Old Time Radio: Blackstone

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Old Time Radio: Blackstone

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2006, 6:49 pm

I just found a site called OTR.Network. It's an online archive of old time radio shows.
They have somthing like 40 episodes of "Blackstone the Magic Detective."

HERE is the link.

Gord

Re: Old Time Radio: Blackstone

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Well done, Mr. Gardiner.
A friend and I stumbled upon these a few months ago, and while the sound quality of several (of the very oldest shows?) is pretty crackly, most episodes are excellent. There is nothing to even compare them with today...

That Blackstone was one suave s.o.b. :cool:

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2006, 5:00 am

There are actually at least 52 Blackstone shows available. Quite often they are sold on eBay on one CD for under $5 including postage. Well worth getting as well as other old radio shows that are available. They sure bring back memories.....

Dave

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2006, 7:28 am

I believe that an actor's voice was used to portray Blackstone on these, rather than Blackstone's actual voice. Can someone confirm this? Were these episodes written by Walter Gibson?

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2006, 7:56 am

Richard,

According to this account, the Blackstone series was written by Walt Gibson and Nancy Webb...Edwin Jerome was the actor who played Blackstone....

http://testbox.cob.rit.edu/index.php?na ... rint&sid=4

opie

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2006, 10:02 am

BLAST! I assumed it was Blackstone himself!

Postby Guest » August 15th, 2006, 3:56 pm

On the same site there's lots of recordings of Orson Welles in his prime, too - whom I like the best: Mercury Theater, Harry Lime, etc.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”