TODAY IS 43rd ANNIVERSARY!

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
jerry lazar

TODAY IS 43rd ANNIVERSARY!

Postby jerry lazar » February 9th, 2007, 7:55 am

Hey, does everyone remember what happened on this day exactly 43 years ago?... Let me give you a hint: ED SULLIVAN!.... Yep, that's correct!... History was made... A record-breaking American television audience gathered in their living rooms to watch an incredible cultural phenomenon from across the pond... The one, the only.... FRED KAPS!!!... Salt pour!... Homing card!... America was never the same again... (Luckily, his performance has been captured on a best-selling DVD!)...

Re: TODAY IS 43rd ANNIVERSARY!

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2007, 8:25 am

I have a vague memory of the supporting act that Sullivan used on the show for Kaps....the "Battles," or "the Buggles," or something like that. Four English guys with odd hair cuts who played rock and roll. Whatever happened to them?

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » February 9th, 2007, 8:37 am

They couldn't have done too well...I heard they broke up a few years after this show.

-Jim

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 9th, 2007, 9:13 am

I will trade my Fred Kaps autographs for your Beatles autographs. :p
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2007, 2:57 pm

Although Fred Kaps has been the brunt of the layman's joke about "the poor guy who had to follow The Beatles on Sullivan"...Truth is - Fred Kaps was never in the Sullivan theater on that same historic Beatle night. His performance was taped from an earlier appearance.
(at least that's what my sources have always told me).

jerry lazar

Postby jerry lazar » February 13th, 2007, 3:14 pm

Fred Kaps was never in the Sullivan theater on that same historic Beatle night. His performance was taped
True, hence the deafening silence surrounding his act, in stark contrast to the hysterical shrieks of the live studio audience... Although, no disrespect to the legendary Kaps, alas it would've probably been the same had it been the other way around...

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 13th, 2007, 3:42 pm

Oh yes,I'd been bumped two or three times when I was scheduled to do the Sullivan Show. The last time, the producer (Bob Precht, Ed Sullivan's son-in-law)called me on Saturday to tell me that they couldn't put me on the next day, and to apologize. He said, "There's a group coming in from England called The Bugs, and we have to put them on." I think my first time was the week after Fred was on. HARRY LORAYNE.

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » February 13th, 2007, 6:46 pm

True, hence the deafening silence surrounding his act, in stark contrast to the hysterical shrieks of the live studio audience... Although, no disrespect to the legendary Kaps, alas it would've probably been the same had it been the other way around...
I think his performance was recorded earlier in the day, or earlier in the week. I believe I read somewhere it was videotaped during a tech/dress rehearsal.

Certainly his audience was in a different frame of mind than the one that saw the Fab Four.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”