Fred Robinson....

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Adrian Kuiper

Fred Robinson....

Postby Adrian Kuiper » April 9th, 2004, 1:58 pm

Many years ago I had the pleasure of seeing Mr Robinson's lecture. The man did some unreal cardwork.

Is there perhaps a video of some of his performances? Lectures?

Thanks...
Adrian

Anthony Brahams

Re: Fred Robinson....

Postby Anthony Brahams » April 11th, 2004, 9:57 am

I do not know of any commercial videos by Fred. However a comprehemsive book on his magic was written some years ago by Peter Duffie. There have been changes of would-be publishers involved (not me, regrettably!) but now the situation is stable and settled and so we should see the book in the not-too-distant future. If the publisher involved reads this maybe he can give us a date, please?
Anthony

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » April 11th, 2004, 12:28 pm

Lacking video, I'd love to have the book.

Thanks...
Adrian

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 11th, 2004, 1:52 pm

Originally posted by Adrian Kuiper:
I'd love to have the book.
I'll second that!

Matt Field

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » April 23rd, 2004, 2:49 am

I had lessons with him - and also wish there was a video of him! Never found one though.

Last I heard was that the book was waiting for illustrations, but there is a definite intent to publish...not aware of a set date though.

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2004, 4:12 am

There is a video available called "Secrets of the Card Cheats." It was put out quite some time ago by Vic Pinto's TAT company in London.

Although uncredited, the hands of the card cheat in question are those of Fred Robinson.

He demonstrates many cheats' moves,false cuts, deals etc. including his unusual and excellent bottom deal.

I'm not sure if it's available through L&L or Richard Hatch, but you'll find it soemwhere I'm sure!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 23rd, 2004, 5:31 am

The book should be out very soon from International in London. Either look at their website, or you can put your name on a list to be told when it is ready.

Take care, Ian

pduffie

Postby pduffie » April 23rd, 2004, 6:52 am

The Fred Robinson book will be published by Martin Breese. The book International is about to release is the Dave Campbell book (excellent).

Re- "Secrets of the Card Cheats" video: Only a part of it used Fred's hands. The other hands that appear (all uncredited so have to guess who is who) are: Jack Avis (once) and Kovari. The video is terrible due to inane video angles and zero direction. Thankfully, you don't see many for sale too often....

Peter

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 23rd, 2004, 7:04 am

Arse. When I was typing the post something in the back of my head was saying 'this sounds wrong...'

Take care, Ian

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » April 23rd, 2004, 2:02 pm

Thanks for the info on the book.

I'll check with Martin Breese....if he has a list, I'll get my name on it.

Thanks...
Adrian

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2004, 4:40 pm

Hi Guys: I glad to see that there is a great deal of interest in the Magic of Fred Robinson. This evening I briefed the third illustrator to take on the difficult task of illustrating the Magic of Fred Robinson. I also sent the text to the typesetter about three hours ago. The book is definitely on the move and I think it will be the most significant book that I have or will ever publish. Peter Duffie has done a fabulous job and the book will be something that most card-workers the world over will want in their collection.
The book started years ago. Peter Duffie completed the text and I just didn't have the capital to afford to publish the book. The copyright was sold to the lads at Opus Magazine and they sat on the project for a number of years because they had numerous othe project to complete. My fortunes changed and I was able to buy the book back again and now it is on the move. It is going to be a wonderful book indeed. I was trying to proofread it this evening but simply got caught up in my enjoyment of the book. About 164 illustrations will be needed and I am am going to estimate that the book will be ready to go to print in about 8 weeks from now. I will spare no expense and intend to make it the finest book that I have or will ever publish. Fred Robinson was a wonderful man and when I met him I didn't realize that he was such a creative and distinguished creator in the world of magic. He was the editor of the wonderful Pabular Magazine and his invisible pass was the most invisible pass of all times. He showed it to me over and over again one evening. There was nothing to see and it was truly invisible. The book is packed with tributes to Fred from some of the greatest workers ever and includes essays on Fred Robinson from such people as the late Dai Vernon, Jerry Sadowitz, Gordon Bruce and so many others. This is going to be a truly wonderful book and I am as excited about it as many other people. My dear friend David Britland was the person that came up with the idea of commissioning Peter Duffie to do the book and that was the greatest suggestion I have ever received. Watch out for the adverts. We are all in for a great treat when the book is ready.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » April 24th, 2004, 7:03 am

Yes, the "Fred Book" has been waiting a long time to see the light of day and I am delighted that Martin has regained the rights and is moving along nicely with the project. I started writing it in 1987/88, less than a couple of years after Fred passed away. However, over the years, new information came to light now and again. So it could be said that the project has been ongoing for 16 years!

