Lucky magic find

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Timothy Hyde

Lucky magic find

Postby Timothy Hyde » September 13th, 2006, 11:48 pm

Well, as most of my Australian colleagues know, I do have a small historical magic collection but one mainly focussing on Aussie performers. So the lure of a junk shop or second hand book shop is very hard to resist on my travels. And I've been quite lucky over the years.

A couple of mint Houdini postcards for a couple of dollars, Levante, Rooklyn and Franquin paper. A previously unknown Alberts Magic Catalogue (early Sydney dealer).

Todays find was in a second hand bookshop in a sleepy seaside town. Nestled in amongst the discarded beachside reading material,the rows and rows of Barbara Cartlands, Ken Folletts, Dan Browns and Lee Childs...was a copy of The Unmasking of Robert-Houdin.

Slightly battered and someones left his beer glass sitting on the cover when he's gone to check his fishing line, but there it is, a 1908 New York edition. You could have knocked me over with a feather flower.

So, assume nothing and be vigilant.

What's your best lucky find?

Timothy Hyde
The Secret Notebooks of Mr Hyde - Vol 1 & 2 - http://www.MagicCoach.com

Re: Lucky magic find

Postby Guest » September 14th, 2006, 1:52 am

Boy, that is lucky!

My VERY LUCKY find was/is this: In 1990, a friend of a friend phoned to say he had found something I might like. He was a builder in Belgium. In the cellar of an old house (sounds too 'Hollywood' to be true) there was a three-legged log-stove propped up by three stacks of old magic books. They had been there since the 1920's. Was I interested? You bet!!They were two sets of the complete 1st editions of Decremps! WHAT A FIND.

Paul Gordon

Re: Lucky magic find

Postby Guest » September 14th, 2006, 5:53 am

I've had TWO extremely lucky finds...

In a local used book shop I found a set of the first five Albo Books, which they'd obtained as part of an estate sale. I bought the set for $125.00.

A few years ago I found a J. Martin Holdout in perfect condition in the used magic bin of a local magic shop. It had been bought as part of an estate sale and no one had bothered to pull it out of the box to see what it was. I bought it for $10.00.

- entity

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”