Mind Power Deck

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Mind Power Deck

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2002, 12:47 pm

Hi,

I have been told that Slydini used a deck featuring the very same principle to divine a thought-of card.

Do you know:
- if it's true?
- if so, on what aspects Kennedy and Conover worked?

Any complimentary historical info is of course welcome.

Thanks,

Julien.

John Pezzullo

Re: Mind Power Deck

Postby John Pezzullo » February 16th, 2002, 5:08 pm

I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Mike Rogers several years ago whilst he was in Sydney performing at a trade show. In his trade show performances he performed an effect that was similar to that of the 'Mind Power Deck'. The effect was direct and strong.

Discussing this effect with Mike a few days later, he mentioned that it belonged to Richard Hatch. If I remember correctly, Mike mentioned that Hatch's routine had been published in an issue of "The Linking Ring".

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » February 16th, 2002, 7:39 pm

An update on my earlier posting.

I contacted Richard Hatch by e-mail and he sent me a reply advising that the effect performed by Mike Rogers was Richard Osterlind's 'Radar Deck' which unlike 'Mind Power Deck' uses playing cards with regular faces.

From Richard's e-mail:

"While Rich (Osterlind) was playing with the
concept and showed it to me, I gave him an idea that eliminated the overt fishing (use more than one spectator simultaneously). Rich contributed the effect (later marketed) to the LINKING RING using both our names, which I hadn't expected. A different name was used. This would have been around 1985."

Richard then writes:

"I have heard many trade show workers say it
is among the strongest things they do."

I'd have to agree with this statement after having watched Mike Rogers perform this effect.

At the time I was working as a duty manager at an apartment hotel close to the convention venue where Mike was performing. A number of the guests staying at the hotel were attending that particular trade show. Chatting with two hotel guests that had seen Mike perform earlier that day, I asked them which effect had most impressed them. Both concurred that Mike's 'mind reading' with playing cards had blown them away.

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2002, 12:20 pm

Richard Osterlind does a performance only of the Radar Deck on his video "Challenge Magic." After seeing the tape, Richard Hatch referred me to the Linking Ring article. The effect is outstanding and has some nice refinements to similar type decks. I have since used the effect with some modifications and have always received a fantastic response.

Carl.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » February 17th, 2002, 4:06 pm

To Jamy Swiss:

Getting back to Julien's question, was this related to the deck you bought from Slydini at the first New York Magic Symposium in '82?

Steve H

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”