Al Davis and Dr. Robert Albo?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Al Davis and Dr. Robert Albo?

Postby NCMarsh » August 17th, 2007, 1:28 pm

There is a great piece on NYTimes.com about Raiders owner Al Davis...it includes this paragraph:

The Saturday night dinners Davis gives before road games have a more jovial feel. Otto, Hendricks and Blanda are often there, joined by Daviss friend Dr. Robert Albo; his brother, Jerry; and their wives, including Daviss wife of nearly 53 years, Carol, whom he calls Car-OH-lee. Unusual for Davis, there is not a word of football discussed. More recently, Davis has also discouraged the discussion of politics, owing to tense arguments that Hendricks says predate the current Bush administration. Davis never drinks alcohol, but hes a lively host, and the conversation hops from military history to womens basketball to one of Daviss secret passions, music. Among the many friends Davis has eulogized over the years are the jazz singers Sarah Vaughn and Billy Eckstine. The eulogy is one of Daviss best mediums he is sweet and often funny, even for those with whom he crossed swords.
Anyone know if this is "our" Dr. Robert Albo?

Best,

N.

Re: Al Davis and Dr. Robert Albo?

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2007, 2:18 pm

It is indeed "our" Doc Albo, who has for many years been one of the team physicians for the Raiders and the Warriors.

CHS

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » August 17th, 2007, 2:57 pm

He wears the championship rings from one of the teams. Much better looking than a Himber ring. :D
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Just want to be the third to add.

Yes it is.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 20th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Doc Albo is often seen on the sidelines of the Raider games and his wife Marge sometimes is seen on TV when the video cameras try to see Al Davis in the suite.

Bob and Marge go to all the Raider games as he is the team's "Chief Medical Officer."

Sidebar: The original owner of the Raiders, Mr. McGaw's daughter was MY BABY SITTER when I was a couple of years old.

I first met Doc Albo when we both worked for the San Francisco Seals Hockey Team. He was sewing up players and I was the team's photographer.

We knew each other for about a year before we "discovered" we were both into magic.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2007, 8:21 pm

Pete, you had a baby sitter?

I was hoping to see Dr. Albo
at the Magic Collector's but
I didn't see him at all.

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Dr. Albo is a verrrrry well known guy in the bay area and I'm talking outside of magic. I've met more people who have met him and remember it than any other person and everyone likes him.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 20th, 2007, 10:03 pm

Few people know that at an early age Albo was a DISNEY ANIMATION ARTIST. He was also a close pal of George Schulz, cartoonist of Peanuts fame. Doc gave the Eulogy for Shultz when he passed on. I forget the name of the "other" well-known tennis pro that died the same time as Schulz and Albo gave a Eulogy at his funeral THE SAME DAY, getting around in a chartered airplane (the services were several hundred miles apart, one in Santa Rosa, the other in Carmel, Calif.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2007, 10:46 pm

With all due respect Pete, of course you meant Charles Shulz, not George. But George Shultz is another Bay Area celeb (former Secretary of State)
I almost stepped on his toes waiting in line at Safeway. That was bizzare.

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2007, 12:03 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Few people know that at an early age Albo was a DISNEY ANIMATION ARTIST. He was also a close pal of George Schulz, cartoonist of Peanuts fame. Doc gave the Eulogy for Shultz when he passed on. I forget the name of the "other" well-known tennis pro that died the same time as Schulz and Albo gave a Eulogy at his funeral THE SAME DAY, getting around in a chartered airplane (the services were several hundred miles apart, one in Santa Rosa, the other in Carmel, Calif.
I didn't know he was animation artist but it
makes sense now, since he does all his drawings
in his book.

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2007, 12:47 pm

He does not do all the drawings in his books, but has done the majority of them. C.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 21st, 2007, 1:07 pm

Charles it is... sorry.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2007, 6:31 pm

Its OK Pete, I did the same thing
when I got Doug Henning first wife
name wrong, over & over & over again.

we are apart of a very exclusive club.

Rick Ruhl