Magic and Girls...

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Magic and Girls...

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2003, 12:12 pm

How did you propose to your wife/girlfriend through magic?

Chris Aguilar

Re: Magic and Girls...

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 12th, 2003, 12:20 pm

Gee, If I had done that, she probably wouldn't have said "yes". :D

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2003, 5:28 pm

I proposed through the magic of long distance telephone. We hadn't seen each other in 17 years - since dating in college - I got divorced, called her up, she was divorced, and we had a fabulous relationship on the phone for about 6 weeks. I proposed, she accepted, and several weeks later we got together for the first time since 1980! Best move I EVER made! --Asrah

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2003, 12:09 pm

Well, I took a napkin and showed both sides of it, in my best "hokey stage magician" parody and draped it over my right hand.

As she watched, a lump visibly appeared in the center of the napkin.

I whipped the nakpin away to reveal the ring box, dropped to one knee, opened the box and asked for her hand in marriage.

She said "Yes!"

That was over 7 years ago and we're still together.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » November 13th, 2003, 7:52 pm

A friend of mine had an interesting take on this, I can't recall it he finally did it, or something else, though. The idea was that it would be much more of a surprise if someone else did the magic.

The scene he pictured was walking along with his sig-o after dinner, they happen across a guy doing magic in the park. Like most of us, he would force her to watch what the guy was doing. The magician would be doing something with a rope, ending with tying a knot (get it? "tying the knot"?) in the rope. As the knot tightened, suddenly a ring would appear on the rope.

The magician would turn to her and ask "Is that your ring?" which would be my friend's cue to step in and say "It is, if she'll have it."

I also helped a young man propose on stage at my show one night, using a line something similar to this. You might want to consider the approach, though. You want her to remember the she was the center of your attention, so it's a good time to step out of the spotlight.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » November 13th, 2003, 9:18 pm

Well Sue-Anne and I met at a magic convention.

That's weird enough I guess.

She lived in Sydney, me in Melbourne, about 800kms apart.

We spoke on the phone A LOT for three weeks or so until she finally had the opportunity to come to Melbourne to visit me. There was no proposal, as we both just had assumed, from the moment we met, that we were going to get married.

Finally, 8 months later, when we did get married, I proposed at the start of the Marriage Ceremony by singing "What are you doing the rest of your life" to her.

I know it's no help as an answer to your question... I just love telling that story. :)

TIM ELLIS

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2003, 12:30 am

One night in the Las Vegas "Showgirls of Magic" Show - we had a guy ask if he could propose to his wife~to~be during the show!
(this puzzled me - WHY would a guy propose to his beloved in front of 4 topless Showgirls and a full audience of strangers?!?)

At any rate, the girls brought him up on stage for an audience participation bit (20th Century Shorts) and after the shorts came out - He stood up, took the mic from the showgirl and said "Well, THEY took my shorts, I would like to now ask to take my fiances hand in marriage..."

*I didn't get it either...*
(Funny what a few cocktails will make a guy do!)

She accepted and the show went on...

I guess they got married somewhere in Vegas that weekend!

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2003, 9:35 am

And no doubt divorced a week later.
I have heard about America.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2003, 10:55 am

On one occasion at Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament, outside of Chicago, I helped a guy propose to his intended bride as well.

I was doing a chop cup routine with an engraved R&T Chop Cup. His intended was the person I was working to out of the large crowd at the 10' diameter table in the Hall of Arms (which is NOT off of the Coat Room of Legs or the Kitchenette of Ankles!).

At the conclusion of the routine, I had her tap the cup with the wand and make a wish.

When I lifted the cup, there was a ring box (supplied by the guy, obviously).

I looked at her for a moment and said, "Sorry, dear, I'm already taken. I think this belonged to HIM," pointing to her soon-to-be fiance, "but now,"

He chimed in right on cue, "It belongs to you, if you'll have me!"

She said "YES," and the crowd went wild!

Gotta love working for romantics, even if it WAS a medieval, not Romance period setting!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

luigimar

Postby luigimar » November 14th, 2003, 2:07 pm

I used Magic to get into my wife's heart. First, when we were just friends I took her out to dinner and used d'light (as supplied by Juan Mayoral from Spain) to surprise her. I would pretend to be putting the 'spots of light' into my pockets and in one of those opportunities, I finger palmed a nail enamel and then I produced it. She was speechless!

Later on, when I asked her to be my girlfriend, I made a flower out of balloons, and from the flower I produced a ring.

And I proposed to her on her birthday and I made Kevin James' Floating Rose (as seen on TV performed by David Copperfield). My anchor was a flower vase on a table next to an armchair where she was sitting. Unfortunately I couldn't find any flash paper to burn and make the paper rose change into a real one, so I just burned the napkin and while it was burning, I loaded the ring box (which was in the shape of a rose, I don't know if you have seen those boxes, they look like a rose, the stem is plastic and the petals are the box, you open them like a regular box and that's where you keep the ring) and that's what I showed her. She was again speechless and crying!

And of course she said yes!

I wanted to do some magic at our wedding reception but I just didn't have time to prepare anything and thus no magic there.

luigimar
luigimar

Bob L

Postby Bob L » November 14th, 2003, 3:34 pm

And no doubt divorced a week later.
I have heard about America.
Sometimes it doesn't pay to try out new material in public, Psychic.

:D

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 14th, 2003, 6:48 pm

I proposed to Linda while we were at Lance and Melinda's wedding.

Our engagment lasted longer than their marriage... :p
Stay tooned.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”