Clippo, origins, variations etc...

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Clippo, origins, variations etc...

Postby C. Hampton » August 25th, 2003, 4:15 pm

I will be preparing an articule soon on clippo, and was wondering if anyone can help as giving me references for history, originators, variations, and even copyright.

Your help and wisdom is always appreciated guys.

Carlos Hampton ;)
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Re: Clippo, origins, variations etc...

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2003, 5:24 pm

Clippo is a great trick credited to Will De Seive.

When I was a kid, my father bought me a variation of Clippo called 'Clipper.' It was put out by Professor George "Meet Me Face To Face" Miles here in New York City. It was around 1965 and I still have the directions and nice illustrated envelope.

eMail me for more info.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » August 26th, 2003, 6:40 pm

Thanks Dough,

I cannot believe that Mr Biro is not jumping on this one.

Anyone else???
Carlos Hampton

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » August 27th, 2003, 12:27 pm

"Clippo" is often credited to Will de Seive, whose version was marketed in 1937 to great success. However, the original version was J. J. Kolar's "Magic Shears," marketed in 1929.

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » August 29th, 2003, 4:29 am

Hi Max.

iTS Funny, but this subject has come up
on another web site .
The references i have come across, to Kolar, suggest that the clippo effect was only a part of a routine using " magic scissors".
There seems to be a lot of mentions of the string and straw trick,so loved by exposure shows, and kids books.
What are your thoughts on this?
regards..
Dale

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » August 29th, 2003, 7:36 am

On the subject of variations, I came across a secret use of the Clippo principle in a diabolically clever fake envelope devised by Ted Lesley and explained in his book Paramiracles.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » August 29th, 2003, 1:44 pm

Originally posted by Dale Shrimpton:
There seems to be a lot of mentions of the string and straw trick,so loved by exposure shows, and kids books.
What are your thoughts on this?
Not sure I understand your question. The string-and-straw trick was also invented by J. J. Kolar. If your question is whether that was part of the "Magic Shears" routine, the answer is no, it was sold as a separate item.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 29th, 2003, 2:58 pm

In the Jan 2003 issue of Magic, Jim Steinmeyer published his presentation for the Clippo trick.

The idea is he's going to present the Cut and Restored Rope Trick, which he bought from the local magic shop. He opens an envelope and pulls out a piece of rope and... a long, narrow sheet of instructions.

As he reads the instructions, some of them don't seem necessary, so he cuts them out of the middle. But the paper restores itself. The magician doesn't notice, and keeps on cutting instructions out of the paper, which keeps restoring itself.

For years I've been looking for a good effect whose presentation can be built around reading the instructions. This is a terrific example. (So is Simon Aaronson's Side Swiped).

BTW Jim Steinmeyer says that after Kolar invented the basic principle (as Max Maven has indicated), it was Harlan Tarbell who began performing it with columns of newspaper, which is the version popularized by Will DeSiever and marketed as Clippo.

I can't help but wonder if the newspaper version could be combined with the old bit of moving a scissors along a strip of newsprint and cutting where the audience tells you to stop, then revealing that you had predicted this exact spot. Maybe you try to do this trick, but the paper doesn't fall (clippo), then finally you throw away the clippo sheet and bring out another.

The comedy of the first bit would be a nice setup for the real magic of the prediction. And you'd throw away the gaffed clippo sheet, being left with only the ungaffed prediction paper.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » August 29th, 2003, 3:33 pm

I've seen Clippo variations done with a drawing of a fish and with a weiner dog but unfotunately can't remember who marketed them or what they were called. A variation that I can reference is the double bill restoration found in the Mark Wilson course.

Frank Yuen

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2003, 4:56 pm

Richard Himber (of Himber wallet fame) had a routine using two single bills in an envelope. The bills are prepared ala 'Clippo' for a very interesting routine and presentation. It was published in Genii magazine in the early to mid sixties. I have a routine published in Lorayne's Apocalypse that was fashioned after this routine and rightfully credited to Himber.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » August 31st, 2003, 3:24 pm

I want to apologize for not replying before, but I've been without a computer for a few days.
Thanks everyone that gave me pointers, not only here but via e-mail, you guys have been very helpful.

