R. Alan Nelson - Sensational Effects

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

R. Alan Nelson - Sensational Effects

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2006, 7:43 pm

I was going through some old magic stuff and discovered a manuscript that I acquired about 1980, when I worked in a magic shop, but don't otherwise recall anything about.

It appears to be the original typewritten manuscript (with a hand-drawn illustration or two) of "Sensational Effects"by R. Alan Nelson. Copyright 1929 and 1948. (The last page says it was revised and re-edited by the author, Jan 20, 1948)

I'm not familiar with Mr Nelson's history, anyone care to shed some light? (I tried Google, but only found that this book was published in 1975 by Mickey Hades.)

Thanks in advance.

Re: R. Alan Nelson - Sensational Effects

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Is it on onion skin paper? Mimeographed newsprint paper?
At best, it could be a REVISED manuscript, as the first edition, did come out in 1929.
None of the editions I've seen, have any illustrations.
It was one of his books regarding, doing a Q & A act mental act, for maximum effect.
When Hades bought the rights to most of Nelson's publications,after 1970, they were published as Hades Publications, sometimes edited and updated, for a new generation of readers.

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2006, 7:10 am

Thanks for the reply. Right, if anything, it's the 1948 edition. (Unless Nelson was truly psychic and put that revision date on in advance! ha!)

It's on old, yellowed typing paper and it's a first-generation original (not made with carbon paper). You can see the impressions from each letter on the back of the page.

You're right, there are no illustrations in this work. After looking it over closely I see that I have another manuscript mixed in - "Visions of Tomorrow" (1941. Robert A Nelson) The last page has hand-drawn illustration of a billet switch.

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 4:11 pm

Gordon:

If you're not familiar with Nelson, check out this web site:

http://www.mevproshop.com/secret-domain ... index.html

He was my supplier when I started out in mentalism.

Terry

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2006, 8:27 pm

Thanks very much, Terry. I hadn't turned up that site in my searching, and it was exactly what I was hoping to find.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”