Justin Branch

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Justin Branch

Postby Sam Kesler » January 23rd, 2006, 12:28 pm

Anyone have any information on Justin Branch, especially his two volumes titled CARDS IN CONFIDENCE?

Thanks in advance.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Justin Branch

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 23rd, 2006, 1:06 pm

Hi Sam,

Not sure what kind of info you want. I have both books, though its been years since Ive gotten into them. The one book has material that is toughermuch tougherthan the other volume (I cant recall which is which off the top of my head; and Im not at home). What I best remember is the Marlo-esque style of the instruction; very involved. The material is not necessarily original as far as plots go, but mostly his solutions.

They were not particularly well produced: The volume with the tough material fell apart on me (from having it open trying to follow the material. But I suppose that doesnt matter much. I got the easy volume in the after market. Apparently it originally came with some gaffed cards, but I did not get those.

Thats about all I can recall at the moment.

I dont have much else to say (I know nothing about Mr. Branch).

So would I recommend them? I suppose it depends on price. Card enthusiasts have plenty from which to choose, and I do believe in studying as much as you can if thats your thing. However, I have not been compelled to revisit them.

Dustin

Sam Kesler

Postby Sam Kesler » January 23rd, 2006, 3:45 pm

Thanks very much for the thoughtful reply, Dustin. Just what the doctor ordered on a Monday work day.

Well, these are up at magic auction for $17. each, so one couldn't go too wrong I suppose. I was pleased to hear about the Marlo influence (who wasn't?).

I know what you mean. I have so many card tricks to last a hundred lifetimes (I lean strongly on believing in reincarnation; Mozart writing symponies at 9-years-old? Come on! Happy 250th Birthday, Wolfgang!)

Thanks again, Dustin.

p.s. Are you going to review the Geoff williams Miracles For Mortals DVDs? Check out the a card trick (Don't nod off! You won't regret this I promise) called DEVASTATION (Tom Daugherty) that's been devastating everyone I've shown it to. Killer (and I don't toss that word around very often).

Thanks again for your time. You're still my 2nd(!) favorite magic reviewer of all time. You could be No. 1 if your played your cards right. :D

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 23rd, 2006, 4:23 pm

(Boy: Talk about workin' it! You really do want to win that contest!)

You are welcome. I think $17 to $20 each is a good price.

I never know what I'm going to review until they arrive (unless it's something I purchased: yes, it happens). Nothing has arrived yet for May (I just sent in the March column. You're going to have to wait to see what I reviewed!)

Dustin

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 23rd, 2006, 5:40 pm

Not sure how these compare to the Cards in Confidence volumes, but we have two Justin Branch titles in our current inventory, one at just $12 and the other at $16. Unlikely that we'll be able to restock once sold, as they came to us as part of the incredible inventory of Micky Hades Seattle Sentre a few years back and are likely long out of print now...

Sam Kesler

Postby Sam Kesler » January 23rd, 2006, 6:41 pm

Thanks, Richard. Yes, I saw that listed. You are one of my top searches. Will let you know.

I was also curious about Fulves Methods With Cards. Don't know contents of these either. I just missed vol 1 on ebay for +$30 something. That seemed a little high. I understand there are 3 volumes of about 80 pages each.

Sorry to get off topic! Isn't this hobby fun! :D

p.s. Dustin, sorry if I ran the DVD joke into the ground. I have enough disposable income to buy my own stuff. If you give anything away give it to someone more needy than I. I will refrain from mentioning it again.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 23rd, 2006, 7:59 pm

No such thoughts Sam: Keep having fun!

Dustin

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”