Merit Magic Set

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Merit Magic Set

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2002, 3:16 pm

Can anyone share with me information regarding the Merit Magic set company? I am specifically seeking information on set #40 - when it was manufactured, how much it retailed for when new, and perhaps current worth today?

Thanks in advance!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Merit Magic Set

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2002, 7:27 pm

I don't think you'll find a lot of information on the Merit company here--it's a British company that has made many many different sorts of magic sets dating back at least 40 years. I used to have several.
All of the later sets were undistinguised with small plastic items. The older sets had more interesting printing and paper items. :genii:
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2002, 3:41 pm

Thanks Richard for the heads-up.

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2002, 2:56 am

Merit Magic sets were manufactured by an English toy company, J & L Randall of Potter's Bar,Middlesex in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I believe that the company has long ceased trading.
Sadly although I worked for them in the late 50s and early 60s I can't remember the prices. I have a 'vague' notion that the prices were around the 2 to 5 mark.
Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2002, 4:53 am

Thank you Wallace for the additional information that you provided.

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2002, 8:10 am

There is a reference to the #20 (not the 40 - sorry) Merit set at this link: Magic Sets , together with many other magic sets. Some prices are shown, and they also have a finding/information service which may be of help to you in researching the 40.

I started with a Merit set as a child, and fondly remember them.

best,

Graham

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2002, 8:20 am

Thank you Graham. However, I did not see the link that you referenced.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 29th, 2002, 8:33 am

Goodman, The link is the underlined word Magic Sets. Just move your cursor there and click.
Graham! Thanks a million for that link. Some very nice and rare magic sets there.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2002, 8:38 am

Thanks!

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2002, 10:42 am

Oh dear Graham, you have reminded me of 'the passage of the years'!!
I possibly sold your Merit set to the shop which sold it to you! :eek:
Love the magic set site which really brought back memories....if I had only kept my 'samples'!! :mad:

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2002, 11:48 am

Yes, It's reminded me that I must visit my parents house and raid the attic to see if my old set is still there from my childhood. I'd love to see it again. It reminds me of doing my first show for my school. Looking back I was terrible, but was carried along by youthful enthusiasm and my home-made props. We didn't have a lot of cash to spare so I made it all from cardboard and dowelling. My magic wand shed it's coat of paint on the first tap and that was an amazing revelation in itself!!! Try that puppy Mr Copperfield :D Flying? Pah!

Take care,

Graham

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”