Diary Trick

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Diary Trick

Postby C. Hampton » January 5th, 2004, 12:20 pm

Can anyone tell me a little bit about the bibliography about this trick?

I know that Bornstein has a marketed method, I am familiar with the version described by Michael Close in his worker #5.

What else is out there? Who originated the effect?

Thanks for your wisdom....
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Frank Yuen

Re: Diary Trick

Postby Frank Yuen » January 5th, 2004, 12:32 pm

Paul Green and Paul Gordon both have marketed versions of this effect. I believe the effect was originated by Alex Elmsley.

Frank Yuen

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » January 5th, 2004, 1:59 pm

There is also a version "Perpetual Calendar" by Peter Duffie and Aldo Colombini marketed through Aldo Colombini.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » January 5th, 2004, 2:00 pm

There is also a version "Perpetual Calendar" by Peter Duffie and Aldo Colombini marketed by Aldo Colombini.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 5th, 2004, 2:20 pm

Eric Mason had a handling from Stuff. I do not know which came first, his or Elmsley's.

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2004, 11:42 pm

I've looked at only a couple of these Book of Days effects, and I don't perform any, but the question occurs:

After the effect is done, does anybody ever ask to see the Book of Days?

It seems likely that, even if someone asks to examine the calendar, attempting to look for a pattern, which seems unlikely, that the magician could finesse it.

"Would you just think of a card?" might be an effective diversionary tactic.

What I mean is:

Elmsley's arrangement of cards in the calendar seems sufficient. Aronson's arrangement is genius, but isn't it overkill?

And: How strong is this effect, really?

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2004, 6:41 am

I understand that the present diary tricks date from an effect of Ted Danson's, first published in the 1960's which used six diarys.
He refers to Arthur Carter, who published a different version in Magic Wand earlier.

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » January 8th, 2004, 7:50 am

Hi everyone,

I became aware of the plot when I attended the "Dazzled" lecture by Alex Elmsley in the early '70's. His presentation of the "Fate's Datebook" just knocked me over. My problem was that I just couldn't perform it and give it its due.

I then started on my own quest to develop a routine that I was proud of. My "Fortuneteller's Book of Days" was the result. My original props cost me over $300.00 to prepare. I must say that the book (available from L & L, your fav dealer, or me) is quite a bargain at $20.00!

The routine is quite strong. I have not had anyone "tip" to the method. BTW, I do not do the routine as supplied with the book. That routine was designed for someone that has no experience in performing. It is an easy to do method that works, but I don't go to the bother of prestacking the necessary cards.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me, off-board (paulgreen@earthlink.net).

Regards,

Paul Green

tboehnlein

Postby tboehnlein » January 8th, 2004, 9:06 am

In response to David Groves question I know that after performing Chronologue for the past couple of years I have never once had anyone ask to examine the book. The routine appears to the audience very fair. They have truely a free choice of the date, you ask them to examine other dates within the book & they remove the envelope containg their selection from the book. To them I believe they feel that they have pretty well examined & held everything involved. By the way Patrick Kuffs has a very nice handling for Chronologue that allows the spectator to hold the diary prior to selection & through the entire routine.

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2004, 10:03 am

Re: Chronologue, it arose from a diary effect in Cassidy's first book, Pseudo-mentally Yours
BTW Thomas Henry has provided a CD that will produce a diary for Chronologue as well as various templates for gaffed envelopes and such
Find out more at www.midwest-analog.com/templates
from
Ford
I have no financial interest in this CD

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 8th, 2004, 12:42 pm

The Birthday Diary has been a feature of my work since 1994, at least. Most people want to look at the book, though they do so in order to look up their birthday or their friends/significant others. I have had curious types try to look for a pattern, but as I do not use the conventional method, they can look at mine all day and see nothing.

I performed Chronologue from many years previous and while it is a great trick, I found it lacking in impact to more traditional birthday diary approaches, though it would be a great introduction to this kind of work for someone.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 8th, 2004, 2:45 pm

I have Paul Green's version and it is an elegant prop -- a real bargain for $20.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » January 8th, 2004, 4:40 pm

Thanks for the replies so far, you guys are great as usual.

A friend of mine has tipped me a method that uses 2 diaries, and 4 posible choices in each of the diaries.

Is this Chronologue??? Is this the version that belongs to Cassidy?

Mr Green, I will look at your effect in LLpub.

