Nate Leipzig and Music

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Nate Leipzig and Music

Postby magicking » September 21st, 2004, 8:10 pm

I know that is a strange title however I am wondering what time frame Nate Leipzig performed and what other magicians were performing at that time also what popular songs were of the same time? I am putting something together and I need the above information to be correct in what I am doing.
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Nate Leipzig and Music

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 21st, 2004, 8:55 pm

Nate Leipzig died in 1939. I'm not sure of the exact year he started performing (I could probably look it up), but it was likely in the late 1880's-1890's. He was born around the same time as Houdini, so that should give you a feel for what magic was like in that time.

Popular music? I'm not sure of any songs in particular, but Ragtime music was certianly popluar at the beginning of the century.

-Jim

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 22nd, 2004, 7:28 am

I found this site for you, which will give you some of the major events of the early 1900's, along with popular songs of each year.

http://archer2000.tripod.com/1900.html

If you're looking for some particular music, Scott Joplin's stuff would be a good choice. You may want to steer clear of the Maple Leaf Rag or The Entertainer due to their popularity (or not -- that may be what you're looking for), but any of Scott Joplin's music would be good. (I even have a CD of his songs that contains several that he recorded himself, using piano rolls.)

Other magicians that were around: Thurston, Kellar, Downs, Blackstone Sr., Al Baker

-Jim

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » September 22nd, 2004, 6:27 pm

Nate Leipzig's truly wonderful six-part autobiography can be found in M-U-M, Volume 43, beginning with Number 4, September 1953. You can also find it online at: http://www.illusionata.com/mpt/view.php ... cle&id=129

It should give you a sense of the venues in which he played, the men and women who appeared on the same stages, and the environment in which he lived.

Of course, there is also the short biographical profile in The Leipzig Book, Dai Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig by Lewis Ganson and some wonderful anecdotes in the fourth volume of The Vernon Chronicles by Bruce Cervon and Keith Burns.

Hope this helps.

Michael Edwards

By the way, he turned professional in 1902 and continued to perform until his death in 1939.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 23rd, 2004, 6:54 am

Originally posted by Michael Edwards:
By the way, he turned professional in 1902 and continued to perform until his death in 1939.
He was performing professionally, albeit part time at private engagements, long before 1902.

-Jim

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » September 23rd, 2004, 9:06 am

Thanks, Jim, I should have been more precise. While Leipzig performing professionally (ie...took engagements for compensation) even as a youngster, he later wrote that became a full-time professional in 1902. Hope this helps.

Michael

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 23rd, 2004, 10:19 am

I have to admit...I'm curious about this project magicking is working on. Are you still around? Can you provide us with any details?

-Jim

magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby magicking » September 25th, 2004, 4:36 pm

Thank you to everyone, this has been a great help.

Mike
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”