Charlie Miller Question

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Charlie Miller Question

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2007, 3:26 pm

I have read several accounts where Charlie Miller didn't like to be shown card tricks, or was against them. It seems a bit peculiar given his devotion to Erdnase, Hofzinser and others.

Why was "Mad Dog" Miller so against card tricks? Was it because he felt they were overdone, and there were other areas of magic to explore? Had he seen card tricks ad nauseum? Or was there some other reason?

Pete Biro

Re: Charlie Miller Question

Postby Pete Biro » August 29th, 2007, 5:12 pm

I don't know, but didn't know any magicians lived in Naperville, IL. My stepson and his wife live their (both just graduated from NIU) and he's now going for a degree there.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2007, 6:09 pm

I corresponded with Charlie Miller once late in his life. In my youthful exuberance I wrote him a letter (which he printed in Genii) asking him why he hated card tricks and I could't believe he would if he had seen Jim Ryan. ( Jim was one of my mentors) He printed the letter in his column and respoonded. I can't find the issue right now (but I will and show you it Bill). He was very kind in his response considering the tone in my letter. Paraphrasing he said he disliked BAD card tricks (magic) and had that persona to try and curtail the eager card men from showing him tricks. By the way he also mentioned he loved seeing Jim perform...as did many of us.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 29th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Charlie disliked what he called "intrigue" tricks, which includes much of what magician's perform in order to intrigue other magicians. So, quite a few tricks by Dingle and Jennings would fall into that category. Too many parts, too many phases, too many kicker endings. Charlie liked it classical and simple.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 29th, 2007, 7:03 pm

He's not alone. My favorite card work is much like what the guys behind the bars do... BAM BAM no trying to figure out the effect.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2007, 2:19 am

Pete - can you clarify that statement? Do you mean there is no effect? Or do you mean the performer does a gazillion effects and doesn't stop to allow anyone to say anything?

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”