Best Lectures of 2002

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Bill McFadden

Best Lectures of 2002

Postby Bill McFadden » January 1st, 2003, 11:27 am

Happy New Year, everyone! I guess this can now be slotted under "Magic History and Anecdotes:" Who presented the best lecture or workshop you attended during the past year?

In my own case, I can reminisce over some real gems, bearing in mind that I was also privileged to attend the WMS, the SAM Convention, and Card Clinic.

So, among the standouts, in calendar order, I have to list Woody Landers; Steve Beam at the WMS; Eugene Burger's lecture & workshop; Jay Scott Berry's lecture & workshop, Henry Evans; David Parr; R. Paul Wilson at SAM; Nathan Kranzo; 3 days at Card Clinic with Jamy Swiss, Roberto Giobbi, Ken Krenzel & Herb Zarrow; the incomparable Rene Lavand - and the two knockout lectures of the year: David Ben at SAM, and Aaron Fisher at Denny & Lee.

Other pleasant memories include Vanni Bossi, Dan Garrett, Tim Ellis & Sue Ann Webster, Kevin James, Michael Ammar, and Darwin Ortiz.

For this name dropper, it was a VERY good year! :D

Brian Marks

Re: Best Lectures of 2002

Postby Brian Marks » January 1st, 2003, 11:38 pm

I second the David Ben lecture and the Eugene Burger workshop

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2003, 4:09 am

"The Tapestry of Deception" which dissected the points of tension and relaxation in a performance (and how to create them) by Michael Vincent was the highlight 0f 2002 for me. I tore up all my routines and started again on the strength of it.

Randy DiMarco

Postby Randy DiMarco » January 2nd, 2003, 6:33 am

I didn't see many lectures in 2002 but 3 stand out

Earl Nelson - Everything he did was so smooth and so strong

Billy McDonnell - A true underground guy who had our jaws on the floor several times and then he gave us all the details

Troy Hooser - His coin magic looks like the real thing

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » January 2nd, 2003, 9:02 am

I really enjoyed Aaron Fisher's lecture at Denny & Lees and a bunch of lectures at MAES convention in Philly (Euguen Burger, Kevin James, Michael Ammar & Oscar Munoz)

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » January 2nd, 2003, 9:38 am

Bob Fitch (with Bob Kohler) lecturing on theatrical/presentational issues at the LVMI convention in September. Advice so good on performing that it kept everyone in the room well past 2 am.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » January 7th, 2003, 8:30 am

Have to agree with Graham Nichols, "The Tapestry of Deception" by Michael Vincent was the highlight of the year. I have this on video from Michael's website. It is a truly great lecture.

Best wishes to all for 2003

John :D
Best John

Erik Hemming

Postby Erik Hemming » January 7th, 2003, 12:51 pm

John Carney gets my vote.

At a lecture this past summer, under challenging conditions, he delivered one of most visually eloquent, thoughtful, humane and truly inspirational lectures I have ever seen. On any topic.

He's right up there with the Dalai Lama. Seriously.

Mr. Carney cares deeply about magic and about what is good--but not necessarily new--in magic. He presented a lecture that focused on technique and presentation. (Immaculate and polished.) He sold no props, tapes, or books. (He described how to acquire or make the simple props required, in detail, in his lecture.) He was gracious with his time and in his interactions with his audience. In short, he was impressive, inspiring and his magic was astounding.

If I see as good again, I will be lucky.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » January 7th, 2003, 1:04 pm

Best lecture on earth is "The Invisible Hand" by Michel Clavello and Greco. Seeing is believing. Pure magic.

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2003, 10:53 pm

My vote goes to Nathan Kranzo.

Nate is part of Magic The Next Generation. He has amazing work with everything from cards and coins to breath mints and tan lines (really!).

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 9th, 2003, 12:15 am

My vote goes to Magic Christian (Christian Stelzel) from Austria. I saw him present a lecture on stand-up magic and it was superb. His lecture was filled with commercial material and practical advice for the working performer.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 9th, 2003, 12:17 pm

I liked Chad Long's lecture--he is one funny dude.
Stay tooned.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » January 9th, 2003, 12:45 pm

Al Schneider, Cellini and Johnny Thompson, not necessarily in any order.All were outstanding for different reasons.

Oliver Corpuz

Postby Oliver Corpuz » January 9th, 2003, 5:18 pm

For best 2002 lecture, I also vote for the Fitch & Kohler lecture at the Las Vegas Magic Invitational.
- Oliver

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2003, 8:16 pm

Jorge Alexander's lecture at the SAM was outstanding, especially his work on Nate Liepzig's Sympathetic Ten. David Ben's presentation was equally thoughtful and polished.

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » February 13th, 2003, 12:34 am

Charles Gauci - reputation makers.
Best John

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”