Thanks again
Carlos Hampton

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » January 8th, 2004, 7:22 pm

Hi all,

I have received a number of questions from those that are interested in the FBOD.

Alex Elmsley's Fate's Datebook was my inspiration. It was (and is) Mr. Elmsley's approach to Vernon's Trick That Cannot Be Explained. Mr. Elmsley's routine gives the performer many outs that will lead to the card in the diary.

My approach was a little more direct. You can, of course, use my book for the Elmsley routine.

My contribution (if you want to call it that) is the design of the book and the great follow through from L & L. The price cannot be beat for a fantastic looking elegant prop.

You can see Alex perform his version on the Tahoe Sessions and you can see me perform it on my Classic Force (does not require a Classic) tape.

This is the current way I am doing the trick:

When the spectator gives me the date, I know the card. I have the spectator shuffle and then give me the cards. As I show the well-shuffled pack to the audience, I cull the Force Card to the top of the pack. I am now set to do the cut deeper force. For the first cut, I talk about the past and do a quick cold read. For the second cut, I talk about the future. Finally I state that we have not spoken of the present. Let's use a card that we have seen yet. Spread down to the first face-down card and table it.

Refer to the book, go to the date, read the fortune, show the audience the printed value from the book. Now focus on the tabled card. When it is revealed they will give you a great reaction.

Chronologue is a great variation. I just like the way my book looks!!!!

Regards,

Paul Green

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 8th, 2004, 8:23 pm

First, it would be presumptious for me to offer any critique of Paul's work. He is a powerful performer. However, I would like to share my verbal rationalization for the cut deeper force. Perhaps some of you may find it interesting.

In "The Gypsy woman" I use the cards to talk essentially about the present. After the cut deeper force has been made twice I say, "Let's look into your future. All of these cards (spreading the face up cards) tell me something about the Katie that already is. These cards, the ones which have yet to be revealed (spread face down cards) tell us about the Katie which is yet to become. Let's look into your future, not too far mind you. Just here." I then give them the first face down card.

I think its an aesthetically pleasing moment.

Also, as to the birthday diary, this presentation focuses them more on the mystery of the future, so 1) they are less concerned about verifying the accuracy of the fortune on their date as its not of the present and 2)extends the effect into the future as they wait for the fortune to come true.

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » January 8th, 2004, 10:19 pm

Hi Brad,

I could change my mind! But then again, the Gypsy Woman knew that.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Paul Green

tboehnlein

Postby tboehnlein » January 9th, 2004, 6:07 am

Carlos that would be Chrononlogue.

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2004, 5:33 pm

I was always under the impression that Cassidyt started the Diary effect with his original Chronologue which is NOT the same version as sold by Collector's/Viking. The main premise, the idea behind it is what everyone else seems to miss. Bob wanted to ELIMINATE the cards. The only card produced is the prediction.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Supplying professional Mentalists world-wide

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » January 9th, 2004, 5:34 pm

my two cents ... I just checked my set of books for Chronolog and they are for the year 1990 so I have been doing the effect for quite a while ... it plays well for strolling as well as stand-up and one of the things I like about is that is does not use a deck of cards ... I have also played with but not yet performed Aronson's version ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » January 9th, 2004, 5:41 pm

Paul you just freaked me out ... when I made my post yours wasn't listed ... our points though are similar ... what Cassidy has done is eliminated the deck of cards ...

MINDvention mentalism convention 11/14 - 16
www.lvmi.net
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » January 10th, 2004, 1:55 am

I like the "not use of the cards as well" If you guys don't mind me asking. When you perform this illusion are you using the envelope with 2 predictions or one double facer?

I am trying to find what it will be more clear of the 2 options.

Thanks to all for sharing ;)
Carlos Hampton

tboehnlein

Postby tboehnlein » January 13th, 2004, 11:48 am

I am currently using two envelopes two predictions, been playing with one envelope & four predictions just not for sure how well it will slide pass the spectator since I have them remove the envelope from the diary.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » January 13th, 2004, 3:48 pm

Tom,

maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, one of those things when English is your second language. Anyway, what I mean is having 2 envelopes as well, but you have the option of having a double compartment envelope with the 2 possible outcomes, or an envelope with no compartments and a double facer card. Of course this times 2 will give you the 2 envelopes/4 predictions.
Carlos Hampton

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2004, 4:06 pm

Carlos,
When doing some close-up I still use the double cards/envelope one BUT I now use a very different version that does not use cards at all.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
Supplying professional mentalists world-wide

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2004, 8:05 am

The Diary Trick is an outstanding and wonderful piece of theatre. From my experience, it works best with women. Presentation is everything considering the simplcity of the method.