During this time, several of those who helped me with information, anecdotes, etc., have, themselves, passed away. This includes:

Peter Warlock, Francis Haxton, Harry Devano, Arthur Day, Peter Kane, and Dai Vernon who wrote the foreword, plus Fred's mother who lived to the age of 103! During this time Fred's wife (Winifred) and one of his brothers also passed away. So, this special tribute to Fred Robinson will also serve as a tribute to the aforementioned people.

Peter

David Regal

Postby David Regal » April 25th, 2004, 5:14 pm

Save a copy for me.

Kano

Postby Kano » June 27th, 2004, 10:40 am

I have an original copy of the "The Magic of Fred Robinson" (Waiting for the 11.27) from 1983, I was wondering if sombody could tell me the price of such an item?

Many thanks!

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2004, 2:41 pm

Tim,

I am interested in the notes if and when you come up with a price.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2004, 10:02 am

Peter and Martin
Fred Robinson wa one of my best friends. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for under taking this project . barrie

Postby Guest » February 19th, 2005, 9:39 am

Any news on the Fred robinson book?

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2005, 7:59 am

Still no news on this?

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » April 7th, 2005, 11:19 pm

Just spoke with Martin...it's nearly ready. Any day now. But, I recommend you reserve it now. Best email Martin (Breese) to ensure you get a copy.

I've seen the drafts at Martin's office. Excellent!
Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 1:03 pm

I am so happy that there is so much interest in the Fred Robinson book. We are not taking advance orders on the book and will just announce it as being ready when it goes to the printers. We might bring out as special limited edition leather-bound collectors version but we have to think about that. The book has been heavily revised and countless more illustrations have been produced and the book is now back at the typesetters for what I hope will be the last major revision. Hereafter we will get new proofs that need to be checked and corrected and then it will be off to the printers. I don't want to reserve copies but if interested purchasers would like to email me to let me know their interest it will give me an idea of how many copies we need to print. Thank you so much for your interest in this wonderful book. If this is the last book I ever publisher then I will have done my job (however it won't be my last book but for sure it will be hard to better).

Regards to all Fred Robinson fans,

Martin

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 1:04 pm

And my email address is Martin@abracadabra.co.uk - I forgot to include it.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2005, 7:12 am

Hello Martin , Can we have an update on the Freds book?
Regards

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » May 1st, 2005, 7:34 am

Who on this board has seen this man handle a deck of cards. I would love to hear what their experience was.

Sean

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 4th, 2005, 10:49 am

I saw Fred regularly. What do you want to know? He could deal seconds bottoms and centres from the same grip. Invisibly. He invented at least three versions of the pass, which he performed perfectly. Invisibly. However, not only was he a card man, his coin work was unique and staggering. Above all though was his mastery of misdirection. He knew exactly where his audience would be looking at all times.
This is not based on seeing hin perform in carefully picked surroundings - this was real work on a pub.

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » June 4th, 2005, 2:28 pm

Hi Dom, thanks for the reply. What you told me was great. Must of been great to see him work. Could you possibly tell a story of some of the magic he did for some people. Cheers and thank you.

Sean Macfarlane

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 10th, 2005, 11:48 am

When i knew Fred he was a fairly old man.
The first time I saw him he was doing some colour changes in a pub; it was the closest thing to real magic I had seen.
I later learned this was one of his few regular tricks. He was particularly noted for his handling of the Ambitious Card, based on impeccable sleight of hand,and perfect misdirection. Another trick he performed regularly was a repeated coin vanish and reproduction. It is published in the Best of British Close Up. I've never seen anyone else do it, but in his hands it weas a thing of beauty. I've spent the last ten years trying to learn it!

