paint with cloths

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

paint with cloths

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2006, 2:59 am

hello,

I am a french professionnal magician (since 25 years

I am looking for artists (and their books, advertissement...) who had presented the fabulous show "painting with cloth" or "cloths paintings" or "rag pictures" to increase my knowlevedge of this part of those allied acts . Willard S. Smith is (or was perhaps because he born in 1898 in Ipswich, Mass. USA) one of them. Can you help me to contact him.

many thanks to help me to find them or to have contact to continue to try to find.

Grard

Re: paint with cloths

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2006, 3:23 am

This is not my field at all, but I did use to have an old book (possibly from the 1920s or 1930s) called "How to make Rag Pictures" or something similar. In trying to find "rag pictures" on Google just now I came across the following:

https://midwestmagic.net/shop/item.asp?itemid=613

Hope this helps, although I suspect you may you have the book already. Bon courage!

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2006, 3:28 am

I'm almost positive I saw Amy Dawes, wife of Eddie Dawes present a Rag Picture act at a British Ring convention about twenty years ago.

Dave Andrews

Postby Dave Andrews » October 6th, 2006, 5:17 am

I remember that too, Quentin. I saw it 'several' times in various places, I believe, and it was definitely Amy Dawes.
As Amy is Eddie's wife, I would have thought that a good deal of information could be obtained from them.

Dave

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2006, 5:51 am

Indeed she does, unfortunatley she is not very well at the moment, but shoot me an e-mail Gerard and I will put you in touch with Eddie.

Rich.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 6th, 2006, 6:17 am

Felix and William Berol performed a rag picture act in the early 1900's. You can see a brief description of their act in Nate Leipzig's autobiography, which was originally printed in six parts from September 1953 through February 1954. It has since been reprinted in Roy Benson by Starlight by Todd Karr and Levent and is also available online at Magic Past-Times. Here's a direct link to it: Nate Leipzig\'s Autobiography . The description of the rag picture act appears in the 4th from last paragraph in the second part, next to the photo of Kellar and Ching Ling Foo.

-Jim

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”