Robert Harbin's missing manuscript

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Robert Harbin's missing manuscript

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2006, 10:52 am

I was just looking through my Magic of Robert Harbin book and came across something I never noticed before.
The Preface written by Harbin had a P.S at the bottom which read:
"P.S. I have written a book almost as big as this one, just after the war. The manuscript was sold to George Davenport, and it is still with the family. I have tried to buy it back--but without success. So one day watch out for the Lost Book of Harbin."

Can anyone shed any light on this at all? It sure sounds like it would be worth looking for.

Baph

Re: Robert Harbin's missing manuscript

Postby Baph » January 12th, 2006, 8:33 am

I asked Betty about this a few years back. They had a lot of "stuff" in storage which was destroyed. They wearehoused it in Bermondsey, and due to sheer weight of the items, things were crushed, and they couldn't take time to sort it out. She thinks that the book manuscript was there, and so is now really lost.

Jon/baph
www.pentaclemagazine.org

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2006, 3:31 pm

Jon,
I actually e-mailed Davenports and they do have the manuscript. However was not sure if they were going to publish it. Too bad huh ?
Rennie

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 14th, 2006, 6:45 pm

They also have Edward Victor's fourth book (unpublished). No plans on publishing that, either, from what I can tell. Whenever I ask about it I am met with silence and a rapid change of subject.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matt Adams

Postby Matt Adams » January 5th, 2013, 2:07 pm

I know it's an old thread - but am including this for posterity.

Harbin's "Lost Book" has been published by Davenports. It's called "Magic Marches On" and is included in "Davenport Story Series - Vol 2."

You can find it here: http://www.davenportsmagic.co.uk/acatal ... -1944.html

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2013, 2:45 pm

Yes, all FOUR of the Davenport's books that Fergus Roy has done are great.

The second volume contains not only the lost Harbin book, but also lost books by Edward Victor and an amazing book by G.W. Hunter that was never published. Terrific stuff.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”