Notebooks of Harry Stork

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Jim Maloney_dup1

Notebooks of Harry Stork

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 11th, 2006, 12:35 pm

I realize this is a really, super long shot, but it never hurts to ask...

When Harry Stork died in 1907, his notebooks went to J. N. Hilliard. In "Greater Magic", Hilliard mentions that he was planning on writing a book on Stork based on these notebooks. That book, obviously, was never written. Does anyone here have any clue as to what may have happened to these notebooks upon Hilliard's death?

Thanks,
Jim

Gary Brown

Re: Notebooks of Harry Stork

Postby Gary Brown » January 12th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Jim-

In preparing the Harry Stork page for ThrowingCard.com, I came across the same passages in Greater Magic. They certainly are enticing. That said, I can't shed any light on the mystery.

Gary
Gary Brown

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 13th, 2006, 9:31 am

Like I said, Gary, my expectations aren't exactly very high for finding this. Especially considering it's been almost 100 years since Stork's death and about 70 since Hilliard's. Unless a collector was able to get his hands on them, I doubt they even still exist.

-Jim

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 13th, 2006, 11:41 am

It could be that they were part of the material turned over to Carl Jones in the preparation of Greater Magic and just put aside. Maybe the Jones family still has them or they've been donated to a library's special collections. Perhaps Richard K. knowns.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 13th, 2006, 11:50 am

David,
That thought had crossed my mind, and if anyone has any further details (or can tell me who/how to contact in the Jones family), I'd appreciate it. I do know that Princeton has a small collection (approx. fifty items) of historically important magic books, donated to them after Carl Jones died. They also have several scrapbooks relating to magic in their theater collection. There's no indication that they'd have the Stork material, though, or that Jones' stuff was dontated anywhere else.

-Jim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 13th, 2006, 12:27 pm

I can't recall if Jones's magic library is still with the family or if it's gone to the Wayzata Historical Society. I was only allowed to see the stuff related to Greater Magic and there were no Harry Stork notebooks among that material.
I have had in my possession, and seen, a number of books from Hilliard's library scattered here and there: they often have his handwriting in the margins. Don't know where they came from.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 13th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Thanks for the info, Richard. Do you have contact info for the Jones family that you can pass along? If you don't want to post to the forum, you send an e-mail to me at: maloneyman at gmail dot com.

Thanks,
Jim

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”