Rusduck - The Cardiste

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Rusduck - The Cardiste

Postby Guest » January 17th, 2006, 2:26 am

I've seen reference to Rusduck and The Cardiste in numorous magic books I've studied. I've been looking for information about the man and his magazine over the Internet but resources seem to be very limited. I had hoped to find some knowledgeable folks around here to share what they know about the man and the legendary magazine called The Cardiste.

Re: Rusduck - The Cardiste

Postby Guest » January 17th, 2006, 9:51 am

Mickey Hades will be re-releasing the Cardiste sometime in the near future.

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2006, 2:11 am

How many issues will Mickey be releasing? Do you know if he plans on including any history on Rusduck? I've enjoyed The Cardiste. It really gets you thinking on how one can expand the concepts.

As I understand it Rusduck died back in 1959 or so. He produced 11 Issues of The Cardiste. I've heard that others have continued the issues after his death. These issues are 12, 13 & Possibly a 14. I've not been able to find any information on the contents of these later versions.

Please share any Rusduck/Cardiste information with us.

fredm

Postby fredm » January 27th, 2006, 3:33 am

There is a comb bound 1 vol.issue of entire Cardiste published in 1969 by Gene Shelley of Winnipeg,Canada.
From Preface:
Mrs.Duck sent #12 master copy to Milton Kort who made the material available for publication in March 1960 issue of Ibidem.
In the bound issue there is #13 a new section with magic by Cervon,Kort,Dingle many more contributers.

Fred
Fred

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2006, 12:09 pm

Don't know any more about the re-release at this time but I'll talk to Gene Shelley who has been talking to Mickey and see what I can find out. I do know that there will be more tricks included with the re-release.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2006, 12:29 pm

The entire run of the Cardiste is in the public domain with the exception of issue 13, which was added to the reprint by Gene Shelley.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2006, 4:03 am

Originally posted by Fred Mitchell:
There is a comb bound 1 vol.issue of entire Cardiste published in 1969 by Gene Shelley of Winnipeg,Canada.
From Preface:
Mrs.Duck sent #12 master copy to Milton Kort who made the material available for publication in March 1960 issue of Ibidem.
In the bound issue there is #13 a new section with magic by Cervon,Kort,Dingle many more contributers.

Fred
Fred, do you happen to know the issue number of Ibidem - March 1960?

I look forward to hearing more news on Gene's re-release of all the issues, including what appears to be an Issue 14.

I for one would subscribe to a resurrected Cardiste even if it was on a quarterly or website basis.

fredm

Postby fredm » January 28th, 2006, 6:10 am

Ibidem 20 ,May 1960 .In vol 2 of Ibidem reprints.
Fred

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » February 5th, 2006, 9:53 am

I do have a duplicate set of six issues, the numbers 1 to 6.

Reinhard

Postby Guest » February 6th, 2006, 1:33 am

Reinhard,

I've been able to locate both red comb bound editions, although I'm not sure when they were actually produced. The first one contains Issues 1 thru 5 and the second one contains Issues 6 thru 11.

I'm still in the hunt for IBIDEM No. 20 which should contain Issue 12. I have really enjoyed the stacks and methods outlined in these 2 small bound pamplets.

Within the pages I have found some information about Rusduck but would like to find out more.

tcb

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 6th, 2006, 2:53 am

T.C., go to www.hermeticpress.com to order the IBIDEM reprints. Both Volumes contain every issue plus previously unreleased material.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

pduffie

Postby pduffie » February 6th, 2006, 3:21 am

Richard, you said:

The entire run of the Cardiste is in the public domain with the exception of issue 13, which was added to the reprint by Gene Shelley.
If Rusduck died in 1959, how are issues 1-12 in the public domain?

Peter

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 6th, 2006, 12:31 pm

Originally posted by Peter Duffie:
If Rusduck died in 1959, how are issues 1-12 in the public domain?
I don't have the issues myself, but it could be one of (at least) two ways in the United States:

1. Wworks originally published from 1923 through 1977, and which were published without a copyright notice, are currently in the public domain.

2. Works published from 1923 to 1963, and which were published with a copyright notice, but for which the copyright was never renewed with the copyright office, are currently in the public domain. [This exception is how Dover was able to reprint Bobo's Coin Magic, for example. The vast majority of works published during this term had no renewal.]

[I'm no lawyer, so if you get sued because you relied on this, etc. etc., don't come whining to me.]

See: copyright terms

pduffie

Postby pduffie » February 6th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Thanks for that, Bill, and also the link. US copyright law is more complex than I thought.

Best Wishes

Peter

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2006, 2:37 am

Thanks for the info Bill! I'd been wondering if I'd ever see a short version of what the copyright laws are all about.

tcb

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » April 9th, 2006, 5:38 pm

A bound version of The Cardiste, with a Bonus section, is now listed on Mickey Hades' website:

http://www.mickyhades.com/cardiste.htm

http://www.mickyhades.com/

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 10th, 2006, 2:25 am

Also check out www.PeterDuffie.com for an e-book version.

This material is vital for anyone interested in Faro work.

Matt Field

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 10th, 2006, 9:53 am

Matt:

Thanks for the link. The Hofzinser material is a great help.

I presume the prices are US dollars!?

GO

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”