try to find the one that works, and then the final key (whichever one it is) can open the lock. There's a very good quality Spirit Lock that was sold recently as "Three Key Monte."

There's one by Collector's Workshop that I haven't seen, their ads call it the "Hemingway Lock." I don't know how that works, but it's a very big lock and could be useful for a large stage presentation. I believe that the magician must open the lock at the end of the routine.

There's also a number of routines, going back to Annemann's book, which use normal locks and keys, and where you switch the key (or lock!) during the routine. These can be effective, too. Again, I think you really want to figure out how your routine is going to run, and then pick the method that works for it. Any of the good magic dealers (Denny & Lee's, Hank Lee, etc.) will be happy to help you pick the right prop for the routine you want to do.

Jeff

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Jeff Haas ]

Postby Guest » March 16th, 2002, 3:06 pm

In answer to ChrisDavid who asked "Am I understanding that the Key-R-Rect padlock is constructed in such a way that no switch of keys is made during routine. Only the 6 (or 7) keys are used and the locks ability to open is under your control?"

You do have to switch the master key with a dud key if you are going to allow others to try the lock after the lock is opened by the "key" during the routine. You switch the master key (that is the actual key that can open the lock whether it is locked in position one or two) right after the lock is first opened (and when no one would suspect a switch of the key) and once the lock is opened the second time with whatever key is selected, it is a simple matter to "double lock" the lock once more so that no other key (except the master which is now secured in your pocket or elsewhere) will open the lock, thus allowing you to have it examined and tested with the other keys.

Also, Stan KRAMIEN posted "The key r ect version that I have, I believe was from Supreme, years ago,,it came with a nice plastic fold over that you can put a hundred dollar bill in, and of course lock throuth the holes and the bill,,,If you are lacking in guts, use a dollar bill..I have done it hundreds of times, and use it in my current (yes, I am still working) show,,now stop talking about it, and buy one from Joe,,he has two versions,,,"

Repro Magic sells a gravity lock set-up with a plastic holder for the bill which incidentally when held with the lock hanging allows you to position the lock without touching it for the spectator to try and imperceptibly you can have it in position to open or not depending on which you desire.

A nice thing to do with this routine is not for you the performer to wind up with the winning key to open the holder but instead for you the performer to correctly guide your participant in finding the key that opens the lock and by doing so they win the cash inside the holder. Rather the the participant walking away a loser, they walk away a winner and since you the performer have successfuly guided the participant into winning a large cash prize (good rule of thumb is to have 10% of your fee as the prize) you look even better.

Also think of the added publicity when audiences know that one of them could win "insert the amount of cash or prize). creates a lot of excitement. And, it can be used in a trade show or shopping mall show using gift certificates (a nice plug for your show sponser) if you wish with the added bonus that your sponser covers that cost and it still makes you look great in the eyes of everyone.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.mindguy.com

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » March 16th, 2002, 6:11 pm

I've ordered the new "Key-R-Rect" from Joe Stevens. Where can I get a holder for the $100. bill??? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Robert M

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » March 17th, 2002, 1:32 am

Robert, see if you've got a Tap Plastics in your area. They're a store that will make custom items out of plexiglass.

Jeff

Postby Guest » March 21st, 2002, 12:38 pm

Just received Correct Key, from Steven's. It's a beauty, and worth the $85 I paid. Gimmicked lock is a work of art and will stand close inspection.
Thanks for all the help, guys!

Postby Guest » March 21st, 2002, 12:42 pm

If you want a great routine for Key-r-rect, Banachek has his comedy club routine available in booklet form. If you perform for adults, this is an excellent routine that will give you many ideas to use.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.mindguy.com

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2002, 7:09 am

Hey Chris,
I'm hoping for a slight clarification about the Correct Key. It sounds like Key-r-rect, but can the spectator unlock the lock at the end? I spoke with Viking about the Hemmingway lock (which looks very good, it's a really big lock) but the magician must unlock it at the end, which doesn't work for my routine.

Thanks.
Mark

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » March 23rd, 2002, 8:29 am

Hi guys! I don't think that it has been mentioned here that Danny Archer has a very good gimmackless version of the 7 Keys. I have seen him do it at a number of lectures, including one at the Magic Castle where it took the uninformed attendees by surprise. I am sure it is in his notes and perhaps on his video. Worthy of your research.

Regards,

Paul Green :D :D

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 23rd, 2002, 8:32 am

I hope all of you looking for seven keys type locks are going to buy a Bogus Belt to go along with it from Stevens Emporium

(Blatant Plug)
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2002, 7:40 pm

Yes,
The spectator opens the lock with their freely chosen key. In fact, they handle the lock and can handle the keys throughout the routine

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » March 23rd, 2002, 7:51 pm

Hello ChrisDavid,

I noticed that in the "Correct Key" version, when the lock is ready for the spectator to open the lock, that the lock is not as closed shut as when the lock was first opened at the start of the trick? Do you understand what I am talking about?

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2002, 8:13 pm

Walkinoats
Yes, I understand. But the difference is so small, you would have to be working for a real psychotic for it to be noticed.

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: ChrisDavid ]

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2002, 10:18 pm

WOW!,,,,a lot of interest in KEY R RECT,,and for years it collected dust in its nice little plastic case in EVERY magic shop in the country,,,I have performed with this goodie (with the plastic case with the 100 bill), at least a thousand times,,every show when I used to take my opera to the M Castle..any plastic shop can make you the fold over case for the bill in minutes, and very cheap.....TRUST ME ON THIS ONE...BUY IT, and when you perform it, say Thank you Stan.....a tip..some performers might find 6 keys just a bit much, depending on how glib you are. Since I have been dealing in B--- S--- for sixty some years, I still use six. Joe Stevens must love this forum,,by the way, check out Joes cute little dove pan on a pedestal,,beautiful chrome, another tip,and you wont do this, but,,get a can of flat plack spray paint, and shlep it on the dove pan, ( all over) have fun

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”