2 Houdini Book Questions

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Kevin Connolly

2 Houdini Book Questions

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 17th, 2007, 7:19 pm

This first book was first mentioned in another thread by Clay Shevlin.

Aeonian Press unauthorized reprint (Mattituck, NY, n.d.) of Milbourne Christophers Houdini: The Untold Story (300 copies versus thousands of copies

I also ran across another limited edition Houdini book with the title The Great Houdini by Williams & Epstein. It is limited to 80 copies and is hard bound. I would guess circa 1980.

Anyone have any info on these? Rarity, value, etc.?

Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Re: 2 Houdini Book Questions

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2007, 7:38 pm

Kev,

The publisher's edition statement for the Aeonian Press pirate is probably accurate. At least, I don't tend to question it. IMHO, it's not a rare book, or even scarce, etc. As to value, I have two variant bindings, and I paid about $20 and $15 for a mint condition copy of each, if memory serves, within the last few years.

As you no doubt know, the Williams/Epstein book went through an untold number of reprints (that I know of, at least 12 of the hardback version and 21 of the paperback version), probably in large part due to its popularity in the elementary schools.

I wasn't aware of the 80-copy-print-run edition you've mentioned. Do you have any info on the publisher, pagination, if it had a dustjacket, etc?

Clay

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 17th, 2007, 8:00 pm

Clay,

I think I paid the same for mine years back too. I also paid $200 for signed Houdini photos years back, but now the market passes me by. That's why the Christopher book may be more now. With new Houdini blood in the market over the years, many haven't even heard of this edition. Or the variations. ;)

The other one wasn't issued with a DJ. It has an image of Houdini in gold foil or ink on the front cover.

I'm holding back on the other info, as from what I can tell, other Houdini collectors don't even know it exists. ;)

Thanks for the quick reply,
Kevin
Please visit my website.

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Postby JohnCox » July 5th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Kevin Connolly wrote:This first book was first mentioned in another thread by Clay Shevlin.

Aeonian Press unauthorized reprint (Mattituck, NY, n.d.) of Milbourne Christophers Houdini: The Untold Story (300 copies versus thousands of copies

I also ran across another limited edition Houdini book with the title The Great Houdini by Williams & Epstein. It is limited to 80 copies and is hard bound. I would guess circa 1980.

Anyone have any info on these? Rarity, value, etc.?

Kevin

Hey Kevin. Yes, I have the Christopher one. Nabbed it off Amazon a while back. It's a facsimile of the original hardcover without the photos. Aside from the limited print run, nothing really special about it.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

garciadini

Postby garciadini » July 29th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Guys, I am curious. I have a copy of Houdini:The untold Story published by Aeonian press c.1969 Lim 300 Tan Hard cover No dj. My question is where they ever issued with a dj. and what might be the other variant binding if we consider my tan copy one type of binding?

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » July 29th, 2009, 3:46 pm

No dust jacket was issued, just shrink-wrapped. The other variant would be blue.
Please visit my website.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”