Original Tarbell Course (all 60 Lessons)

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Original Tarbell Course (all 60 Lessons)

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2002, 2:39 pm

A dear close friend of mine gave me entire Tarbell Course ,all 60 lessons plus all the extras that came with it, for a Christmas gift. The set is in excellent shape being it is 75 years old. Does anyone know how much it is worth? Not that I'm going to sell it, I'm just curious. The whole thing is about 5-6 inches thick, no torn or dog-eared pages. Thanks,

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Original Tarbell Course (all 60 Lessons)

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 14th, 2002, 6:33 pm

An original 60-lesson Tarbell Course in Magic is worth about $60, or $1 per lesson. There are many of them in print and they're not difficult to find.
There are also different versions of some of the lessons, a point I dealt with in a companion to Tarbell I published when Tarbell 8 came out.
The "extras" you speak of are the interesting part, because there is no exact record of these. Can you please list them?
Thanks!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2002, 6:52 pm

The extras I am talking about are for instance in lesson One It comes with the glass and the glass quarter. I have a whole bunch of stuff like that.
Javier

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 14th, 2002, 7:02 pm

Javier,
You have a real find! An Tarbell System with all the props is extremely rare and worth a lot of money. Did your system come in a green metal box?
Does it have a poster with photos for each of the lessons?
Do you want to sell it?

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2002, 7:54 am

No metal box but there are some pictures too.It even has extra envelope with order forms to order adttional supplies as needed. Of course the fprm is brown due to age but none the less it is legable and again no creases or dog-ears.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » January 20th, 2002, 4:53 am

I have a poster of the Tarbell courses. It has been folded (as I guess they were). It also has been ripped along these folds, right now it is still in one piece, but needs to be restored, asking price 500$. Those interested can set up arrangements through this forum. MaxNY

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 20th, 2002, 1:21 pm

Hi Max, your $500 asking price for the poster in that condition seems a bit high. What's the last price that you've heard one of these sell for?

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » January 21st, 2002, 5:04 am

I heard that one sold at the swann Gallery auction about ten years ago. I have never seen another, nor would I know about how to get one... I thank you for opening up this forum, because it allows this type of interaction. $500 is a bit too high, but to others it's an afternoon gig... I found it in the bottom of a box of lecture notes, purchased at an auction, for 15 dollars!

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”