Houdini Poster sold - Sydney Australia

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Timothy Hyde

Houdini Poster sold - Sydney Australia

Postby Timothy Hyde » April 11th, 2005, 4:49 pm

It's not often a Houdini poster goes up for auction in Australia. This fairly bruised example was sold a few days ago for $62,000.

The auction house was clearly unprepared for the buzz this and a collection of Chung Ling Soo and Maskelyne & Devant/Cooke posters they put up.

Selling the Soo's in lots of 2 & 3 was a decision that I'm sure they now regret.

Houdini Poster

I'm not sure how long the auction house will leave up the catalogue, but check out the estimates they put. Posters start at lot 266 catalogue

timothy
The Secret Notebooks of Mr Hyde - Vol 1 & 2 - http://www.MagicCoach.com

Re: Houdini Poster sold - Sydney Australia

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2005, 9:19 pm

Just curious...will auction houses reveal what the lots eventually sold for? I am just in awe at the low estimates that were put on the posters. I can see the appraisers now, "It's just some old magic junk. Probably won't even sell!"

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » April 12th, 2005, 2:41 am

Originally posted by Rosie:
Just curious...will auction houses reveal what the lots eventually sold for? I am just in awe at the low estimates that were put on the posters. I can see the appraisers now, "It's just some old magic junk. Probably won't even sell!"
Yes, the auction house did disclose prices`realized and the successful bidders.

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2005, 6:19 am

ummmmmmmm..where?

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”