Welcome to our discussion boards!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Welcome to our discussion boards!

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 18th, 2001, 10:39 am

Technology has grown so fast these days that our "Messages" section in Genii seems a relic of the distant past. Today, a "forum" or "discussion board" on the Internet is the real way to create an exchange with our readersand also to let our readers exchange information with one another.
So, post away! Please note that foul language and personal attacks of any kind will result in the immediate removal of your posting. Repeated offences will result in that person being banned from the boards.
One of the things I personally dislike about some of the other boards on the Internet is all the clip art and junk that people paste into their messages. It makes the page very "heavy" and it can take forever to load. So, please, no clip art in your posts. That'll keep the boards lean and quick loading.
We look forward to hearing from all of you on a regular basis, and also to reading what interests everyone. Try to place your posts in the appropriate categories, which will make life much easier for all of us.
Thanks for reading this message, and enjoy The Genii Forum.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Richard Kaufman ]
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard James

Re: Welcome to our discussion boards!

Postby Richard James » July 18th, 2001, 6:03 pm

What a terrific idea to host a forum that has stemmed from Genii Magazine. I have just 'signed up' and hope to be an active member whenever I can.

Best Wishes,

Richard James

Ben Harris

Postby Ben Harris » July 18th, 2001, 7:06 pm

Hi Richard,

Congratulations on setting this up. Just as Genii has become the most amazing of all the monthly magazines under your guidance, I'm sure that this message board will reflect the same quality of content.

Cheers

Ben
Creator of the famous "Floating Match On Card" illusion.
WOWBOUND.COM - INSTANT DOWNLOADS

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2001, 8:57 am

Richard Kaufman-"SAN"

Congratulations from Far East.Please do not forget there are many readers of your fine magazine in Japan also.

tm

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » July 19th, 2001, 4:25 pm

Originally posted by Tomo Maeda:
Richard Kaufman-"SAN"

Congratulations from Far East.Please do not forget there are many readers of your fine magazine in Japan also.

tm

All things considered, I think Genii is the magazine that is *least* guilty of ignoring the wonderful magic generated by the Japanese. The Japan-centric issues of Genii in the last couple of years have been among my favorites.

JMT

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 19th, 2001, 10:58 pm

And there's more stuff from Japan coming! I just spent a few hours with Shintaro Fujiyama in New Orleans getting the rest of the material I need on his performances of the ancient Japanese Wazuma magic for an issue early next year. :D

EdAndres

Postby EdAndres » July 22nd, 2001, 10:46 am

Great Idea!

Oh by the way the latest issue of Genii is PERFECT..... well almost!!! :eek:

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2001, 11:48 am

Ed, very funny.
Sometimes I think my life is Too Perfect ... almost. ;)

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » July 22nd, 2001, 12:17 pm

This forum is very cool...thank you Genii!

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2001, 12:24 pm

I love the idea of a Genii forum, almost like a Back-Stage Pass, All Access, for us readers to exchange commentary with the folks putting the rag together.

Which begs the question: shouldn't a Genii subscription be an entry requisite? It would seem to keep the conversation on track.

A firm believer in circumscribed democracy :eek:,

Randy Campbell

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Richard Kaufman ]

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » July 22nd, 2001, 4:07 pm

Congratulations. Well done. I'll tell my friends.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 22nd, 2001, 4:22 pm

Randy,
I think thats a fine idea and I second the motion.
Best,
Ryan

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Richard Kaufman ]
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2001, 4:42 pm

Ryan,
Personally, I have nothing against profanity, however we cannot monitor the age of everyone using this forum, and frankly as a soon-to-be parent, there are any number of words I wouldn't want my kid between the ages of 5 and 10 to see and use. Since I have seen kids of that age zinging around the internet, I have censored all sorts of words that could be construed as "problematic" by parents if seen by their children. In a way it stinks, but that's the way it is.
On the subject of restricting membership on this forum to those who subscribe to Genii, I cannot agree. There are thousands of magicians who buy Genii at their local magic shops around the world and there's absolutely no reason why they should be excluded from participating in this forum. For that matter, I can't think of many people who should be excluded.

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: Richard Kaufman ]

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: Richard Kaufman ]

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2001, 5:06 pm

Dear Richard Kaufman

I have the pleasure of writing on this forum from Japan! And this makes very good exchanges with lots of people who can talk about magic and many other things in the world. Thank you very much!