This has my highest recomenndation.
For those interested, I use the memorised deck for Diary. It allows a more random looking appearance.

One of my top ten classics

Mike Vincent
London

tboehnlein

Postby tboehnlein » January 14th, 2004, 1:23 pm

Carlos, try one envelope with each card edge trimmed for a built in 4 card index to allow for a quick removal.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » January 14th, 2004, 4:05 pm

Michael Vincent said "I use the memorised deck for Diary. It allows a more random looking appearance"

My question is, if we are going to use cards, and we want to give a totally random appearance, why not use an invisible deck?

That way, the diary can be presented with the boxed deck before asking for the date, and everything will look fair without manipulation (for the estimation).

I still think that the Cassidy approach is a thing of beauty.

Mr Alberstat,

can you elaborate e a little more on your new presentation???

Thanks in advance. ;)
Carlos Hampton

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » January 14th, 2004, 4:17 pm

In addition to all of the above mentions, I would also like to direct you to John Luka's presentation from his book LUKA IN NEW TOPS.

Keep thinking!

Regards,

Paul Green

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2004, 10:36 am

Carlos,
I am afraid that I am not at liberty to disclose it at this pointbut suffice it to say, the diary effect does not need to be exclusive to playing cards.

PSIncerely yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
Supplying professional mentalists world-wide

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2004, 6:14 am

Just found this one.

You may also want to check out a Supreme Magic publication 'The Danson Diary Trick' which gives several set-ups for this effect.

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2004, 7:38 am

If reset isn't an issue, an 11-card index in the pocket containing Mr. Green's Fortuneteller's Book of Days is most deadly... :eek: -- this ruse also eliminates the necessity to memorize those cards! :D

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2004, 10:16 am

Originally posted by Paul Alberstat:

I am afraid that I am not at liberty to disclose it at this pointbut suffice it to say, the diary effect does not need to be exclusive to playing cards.

I am totally in agreement. I never liked the calender effect (Elmsley, Green, etc) used inconjunction with playing cards because what does a calender have to do with cards - nothing. Names seem more appropriate; perhaps times, e.g., 10:15am could be an option. I'd love to hear your ideas Paul.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 7th, 2004, 11:55 am

I've got a new version of the diary trick: spectator thinks of a card (no force). You then reveal his card and his sign and show that card is printed next to his sign in the diary.

Everything is automatic. No memorization. Only one book (and it doesn't have thousands of pages). Nothing is written down. You don't use a thumbwriter or anything of that nature.

It's called the Bammo Brain Bamboozler and should be out in a year or so.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 8th, 2004, 8:21 am

Originally posted by Bob Farmer:
Everything is automatic. No memorization. Only one book (and it doesn't have thousands of pages). Nothing is written down. You don't use a thumbwriter or anything of that nature.
Method is simple.

Farmer has fouind 52 different calendars to use. Just ask spekky his birthday and tell him to look it up in the Nepalese (or Shinto, or Urdu, or Mayan) calendar and his card is there!

Just kidding.

Bob's method is, as always, magnificent.

"If it says Bammo on the label, it says brilliant on the inside."

Matt Field

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 8th, 2004, 8:46 pm

I've got a new version of the diary trick: spectator thinks of a card (no force). You then reveal his card and his sign and show that card is printed next to his sign in the diary
Having his card printed next to his sign is a lot less impressive than having his card printed next to his birthdate. The free selection aspect is nice though.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 9th, 2004, 6:54 am

Brad:

In my effect, you not only tell the spectator what card he is THINKING of, but you also tell him his sign -- he never tells you either piece of information.

In other versions of this effect, the number of cards that may be selected is very small and they must tell you their birthdate.

It's always a trade-off, but in a tie, I believe reading someone's mind and knowing their sign - and having their card at that sign -- is a lot more impressive than having someone select a card and tell you their birthdate.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 9th, 2004, 1:43 pm

Brad:

In my effect, you not only tell the spectator what card he is THINKING of, but you also tell him his sign -- he never tells you either piece of information.
Bob, from your initial post I failed to pick up on the fact that the spectator never tells you the card he is thinking of. This sounds most impressive indeed! BAMMO! :)

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”