Ambidextrous Magi throughout history

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Ambidextrous Magi throughout history

Postby Guest » July 15th, 2003, 6:53 am

Does anyone have any information on sleight of hand artists- yesterday and today- who were known to be ambidextrous (able to use either hand for sleights with equal faculty) either in practice or performance.

I believe that L'Homme Masque met this criteria, but I am not sure of this. Any confirmation?

Thank you in advance for any information on this, admittedly, strange question.

Michael

Pete Biro

Re: Ambidextrous Magi throughout history

Postby Pete Biro » July 15th, 2003, 9:59 am

I think you will find a lot of magicians using both hands...

After seeing some performers from Spain, at a FISM, years ago... it was noted that two men in one coat could do really strong card work, one using his right hand, the other his left.
:D
Stay tooned.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » July 15th, 2003, 12:25 pm

Originally posted by Sterling52:
Does anyone have any information on sleight of hand artists- yesterday and today- who were known to be ambidextrous (able to use either hand for sleights with equal faculty) either in practice or performance.I believe that L'Homme Masque met this criteria, but I am not sure of this. Any confirmation?

Michael
Yes, Michael. L'Homme Masque reportedly met this criteria. For a rather complete account of his life and art, take a look at the July 15,2000 Genii cover story, The Magic and Mystery of L'Homme Masque (Vol. 63, No. 7, Pages 20-41).

Michael Edwards

Postby Guest » July 15th, 2003, 12:40 pm

it was noted that two men in one coat could do really strong card work, one using his right hand, the other his left.
Precisely, Mr. Biro!

July 15,2000 Genii cover story, The Magic and Mystery of L'Homme Masque (Vol. 63, No. 7, Pages 20-41).
Thank you for the reference Mr. Edwards. I seem to recall that article...now to go dig it up. Surely there must be other performers who practiced/performed in this manner.

Michael

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » July 16th, 2003, 12:48 am

Pete is referring to "Los Mancos" who were Juan Tamariz and ?. Very, very funny.
Anthony

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » July 16th, 2003, 6:52 am

Originally posted by Anthony Brahams:
Pete is referring to "Los Mancos" who were Juan Tamariz and ?. Very, very funny.
I recalled it being Juan Tamariz and Juan Anton. :confused:

Michael

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2003, 8:01 am

Originally posted by Michael Edwards:
Originally posted by Anthony Brahams:
[b] Pete is referring to "Los Mancos" who were Juan Tamariz and ?. Very, very funny.
Harley, I recalled it being Juan Tamariz and Juan Anton. :confused:

Michael [/b]
You are correct, Los Mancos was made up of Juan Anton and Juan Tamariz. I posted in error and deleted the post.

HR

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”