RYOTA

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » July 22nd, 2001, 10:40 pm

Thanks Richard for making this board accessable to those who buy Genii from the local magic shops as I am one.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2001, 12:05 pm

I've been on this forum a whopping 10 minutes and I can tell you this forum will be top notch.

This is going to be great.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 23rd, 2001, 1:39 pm

Richard,

I have no problem with the censorship of certain words here. I didn't mean to suggest that I did. I was just making a little joke regarding the "blocking" of MR. Campbell's Name. I agree with you on the subject actually.
Congratulations on the Baby! I can only imagine your little one will pick up magic quickly. ;)
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » July 23rd, 2001, 7:08 pm

Regarding the subject of things that go out of control in the Internet, last November I worked at a trade show for a Spanish company in Germany. The following week the president of the company who hired me told me: "We got a call from one of our best customers. He liked your magic so much that he looked you up in the www and bought your videos!" I guess as far as he's concerned I'm like the masked magician.

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » July 26th, 2001, 12:56 am

Just spent an hour or so reading fabulous, intelligent, meaningful posts on this forum. To read so little of the inanity I wade through on other such boards and forums is a true pleasure and the folks who are posting here should give yourselves a hearty pat on the back for keeping the standard so high.

I haven't seen the need to contribute yet, but I look forward to doing so. Thanks to all for a informative, entertaining hour!

If this forum turns out to be half as good as the job you're doing on Genii, Richard, it'll be the best magic-related board on the Net.

Paul

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » July 26th, 2001, 9:48 am

I want to echo what everybody's been saying not only about this board, but about Genii in general. Magicians in the early 21st century are very lucky to have such a thoughtful and well-produced publication that comes out not only on time, but early!

Richard, I am amazed (and I've expressed my amazement on another list) at your staff's promptness. I filled out a subscription sheet at your booth at IBM, on July 5, I believe. On Saturday, July 21, my August 2001 Genii was in my mailbox, with a great profile of Earl Nelson and that incredible compilation on the Too Perfect Theory. That is, by my count, a sixteen-day turnaround in an age of "allow six to eight weeks for delivery."

I also appreciate your not excluding "magic shop" purchasers of the magazine from this board. I was one of those until I subscribed. My reasons for that were conscientious: I wanted a reason to walk into Al's Magic Shop at least once a month and buy the mag. (I've switched my subscriptions, so now I'll walk into Al's once a month and buy that other magazine, you know, the one from Las Vegas.)

I appreciate your imprecations in the August Genii Speaks that folks should walk into their local shop every now and again and buy something. Our fair city would be much poorer without Al and Stan Cohen and Al's Magic.

Keep up the great work!

Dave Shepherd

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » July 28th, 2001, 2:09 am

Hi,

Looking forward to many stimulating and innovative discussions here.

Thanks for including me.

Regards,
Paul Green

Bruce Arnold

Postby Bruce Arnold » July 28th, 2001, 1:42 pm

I too am amazed and impressed at the high quality of the posts on this forum.Thanks to everyone involved in this project. I will definately be a frequent visitor!

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2001, 8:15 pm

Congrats,

Though I told Jon I would join Genii upon his arrival, my lazy arse hadn't made it happen. With the TPT article I had to go to my local shop, Misdirections in San Francisco (due to trapeze classes a few blocks away), and grab a copy.

The whole magish internet is abuz with the topic and this here is ground zero.

Kudos to the staff of Genii who have resurrected the magazine and established a new level for all others to shoot for. :D

As for this board, it is great that there is no mucking around with goofballs and cyber personalities...well, yet.

May this become the international forum we all dream about!!

Awesome job,

Tom Cutts

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2001, 11:56 am

It is my hope that this board will remain at the level we've started with. If anyone sees the type of stupid postings here that lower the level of some of the other boards, please notify me immediately by e-mail. I'll take action as quickly as possible.

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2001, 11:06 am

Great job on the forum! But I am wasting way too much time here. :D

Jason Mauney

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 4th, 2001, 12:28 pm

Jason, I can assure you that there is no better way to spend your time than on the Genii Forum :)
Seriously, this baby is sucking away so much of my time that I'm having trouble finishing the October issue of Genii! ;)

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2001, 4:54 pm

First, thank you for creating such a site that allows me to converse with other people who share my interest.
This makes an excellent addition to my Genii subscription, and I hope to be a regular reader (at least) and occasional responder.
I don't agree to make it a subscriber only site, as I wandered onto Genii by accident.
Magic is hard enough. I find it very hard to find others that I can talk and share notes with in my area. This forum opens up a whole new world to me.

Thanks,
TiJean

Return to “General”