Interesting Observation from Pallbearer's Review

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Interesting Observation from Pallbearer's Review

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2002, 12:56 pm

As I was flipping through Pallbearer's Review Vols. 9-10, I came across something very interesting on pg. 786 under the section of Babel.

Fulves is describing an up and coming magician from New York that was getting quite a bit of publicity, especially from Dai Vernon. Although Fulves acknowledged this young coin worker was clever and had fresh ideas, he also stated that "his slender talent and less-than-scholarly knowledge of his own specialty is far from adequate in supporting the claims of Dai Vernon and others that he is a genius".

Fulves warns the readers that what Dai Vernon fails to tell this young coin worker is that next year there will be someone else in his place and the the following year there will be yet another new name.

Finally he suggests that the columnists and Magic's elder statesman should ease off the exaggerated claims of greatness that "even Albert Einstein would have trouble satisfying."

The young coin worker that Fulves was describing is David Roth.

The only other time that someone was that far off was when Krusty the clown bet against the Harlem Globetrotters (he figured the Generals were due).

Hmmmmmm.......

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Interesting Observation from Pallbearer's Review

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 21st, 2002, 1:08 pm

Fulves never did like David Roth, for whatever reason.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 21st, 2002, 2:14 pm

Originally posted by Mark Ennis:
The only other time that someone was that far off was when Krusty the clown bet against the Harlem Globetrotters (he figured the Generals were due).
One other: We had a local TV film critic who predicted Raiders of the Lost Ark would bomb at the box office.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 22nd, 2002, 12:21 am

Someone at IBM is famously credited with predicting a maximum worldwide market for five computers, total.

James
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby James » December 22nd, 2002, 10:12 am

What would someone from the International Brotherhood of Magicians know about computers anyway :-)

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » December 29th, 2002, 11:27 am

Dai Vernon liked David Roth, that's good enough for me. I think Roth is cool. And he's pretty good with those coins. :)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 29th, 2002, 11:37 am

One of my greatest pleasures in writing so many books was actually having the opportunity to have all the material performed for me by the artists. In Roth's case, watching him do all of this really difficult and deceptive material, much of which he hadn't shown to other magicians yet, was a genuine thrill.
He really is the Hofzinser of coins.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » December 29th, 2002, 2:09 pm

Interesting thread...a couple of added observations:

Decca didn't sign the Beatles ("We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.")

and "Wizard of Oz" wasn't a box office success when it was released.

Go figure.

Steve H

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 29th, 2002, 2:19 pm

Originally posted by Steve Hook:
Decca didn't sign the Beatles ("We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.")
Interstingly, many today would ask "What's Decca?" just as many new students to magic who know the name David Roth (and Dai Vernon) are wondering who Karl Fulves is...

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”