the collected almanac (best of)

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

the collected almanac (best of)

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2007, 10:01 am

i recently bought collected almanac, there's a lot of good/great stuff in it. i was wondering what routines other magicians like from this. it's easy to miss something in such a big book.

3 items i use all the time are 1. forgery, by jay shankey (in the shankey issue) 2. up the ladder aces, by micheal skinner (in the skinner issue). 3. green warp by bob mcallister ( a little gem). and not forgeting the magic cards by bro john.

any personal favourites you would like to pass on?

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: the collected almanac (best of)

Postby NCMarsh » April 27th, 2007, 10:18 am

Stencel's Aces

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2007, 10:28 am

I really like Dingle's Unexpected Visitor and Daryl's Diamond Bar -- great assembly. I'm sure there are others, but those two are what leap to mind at the moment. Oh, and it's Jay Sankey. I agree some of his stuff is tops as well.

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2007, 10:32 am

Lou Gallo's "Only the Lonely."

It's the only "story" trick I do since, as a general rule, I detest them. But this one works.

Women appreciate it even more than men, which surprised me...

Postby Guest » April 28th, 2007, 2:10 am

thanks chaps, im not big on story effects either though brother johns twins, is a must. i have the gallo trick in front of me as i type, im going to learn it today. i have a leg injury just now, and what better way to spend the day than to learn a new trick.

thanks, brian.

Postby Guest » April 28th, 2007, 5:45 am

I just put Triple E.G. Spell from the Almanac, on Volume three of the 3 set New York Coin Magic Seminar Copper Silver DVD.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » April 28th, 2007, 11:46 am

When I first started working through this book I used Richard's excellent "The Thirty-Six Picks" (pp. lxxii - lxxiii) as a starting point. RK assembles his favorite 36 items of the 175 in the collection.

The first I chose was Kalush's 'Rubber Ringer' p. 120; elegant in its simplicity.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Postby Guest » April 28th, 2007, 2:31 pm

There's a re-working of (Sankey's?) "BandAid" by (Racherbaumer?) in one of the Bull sections that's worth tracking down.

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2007, 3:44 am

well i spent yesterday working on "only the lonely" think i've got it with the patter and moves.

steve, i was looking at that item yesterday. stencel aces looks a good one to. might have a go at that today.

cheers.

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2007, 10:10 am

Any good P&T items in the book Brian? :D

Cheers

Andrew

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2007, 12:25 pm

Here are a few more for which I can vouch:

"The Gallo Pitch", "Iced, "Only the Lonely" (who didn't love this?), "Rubber Ringer", "The Signed Card", "Fugitive Coins", "Cocktail Time", "Loaded", "Coin, Glass, and Napkin", "Wishing Shells", "Elastically Yours"

Postby Guest » April 30th, 2007, 2:11 am

andrew,

i hope penn and teller dont even have this book, they will only expose it.

castawaydave,

the signed card is a beauty, didnt marlo claim it at one point?

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”