Not a magician

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Not a magician

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2006, 1:41 am

Did you know that Vernon never admitted he was a magician. When asked or required to fill in a form as to his occupation he always wrote "artist." When asked to do a trick for people he deemed not worthy - he would say "I don't do tricks anymore." i BEGGED HIM OFTEN TO SHOW HIS OWN GRANDCHILDREN A TRICK . He would never do it.

Re: Not a magician

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2006, 9:13 am

It's understandable.Nothing worse that being expected to perform 24-7.
In every day job i have ever had, i have held back the magic, because I just dont want to do it unless i want to.
Naturaly when there is an audience, Its easy.
but it has to be on my terms.If you know what i mean.
My family hardly ever see me do stuff. Ive tons of nieces and nephiews, all of who know that when they see something, its special.
Can you imagine what it would be like if magic became common place?

Re: Not a magician

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2006, 10:01 am

It was suggested on the Spirit of Magic tape that Vernon really didn't like performing -- did you find that to be the case? Did he turn down professional work or just demure in impromptu situations? Was this mainly when he was older or when he was young as well? Was any reluctance to perform tied into his being such a perfectionist?

I apologize for all the questions, but I really find this fascinating. It's obvious from his working for the very rich and in very exclusive night clubs that he was a great performer -- I simply wonder why he didn't perform more.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”