Faucett Ross

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Robert Kane

Faucett Ross

Postby Robert Kane » January 27th, 2002, 10:19 am

I have been reading a bit about Faucett Ross in the Vernon Chronicles and in Ganson's Magic with Faucett Ross.

I also remember reading that Mr. Ross was John Carney's first mentor in magic.

I wonder if there are any videos available showing Mr. Ross performing? He sounds like he was a pretty cool cat and an excellent magician to boot.

:)

Pete Biro

Re: Faucett Ross

Postby Pete Biro » January 27th, 2002, 7:47 pm

I hate to post negative stuff, and am sure Ross was a good man, but the one time I met him at the Magic Castle, he was showing off the salt gimmick and explaining it at the bar, with dozens of laymen watching intently.

Maybe he didn't realize laymen were allowed in the Castle?
Stay tooned.

malbright

Postby malbright » January 30th, 2002, 2:48 pm

Hate to ask negative questions, but if Mr. Biro genuinely hates to post negative stuff, then why did he post his message at all? What purpose does it serve? Frankly, I've seen many magicians tip tricks while layman watched, including the Professor and Jennings. What conclusion is Mr. Biro expecting us to draw? Mr. Biro's comment that perhaps Faucett didn't realize lay people were at the Castle is obviously patronizing, since anyone who walks into the Castle can tell in two seconds it's MOSTLY full of lay people. Actually, I suspect that Mr. Ross was focused on the matter at hand and oblivious to the people around him. Sad that if I guy makes one mistake, that's what people choose to post about. Mr. Biro is a well-respected magician and enthusiast, so for him to disrespect Faucett's memory carries some weight. Personally, until I contribute as much to magic as Mr. Ross, I will forgive him his error. It's either that, or I'll have to think less of ALL the magicians who've every kibbutzed about secrets inside the Castle within earshot of the masses...and that would be just about everyone. I know this wasn't the thrust of the thread, but when people say "it isn't the money," it usually is, and when people say they hate to post negative messages...well, you do the math.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 30th, 2002, 5:05 pm

Hey, it really "bugged" me the way he flaunted the gimmick in front of a lot of spectators. I don't see guys like Carney, Close, Klause, etc. doing the same.

Sorry if my message bothered you... can't win 'em all.... :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2002, 10:51 pm

Michael,
No offense of course, but starting off your message with "Hate to ask negative questions..." and then attacking Pete or others for posting negative messages doesn't add up...even after i "did the math".
Johnny

malbright

Postby malbright » January 31st, 2002, 7:06 am

Hi John-
That phrasing is what is called "irony", or in less polite circles, sarcasm. I did not intend to attack Mr. Biro, just his criticism of someone who, at present, is not in a position to defend himself and who did nothing any different than hundreds of other magicians I've seen through the years--including some of the very best. I certainly respect Mr. Biro's experience, contribution and talent, and that is why, coming from him, the criticism is especially sharp. Hope this clarifies my remark, John. Thanks.

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » January 31st, 2002, 6:34 pm

So now, thanks to Pete, any layman with a computer can log on the forum and discover that there's a gimmick for salt! Does it never end? ;)
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 31st, 2002, 6:48 pm

I'm hoping Ruben is joking ....
This is a site about MAGIC TRICKS and their performance, and we discuss methodology and gimmicks and anything else. Occasionally some layman may stumble onto it. So what? Does that mean we close it down? There are more bad magicians exposing magic on a daily basis through poor performances than we can ever count. The infinitesmal number of laymen who might learn something from this site or discussion board is meager by comparison.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 31st, 2002, 6:57 pm

Who was it that recently said something like, "Knowing the secret doesn't diminish our ability to enjoy a performance."

Hope I can type tomorrow, going in for hand surgery.... maybe I can do a bottom deal better after having my left ring finger shortened... :D :D :D
Stay tooned.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 31st, 2002, 7:20 pm

Pete,

Good luck with the surgery.

That's the price that you pay for doing repeat sets of one-handed faro shuffles whilst watching television.

I hope it doesn't affect your repertoire of hand shadows.

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: John Pezzullo ]

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 1st, 2002, 11:56 am

Ruben:

Does this mean there's a gimmick that will keep the salt from clogging the holes in my salt shaker? I could sure use that.

Also hi. How's it going? We should have lunch sometime.

Richard:

Ruben was joking. Ruben is always joking, except when doing his repeat finger chopper routine. Then he's deadly serious.

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2002, 1:20 pm

Pete:

There is a rumor that I have heard for years - south of the border - that an insurance broker almost lost his finger in a chopper incident . Could that be Mr. Padilla. ;)

That would be serious. :eek:

Bill

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » February 1st, 2002, 3:25 pm

Very funny Pete and Bill. Yes, the rumors are true, there was once a Southern California magician who accidentally screwed up the Hades finger chopper trick with a woman south of the border, not once - but twice! She didn't lose her finger but she might have chipped a bone. Twenty-four hours later he was fired from the restaurant. This poor woman will never, ever again trust a magician. Fortunately, he's able to laugh about it now, because he has a great sense of humor, and his name is Craig Stone. Now let's get back to Faucett Ross...
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2002, 3:34 pm

Ruben:

It is a chilly night here in New Orleans so I am chilling in my quite hotel room this evening as I get ready to run out and do a show. Hope I did not disturb anyone else on my floor when I burst out laughing from your last post. I Hope Craig has recovered from that traumatic experience. :D :D

Bill

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 1st, 2002, 6:23 pm

ok i can type w 1 finger...surgery on hand all ok... more later when pain pill kicks in :eek:
Stay tooned.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » February 2nd, 2002, 7:54 am

Dear Peat,
Hope this latest procedure solves the problem once and for all.

Dear Gang,
Anybody have a copy of Ganson's "Magic With Faucett Ross" they'd be willing to part with?

Cheers,
McF

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » February 2nd, 2002, 8:14 am

So back to my original question: Do any videos exist of Faucett Ross performing? :D

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » February 2nd, 2002, 3:21 pm

Robert,

We did get somewhat diverted from your original query.

I'd say that the best person to answer your question would be John Carney.

You can contact him via his web site:

www.carneymagic.com

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » February 2nd, 2002, 6:54 pm

Richard:

Ruben had a ;) at the end of his post. I believe he was kidding.

Steve H

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » February 2nd, 2002, 7:02 pm

Bill:

I'll contact you privately about the Ross book.

Steve H

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”