Tarbell

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Kim

Tarbell

Postby Kim » January 30th, 2004, 9:24 pm

This is more of a interesting observation that a story,but I used to work in the post office and one day I noticed the name on the return address of the packages I was mailing for the man was Tarbell. I asked him if he knew about a magician that shared the same name and he said it was his grandfather. What I thought was interesting was that he seemed more ashamed than proud. I guess he didnt sahre the same love of magic or realized how revered his grandfather was.

Bill Duncan

Re: Tarbell

Postby Bill Duncan » January 30th, 2004, 10:17 pm

Interesting... tonight on the Food Network Dwezil and Lisa are visiting a friend's resturant called Tarbell's in Phoenix Az.

I wonder if Mark Tarbell of Phoenix is any relation? He could be... some of his food looks pretty magical.

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2004, 8:14 am

Kim,
How long ago did you see Tarbell's grandson?
Was it in _______, Virginia? Do you remember his name?
If you know the answers to any of the above, you might be able to track him down. Maybe he lives in your area...who knows? He or his family, may have information or photos/papers, etc., that they may let you see. You could learn a different side of Tarbell from the family's point of view. If the grandson acted embarrassed, you don't know if it was because he didn't like attention to himself, or the family has a different,(positive/negative) view of him. Sometimes family conflicts get into the mix of what they remember. It may be they thought, "that magic stuff" was trivial, not caring about it. Some families are proud their grandparents made a living as a magician or mindreader, others are ashamed of it.
Consider this: If you contact them, and ask about Mr. Tarbell, you may be calling them, just before they were ready to clean out the basement and take "all of grandpa's magic junk" to trash man.

Kim

Postby Kim » February 1st, 2004, 9:50 pm

Hi Diego,
yes it was in Virginia and no I dont rememebr his name. This was at least 10 years ago. At the time I had considered pursuing finding out more, but it seemed to me that he really did not want to talk about it.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”