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » June 10th, 2005, 1:01 pm

I knew Fred well and saw him work many, many times. His handling would impress magicians but, more important, would slay lay people in the Malborough Bar. Coin in tie vanish, beer tankard vanish, Rising Card, Ambitious etc.etc. Anxiously waiting Martin Breese's forthcoming publication of Peter Duffie's book.

BTW, Dom, are you Dominic Twose?
Anthony

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 11th, 2005, 12:51 am

Yes I am!

Kevin Fox

Postby Kevin Fox » June 12th, 2005, 9:57 am

I used to spend time with Fred @ the IBM British Ring Conventions In the company of Peter Kane & every thing said about his card handling is true
He always had a twinkle in his eye especialy just before he fooled you, we used to spend the week in the same hotel's @ these conventions, I am fotunate to have a copy of his lecture notes.
I will buy the book no question. Kevin Fox
Kevin Fox

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2005, 4:25 am

I had the pleasure of meeting Fred Robinson a couple of times, mostly at European Conventions (first time in Liege 1961, IIRC)and also at Ken Brookes Magic Place in the 1970s.

Also I loved his outstandingly clean dealing from the center of a deck and that kind, his absolutely invisible riffle-pass, what I loved the most was his vanishing coin in the tie, he really baffled me way back in 1961 with it and he, as well as I enjoyed it very much..

I just hope the description of that item in his upcoming book does his expert handling justice..

As he was wearing glasses, I recall, he produced the coin from one of his glasses whilst wearing them, just banging the hand up onto the glass to produced the coin..that goes over 40 years back..and I still remember him doing that great piece of DECEPTIVE magic...
Those where the days...

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » June 13th, 2005, 8:34 am

Was he a professional or did he have another job?

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » June 13th, 2005, 8:48 am

Fred worked for Britsh Rail.
Anthony

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 13th, 2005, 9:16 am

Did he not work as a crossing guard in a little building, with little to do but work with cards between waiting for trains to go by?

He made me a "custom" gimmick for a very clever rising card effect when he heard I was interested in rising card methods.

Met him many times at Ken's and he was a great card man and fine person.
Stay tooned.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » June 13th, 2005, 9:54 am

An extact from the biography section of the forthcoming book that answers your question Pete:

"After being posted to his first signal box at Ingestre in 1931, he moved to Stafford Common, Harby and Stathern. At Stathern he was in charge of a signal box that had only a few trains passing on the line, so he had all day to practise his card magic. By this time he had acquired and digested The Expert at the Card Table by S.W. Erdnase and was developing his own techniques, particularly in the field of false dealing."

Postby Guest » June 15th, 2005, 8:36 am

Peter, what about *kicking* Martin a tiny bit (to still be nice to him) :D a certain place, or help him to get his finger out :p to get the book out..
I really think there are many ppl awaiting it..if not any, I do :)

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » June 15th, 2005, 10:35 am

I have known Martin for many years, as well as the history of the book, and I do not think he is dragging his heels. All the problems have not stopped him from aiming for a product worthy of Fred and this will be what will arrive, I am sure. The wait has been so long a few months more cannot hurt. I write this even though I am as anxious as anyone :)
Anthony

pduffie

Postby pduffie » June 15th, 2005, 10:41 am

It's not Martin who's holding it up. In fact, it's not really being held up at all. It's being carefully proof-read at the moment. Just normal prepublishing procedure :)

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2005, 1:32 am

Originally posted by Peter Duffie:
It's not Martin who's holding it up. In fact, it's not really being held up at all. It's being carefully proof-read at the moment. Just normal prepublishing procedure :)
OK...OK..no offence to good ol' Martin, it has just been delayed for such a loooooonooog time ;)

Proofreading is needed, then the printing, then the binding, whatever, let's hope no further problems occure..
After all, X-mas is upcoming.. :p

Postby Guest » June 17th, 2005, 2:23 pm

Werner Seitz .. wow you have been buying magic from me for at least 25 years! How are you doing other than getting worried about the Fred book?

So here's a question for those who know. How many copies of the book should I print?

500, 1000, 3000 or 5000?

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » June 17th, 2005, 2:26 pm

Speaking selfishly, I would be very happy if you printed just one......and I got it!!! <grin>

Adrian

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”