Looking for P&L illustrations

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Glenn Godsey

Looking for P&L illustrations

Postby Glenn Godsey » June 20th, 2002, 12:24 pm

I recently obtained the P&L book and, as an artist, I am disapointed at the poor quality of the reproductions of the great P&L graphics. Only the few full page illustrations are good quality. The others have been overly reduced and lost too much detail. Does anyone know where I can find good quality and decent size P&L ads, etc. I have a few in my old Douglas Magicland catalog. Are there any other old catalogs that I should look for?

Many thanks,
Glenn Godsey

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Looking for P&L illustrations

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 20th, 2002, 3:00 pm

I'd start with the original P&L Catalogues!
You'll also find excellent reproductions in The Sphinx, since it was printed on glossy stock.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » June 20th, 2002, 9:32 pm

Glenn;
I'd check with Bob Keyser who owns all of the P&L trademarks, etc. I believe he has all of the original artwork.

You might try:
Bob Keyser <pl_collector@yahoo.com>

That's the last address I had for him. Nice guy, BTW ;)

Jim

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » June 21st, 2002, 2:59 am

Ditto Jim's suggestion. Another great resource would be Derek Kennedy, whose exhibition of his remarkable P&L collection at the Magic Collector's Weekend last month was truly wonderful.

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » June 21st, 2002, 12:07 pm

Don't forget to get a copy of the fabulously detailed P&L Book from Byron Walker

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 21st, 2002, 2:26 pm

Mr. Kane, I believe the P&L book is the one he's referring to with lousy reproductions.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » June 21st, 2002, 2:35 pm

My apologies, I misread the thread. :)

Glenn Godsey

Postby Glenn Godsey » June 21st, 2002, 4:56 pm

Yes, the P&L book is a fabulous publication and I don't mean to be critical of it as a book of magic history. But, I am an art professor and I bought the book PRIMARILY for the illustrations rather than the documentary history. If you have the book, compare the "Manipo" illustration on page 82 to the full page version on page 58: you will easily see why I am disapointed at the reduced size graphics. Many thanks to all of you for your help.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey

Glenn Godsey

Postby Glenn Godsey » June 21st, 2002, 5:02 pm

By the way, I don't recall ever seeing a P&L catalog for sale and they probably go for "collectors' prices". I am not a collector and good scans of the ads would serve my purposes.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » June 21st, 2002, 5:56 pm

Glenn:

I really may be wrong on this one, but I believe that P&L only put out two full stapled catalogs -- one in 1939 and one in the 1950's -- though they did produce a large number of flyers, leaflets, and even newspapers. Derek Kennedy was giving away facsimile copies of the full 1939 "Ultra" Magical Effects catalog (along with some of the pages from the later catalog explaining items that were not in the previous volume) at last month's Magic Collectors Weekend held in Ft. Worth. I believe you can reach Derek at magiccostume@hotmail.com.

Michael Edwards

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”