Slydini on film or video

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Bill McFadden

Slydini on film or video

Postby Bill McFadden » September 4th, 2001, 12:11 am

Greetings,

I know that RK recently alluded to a cache of Slydini performances recorded during his last years, but never released. Does anyone know of any source for obtaining performance footage of Slydini (i.e. Dick Cavett Show, other TV appearances, etc.)

Cheers,
McF

Ruben Padilla

Re: Slydini on film or video

Postby Ruben Padilla » September 4th, 2001, 8:42 pm

Years ago I ran into Dick Cavett and asked about the old Slydini footage. Even he had no suggestions as to how to obtain it, and I think you have to rely on the generosity of fellow magicians who have sporadic recordings. Perhaps a posting/plea will yield replies? On a related matter, if you'll forgive my modesty,I took an absolutely beautiful picture of Slydini years ago at one of his final conventions - (full color, seated at table, displaying a coin). I donated a single print to Tannen's years ago, but other than that, no one has seen it. Can anyone (Richard?) tell me the proceedure for getting it out there? Does Genii accept submissions? Can I sell matted and framed prints? I own the negative, and it was a public event - does that give me rights? Must I make a deal with Slydini's estate? There doesn't appear to be too much out there on Slydini (the new annotated book notwithstanding), and so my photo is a prized treasure in my library. Does anybody care? Thanks. :)

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: memetical ]
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 5th, 2001, 11:29 pm

I think Slydini also appeared on Wonderama. The footage of Al Flosso on that show seems to be floating around--how about Slydini? Giving a friend such footage is perfectly legal.
As far as the question about selling a photograph of Slydini, I believe that an arrangement with Slydini's heirs must be made in order for the sale to be legal. Ditto for Dai Vernon, whose sons have been very vigorous recently in asserting their legal rights over the use of his image. If you want to get in touch with Slydini's heir (his nephew, I believe) then call L&L publishing and ask to speak with Louis Falanga about it. He had to make a deal, and he can give you the proper address or phone number.
Good luck!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2001, 3:12 am

Bill,

I have some footage (5-10 minutes) from a Cavett Show appearance in Slydini's later years burried somewhere in my archives.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » September 6th, 2001, 5:59 am

My recollection is that Slydini appeared on two 1977 broadcasts of the Dick Cavett Show produced by WNET/13. While not commercially available, copies of these two half-hour
shows can -- on occasion -- be found. The first show contains performances of his cigarette fantasy, torn and restored cigarette, coins through table, silk knots, cut and restored rope, the equal/unequal ropes, and the torn and restored newspaper; the second broadcast includes the sympathetic silks, Encore Coins, Gemini Coins, the Helicopter Card, paper balls to box, torn and restored cigarette, and the Flight of the Paper Balls. He also appeared on an HBO (?) special hosted by Cavett called Hocus Pocus, It's Magic. Other guests included Mark Wilson, Seigfried and Roy, Tomsoni, and Harry Blackstone Jr. I do believe this show was available on laserdisc.

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: Michael Edwards ]

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2001, 12:38 am

Hello all...this is my first post to this forum.

The thread caught my eye, because I had been wondering about this very question a couple of weeks ago. I was thinking of moseying over to the Museum of Television and Radio (formerly the Museum of Broadcasting) and seeing if the Slydini footage was on file. May yet do so.

I'd thought that the Cavett show was still on the ABC network (running against the Tonight Show) when the Slydini episodes ran, but perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me. Michael, is it possible for you to elaborate on "can -- on occasion -- be found"?

Best,
Ralph

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 8th, 2001, 11:38 am

I know of some Slydini footage, including films made (by Ganson?) of the Master performing in full Argentinian gaucho regalia. It has been said that a video containing this materal was marketed, underground, by a Slydini fan, and included the Cavett footage alluded to by others (such as a performance of perhaps my favorite trick, "The Helicopter Card"), along with other material.

Please don't ask me how I know this.

I also asked Mr. Cavett about the availabiity of Slydini footage (over a dinner with, among others, Penn, Teller and Jamy Ian Swiss!) but received only the same answer recorded elsewhere on this board. He didn't know.

Then, there's the legendary Christian Fechner footage of Slydini, about which I've queried Joe Stevens and Richard K., Tony Spina, and many others. They said Fechner said he was "too busy" to edit and release it.

By the way, a framed poster of Slydini, inscribed to yours truly, adorns my wall.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2001, 3:42 pm

The S.A.M. Film and Tape Library has had at least two VHS tapes available with Slydini's performances, including on the Dick Cavett show. Several years ago, when I purchased it, the main tape was listed in the catalog as item #109. I have not seen a current edition of the catalog, so I don't know if it is still available. The video quality was not great, but was certainly viewable.

The contact information for Jay Gorham, the video librarian, is usually printed in MUM. The most recent ad I have seen for it was in the June issue, page 59.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » September 9th, 2001, 8:56 am

As Jay suggests, for information about the SAM Film and Tape Library contact Jay Gorham, 874 E. Harrison Ct., Gilbert, AZ 85296 (480-722-0427). His email address is jaygorham@aol.com.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 9th, 2001, 9:28 pm

Posted by Matthew Field
"I know of some Slydini footage, including films made (by Ganson?) of the Master performing in full Argentinian gaucho regalia. It has been said that a video containing this materal was marketed, underground, by a Slydini fan . . .
Please don't ask me how I know this. "

Matthew -- How do you know this?? ;) ;)
Bill

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » September 29th, 2001, 4:16 pm

If anyone has the 1st Slydini appearance on the Cavett show, let me know -- especially if you would like to see the second appearance.
- Jeffrey
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Gary

Postby Gary » October 10th, 2001, 9:42 pm

I have the laser disc Cavett show with Slydini on it. I recently transferred it to a VCD since LD in on its way out. The VCD is perfect quality since it was dubbed from a laser disc. I also have a VCD of the first Slydini Special (this from a VCR tape that I made when the show was on TV). However, since these are both copywrited shows.......???? Suggestions???

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”