Exhibition including Magic at Lincoln Center

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Tom Klem

Exhibition including Magic at Lincoln Center

Postby Tom Klem » November 29th, 2006, 7:35 am

An exhibition called "Stars and Treasurers: 75 Years of Collecting Theatre" opened on November 21, 2006 and continues to May 5, 2007. This exhibition has a small section dedicated to the Art of Magic. It is in the Donald and Mary Oenslager Gallery in the New York Public Library For the Performing Arts/ Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center at 40 Lincoln Center Plaza. Lincoln Center is roughly found at 66 Street and Broadway in Manhattan/NYC.

The exhibition has many wonderful pieces and letters from the their closed collections. The magic section has posters of these magicians - one Houdin, one Houdini, two Herrmann, one Thurston, and and one Annie Abbott poster. There is a case with an original Houdini letter and four original Houdini jailbreak certificates for jails he escaped from plus a few other items.

I went to the opening of this exhibiton and personal found it pleasing to see Magic included in such an exhibition. The Magic section is respectable but not large.

If you are in New York City for the Holidays perhaps you might enjoy this exhibition. For hours it is open you can call 212 870 1600.

I am not connected to the Library. I just thought some of you might enjoy seeing this exhibition.

Tom Klem
Artist/Historian

Kevin Connolly

Re: Exhibition including Magic at Lincoln Center

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 29th, 2006, 11:04 am

That was the place to go about 25-30 years ago. They use to have flea markets of their duplicate donations every so often. You could pick-up a signed Houdini photo, from his collection, for a buck-a-pop. :D
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » November 29th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Kevin

Having seen their collection of magic material recently I can report they still have a massive collection of orginal magic material. I know in the distant past items were sold and some were stolen. This material I speak of is in the closed collections.

Much needs preservation and restoring.

Best,

Tom Klem

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 29th, 2006, 7:09 pm

You can throw in destroyed too. I once saw them open a locked Goldston book with the cutest little crowbar. It was much easier than to look for the key. :eek:
Please visit my website.

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » November 30th, 2006, 5:32 am

Kevin:

I do not argue the with your accounts from the past. It is true they do not know the value of the material they have. At one point several years ago the S.A.M. Parent Assembly requested the return of our material from the Library. Many books were returned including a locked Goldston Book with a broken lock. I am still cataloging this now safe material.

The Library still has amazing material that needs restoration. I personal think it is important to save this material for future generations. I am going to work to do so.

I understand you are angry about their actions in the past and may not want to go to their exhibition. I am sure you are not alone in your feelings.

Tom Klem

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 30th, 2006, 7:03 am

Tom,

I'm not angry with anyone. I'm just telling you some first hand stories that I had. I have a hard enough time keeping up my collection.

BTW Years ago I worked on finding the lists of material that was on loan to the library. The Parent Assmebly didn't have a clue. I also had Houdini's wand collection here for awhile.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Please visit my website.

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » November 30th, 2006, 7:46 am

Kevin:

Thank god magicians like you have collected materials. By starting your own collections many years ago I am sure much material was saved. Unlike many other communities magicians save their history.

I am not surprised the Parent Assembly could not tell you what was donated the the New York Public Library so many years ago. The Parent Assembly's archive is not cataloged. Our Archive Committee is doing it now. I formed this committee to do so.

I can not change the past. I can only work to save what now still exists. We will both work in our own ways to save this history.

Thank you,

Tom Klem

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 30th, 2006, 8:16 am

Tom,

No, not me. The Parent Assembly approached me to find out the titles. As I remember it, the library wanted to get rid of the collections because they didn't have room (and ownership). The last time I heard of it, it was in a basement on Long Island.

I wonder if they ever got all the little labels back on to the right wands. ;) I would have loved to have kept the Bosco tip with Houdini autograph. :o

Kevin
Please visit my website.

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » November 30th, 2006, 10:10 am

Kevin:

I was not asking you to help me or the library.

What I meant was in our separate ways we are working to save this history.

I do not need lists of the materials and books orginal donated to the library. I now have several.

I wish you well.

Tom Klem

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 30th, 2006, 11:34 am

What I meant by "no, not me", was I didn't approach the Parent Assembly, they approached me for help to find out what was there. I found three different lists, two of them they never heard of. I got them a good running start.

It's a shame in 10+ years, they can't get their act together and find a home for these items.
Please visit my website.

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » November 30th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Kevin

I do not know who you were talking to for I have only been with the Parent Assembly for a few years. It is true our achive was in storage in Brooklyn for many years. It has been moved to Manhattan and we are cataloging it.

This material is home with us at the Parent Assembly. It will be preserved and saved for generations to come.

We have "our act together".

Tom Klem

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » December 1st, 2006, 7:23 am

The exhibition "Stars and Treasures" is reviewed in todays New York Times -Dec.1,2006. A small picture of a Houdini poster appears on the cover of the Weekend Arts & Leisure section and it is review in three columns on page E33.

I wish they had used the Herrmann poster with him bursting out of a globe which is rarer. The reviewer liked the show.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 1st, 2006, 4:30 pm

Tom

I don't want to get into a pissing match with you. I'm just going on my info from 10 plus years ago. If it's still being catalogued, not permantely housed and no access, then in 10+ years, no one has their act together there. At that time, they had the resources to do all of the above.

I'm still glad I got the ball rolling on this project a decade+ ago. I just thought it would have rolled farther.

You can have the last say, it's your thread. I will not reply further.

Kevin
Please visit my website.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”