Harry Lorayne

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Chris Bailey

Harry Lorayne

Postby Chris Bailey » January 3rd, 2002, 7:21 pm

Hey gang! Happy New Year! I just got Apocalypse Vol 3 and while I love the material in it I can't help but go straight to the "Editorial" section of each issue. It's like a car crash I can't look away from. Is it just me or are there others who cringe every time Harry talks about his vacations with his friends Mel Brookes, Anne Bancroft and Carl Reiner? Even the foreward to this volume begins with "My closest friend, Mel Brooks..." He seems to really enjoy complaining about not getting credit for routines that were in Apocalypse first and it seems just about every routine ever published he invented. (I know...I'm exagerating. I DO blush) Or how about his "thousands" of TV appearances. His books were good and I love the material in his periodical but MAN...
(Let the flaming begin) :eek:

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Harry Lorayne

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 3rd, 2002, 7:50 pm

No flaming necessary: Harry has roasted his own butt over the years. Yes, I do believe everyone is sick of hearing about his friends Mel Brooks, Anne Bancroft, etc., but he really doesn't seem to care.
He is, in fact, close friends with them. Most people who write stuff like that are full of crap, but he isn't. One day he started telling me about this silent 8mm film that he and Renee made with Brooks, Bancroft, etc., and that this was the inspiration for Brooks' film "Silent Movie." Next thing I knew (for this was in the 1970s, long before home video recorders) he pulled out a projector and put the thing on. And sure enough, there was Harry and Renee acting out these funny little skits with Brooks and Bancroft.
I was impressed.
But, it all gets a little old after a while. We tried to emphasize the positive in our Genii profile.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andy Hurst

Re: Harry Lorayne

Postby Andy Hurst » January 4th, 2002, 7:25 pm

Originally posted by Chris Bailey:
He seems to really enjoy complaining about not getting credit for routines that were in Apocalypse first

POT....KETTLE.... HARRY!

Return to “Buzz”