Unpublished Vernon books

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Unpublished Vernon books

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2003, 5:03 pm

The other day, I chatted with Bruce Cervon about the unpublished Vernon material, and he informed me that he has a substantial amount.

Does anyone know why this hasn't yet been published; what the extent of other unpublished material is; who else has jurisdiction over this material; and when the next Vernon book will be published?

Also, is there any other Vernon videotape out there?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Unpublished Vernon books

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 8th, 2003, 6:11 pm

The estate of Dai Vernon has jurisdiction over all of Dai Vernon's material, as well as the use of his image for commercial purposes. Nothing can proceed without their consent.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 8th, 2003, 6:45 pm

At one time Cervon was said to be involved in the decision making on Vernon material.

However, I have since heard that David Ben is the man representing the Estate.

Correct???
Stay tooned.

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » April 9th, 2003, 2:03 pm

If another collection were printed, do you think it would be volume 5 or a new book?

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2003, 9:25 am

On Vernon's success, I remember when we were shooting some TV thing with Orson Welles and Kuda Bux at the Castle sitting at the bar watching Dai over across in his corner with some innocent visitors.

They obviously thought they had been cornered by some old fart intent on showing them a trick, and were impatiently patient. Vernon played it for all it was worth, chomping cigar, muttering.

They watched courteously for a time, then I saw them all, simultaneously, as if drawn by some invisible wires, bend forward with looks of uncomprehending utter astonishment.

My vote is, Vernon was a success.

Hey, Pete. Here is that picture:
http://home.pinehurst.net/chappell/chappell.jpg

Did you ever get out in the garage, and past all the cars that must be there by now to look for any old, beat-up copper cups of yours?
:rolleyes:

Pepka

Postby Pepka » April 10th, 2003, 10:21 am

David Ben is the legal representative for the Vernon family and Vernon's estate. I spoke with him a few years ago regarding an unauthorized print of Vernon. I managed to buy a copy before the seller was told to stop producing and selling them. It is beautiful and one of my favorite posessions. I believe David is working on a biography, (no tricks)not sure when it will be released, but I imagine it will be worh the wait.
Pepka

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2003, 12:20 pm

Interesting, wonder why the switchof executors.
MartinJ

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 11th, 2003, 6:18 pm

There has been no switch of executors. David Ben was appointed by Vernon's sons to deal with the rights to the use of Vernon's image and material since he is both an attorney AND involved in the magic community. They also trust him and they are NOT involved in the magic community.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”