Jordan's "Self Arrangers"?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Jim Maloney_dup1

Jordan's "Self Arrangers"?

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 9th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Does anyone here have any info on an effect that Jordan put out circa 1917 entitled "Self Arrangers"? (It may have also been called "Mystic Self-Arrangement".) It was apparently a single-sheet manuscript detailing an effect along the lines of Herbert Milton's "Sympathetic Clubs". I'd appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks,
Jim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Jordan's "Self Arrangers"?

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 9th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Not in the Fulves book?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 10th, 2006, 6:22 am

Not as far as I can tell, Richard, unless it appears under a different name there.

-Jim

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 11th, 2006, 7:38 am

So I gather no one here has any info?

-Jim

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2006, 8:23 am

I own perhaps the largest collection of Jordan material. It belonged originally to Stewart James. (Jordan was James' guru, so to speak, and he believed he assembled his complete works.) I have taken a cursory glance at the file and have not discovered anything under that name. (I have also assembled a file of Jordan's advertisements and will see if that leads to anything. It will take me some time to dig, however, as I have a few other projects that I must attend to first.

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2006, 8:40 am

I have reviewed my file of Jordan advertisements in the Sphinx in the teens and twenties and have not come across a trick under either title. Bill Kalush has a large collection of Jordan material. You might want to contact him.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 11th, 2006, 8:40 am

David,
Thanks -- I'm sending you an e-mail with more info on what I'm looking for and why I need it. It's not urgent, so whenever you get to it is fine. I appreciate the help.

-Jim

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 11th, 2006, 9:08 am

Didn't see your last note before I posted my previous message. Just checked out the Conjuring Arts site (I'd forgotten that they had a list of Jordan's effect available there). They have "Mystic Self Arrangement" listed there, no date, but it states that Byron Walker has the original.

-Jim

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2006, 10:39 am

Well, that's great news. I'm still going to take another look through Stewart's files to see if it turns up.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 11th, 2006, 8:47 pm

For the record, Fulves lists Mystic Self Arrangement in the index to his Jordan book, but with a question mark, meaning it was one of the tricks he couldn't track down. Others were so listed.

But what a deal this book was at only $25!

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 12th, 2006, 6:31 am

Thanks, Steve.

I've been trading some e-mails with David as well as Bill Kalush and we've made some progress on locating this, though we haven't been able to turn up the actual instruction sheet yet.

The main problem will more likely be correctly placing this on the timeline, especially if the manuscript does not have a date (and something tells me it won't). All three of us have doubts about the 1917 date, but there doesn't appear to be any advertisements for the effect either in David's extensive collection or in the searches I've done in AskAlexander to help us place it.

-Jim

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”