I found the fish variation mentioned by Mr Yuen in a booklet called Smart Stuff by George McAthy's and the presentation is called Fish Clippo.

I was not aware of the Steinmeyer presentation, it sounds very interesting, I will have to research it.

Thanks again
Carlos Hampton

Jack Poulter

Postby Jack Poulter » September 11th, 2003, 11:55 am

Some years ago, in Genii, the late Don Lawton offered his "scripts" on Clippo. I don't know if they are still available from his estate.

In addition,"The Whole Art of Clippo Revealed...and More!" by Ronald J. Dayton is published by Hades Publications. This contains a number of variations using the Clippo principle.

Jack.
Old Jack
On an Island in the Pacific

themaestro

Postby themaestro » September 11th, 2003, 2:40 pm

Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
I can't help but wonder if the newspaper version could be combined with the old bit of moving a scissors along a strip of newsprint and cutting where the audience tells you to stop, then revealing that you had predicted this exact spot.
T.A. Waters has an effect called "Clippoline" in MIND MYTH & MAGIC which is a neat newspaper clipping prediction that uses CLippo as the method.

Nowlin

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2003, 8:13 pm

Dominic Paolino (P.Cinimod) put out a version called Snip It. The instruction sheet has a copyright date of 1978.

Some points made in the instructions were:

Fold the paper backwards and cut, showing two seperate pieces, then cut again, causing the halves to seal; make an angled cut, showing the paper restored at an angle, then re-cut to make it straight again; use a spectator in a you-do-as-I-do routine where the spectator fails and you succeed.

He also suggests dull scissors work best, or scissors with a slight play in the blades. --Asrah

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2003, 11:38 pm

Carlos... OK, for you I jump in. :cool:

However... I don't know Jack about Clippo. I never tried it, I never liked it and I will probably never do it. :p

But... that doesn't mean it isn't great. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2003, 11:39 pm

I do like, and use, Fresh Fish Sold Here Today.
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2003, 11:40 pm

I do like Fresh Fish Sold Here
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2003, 11:41 pm

I do like Fresh Fish Sold
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2003, 11:41 pm

I do like Fresh Fish
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2003, 11:42 pm

I do like Fish
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2003, 11:42 pm

I do like Fresh Fish Sold Here Today
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2003, 11:43 pm

Perhaps I have too much free time :confused: :whack: :sleep:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2003, 3:18 am

Hi Carlos,

May be you already know about the "CLIPPO" chapter in Gene Anderson and Frances Marshall's book "Newspaper Magic" including historical references, details on how to prepare it and routines from Ed Marlo(2), Bert Douglas, George McAthy, Sid Fleishman&Bob Gunther.

Another Clippo use, from Gene Anderson's act, to obtain the sequence HELL>O HELL> HELLO with cut out letters is published in his lecture notes "The Partial Time Pro". In this case the clippo principle is used only once combined with fair and fake cut out letters with a very interesting result.

Best to all
Camilo

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 13th, 2003, 11:12 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Perhaps I have too much free time :confused:
Pete, till you wrote that post I had no respect for that 'fresh fish' torn and restored paper trick.

Your idea of combining clipo and that paper is wonderful! Thanks for sharing :cool:
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Michael Jay

Postby Michael Jay » September 14th, 2003, 8:45 am

As Dale has mentioned above, it is coincidental how this topic came up, as I am also writing an article on "Clippo" to add to my on-line library. Presently, I'd like to thank everyone for the excellent information and, if there is anyone else who has some historical notes on this effect, I'm all ears!

Adding my own, limited knowledge to this thread, I'd like to note that another effect that is based on the Clippo principle can be found in Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia. The effect is done with two 1 dollar bills, cutting them through the middle and they instantly restore, simultaneously. This use of the Clippo principle is called "Inflation," and credited to Peter Pit.

Mike.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”