Would he please just go away?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dave Egleston

Would he please just go away?

Postby Dave Egleston » April 22nd, 2005, 5:16 pm

I just got this from eBay:

Dear DAVID B EGLESTON (hotshotsn8@aol.com),

The following listing:

6526394904 -THE PAUL FOX MIRACLE GIMMICK by Jeff Busby

was removed by eBay because a member of our Verified Right Owner (VeRO) Program notified eBay that the listing potentially infringes its copyright, trademark or other rights. We strongly urge you not to complete this transaction.

You can get more information on the VeRO Program at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/p ... ro-ov.html

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this issue.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay

Cute

Dave

Pete Biro

Re: Would he please just go away?

Postby Pete Biro » April 22nd, 2005, 6:07 pm

I'm getting the paperwork together to send Ebay regarding the rights owned by myself and Joe Porper, granted by the Fox Estate.

Busby has got to be put down. :whack:
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 22nd, 2005, 6:28 pm

It also happened to George Daily today.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » April 22nd, 2005, 7:09 pm

I should think that Busby would be required to show documentation, dated prior to the sale of the item mentioned, stating that it cannot be resold, before such a claim would be upheld by those scum at ebay. Reselling items previously sold on the open market should not be affected by the VERO program.

I have old issues of Busbys newslettes from the 80's and maybe early 90's showing the Paul Fox Gimmick for sale I believe. If anyone wants I can dig them up and photocopy them and shoot them out to you for use in this battle with the pest.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 22nd, 2005, 10:32 pm

This is more than rediculous.

Think about this. I have a used Chevrolet I want to sell. Some guy claims to own the name Chevrolet, and convinces ebay that no one can sell a used Chevrolet.

I really don't get it.

But, we are going to send ebay our documentation from the Paul Fox Estate ASAP.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2005, 6:30 am

These people are having better luck against vero members. Some interesting experiences and adivce at this link --->
tabberone fights back

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » April 23rd, 2005, 9:54 am

If the seller is a member here - I'll still buy it and send the reciept to Busby to show he lost.... again

Dave

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 23rd, 2005, 1:00 pm

The seller was George Daily and I'm guessing he'd be happy to sell it to you and save the ebay listing fees to boot!

Tabman

Postby Tabman » April 23rd, 2005, 3:14 pm

That Jeff is a hoot!!! He obviously doesn't have much to do these days and has enough time on his hands to search this stuff out regularly. I feel sorry for him. Once brilliant, but now a joke. Too bad!!!

-=tabman

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 23rd, 2005, 7:03 pm

Shane -- Do a search for "Busby" and read to your hearts content!

GO

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 23rd, 2005, 10:08 pm

Heart's content? No... no way is anyone content with that fool.
Stay tooned.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » April 24th, 2005, 12:32 am

I wrote to Mr. Daily, he has apparently change his email address.

I still would like to publicly buy this item just to irritate Busby.

Dave

Tabman

Postby Tabman » April 24th, 2005, 1:44 pm

Jeff's dozed off again. Theres a set of Paul Fox Cups on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WD1V

-=tabman

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » April 24th, 2005, 3:30 pm

He has quit suing over Paul Fox Cups. He got stung really bad the last time that happened. Now he is suing over the Miracle Gimmick. He has a copyright on his version of the Miracle Gimmick.

The original gimmick has sold a couple of times on eBay without Jeff doing anything about it.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Tabman

Postby Tabman » April 24th, 2005, 5:39 pm

So the keyword is now Busby and not Paul Fox?

-=tab

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » April 24th, 2005, 6:18 pm

Copyright or not he still offered the gimmick for sale and so it's resellable. The copyright on the gimmick only protects against reproduction of it, not resale. Unless there's some law I'm not aware of which makes it illegal to resell, say, a copyrighted book?

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2005, 6:09 am

Don't waste your time sending the information to eBay. They don't care. Read my VeRO Commandments.

File a counternotice, eBay will forward it to the VeRO member, he'll likely let it expire. It's important to get the black mark removed from your record.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 25th, 2005, 3:30 pm

For a more direct route, call ebay's lawyer -- he has dealt with Busby before and knows the problems.

Michael Richter 1-408-376-7544 Fax 1-408-376-7514

John Bodine

Postby John Bodine » April 25th, 2005, 6:17 pm

Pete, send me a private message, I'll find out who else you can contact and see what strings I can pull.

john bodine

Greg McNeil

Postby Greg McNeil » April 26th, 2005, 11:29 am

I'm glad you've joined in on this tabberone. The information on your web site is very thorough. I know that many people on this forum use eBay a lot. Even the people who haven't encountered this sort of problem should go read over your ten commandments page, just in case a situation like this jumps up and surprises them someday. Your suggestions and the descriptions of your experiences should prove to be quite helpful. Thanks!

Greg

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 26th, 2005, 11:43 am

The emotional energy vented in such fruitless efforts only serves the cause of the problem.

If you want a problem to go away... sometimes you have to outgrow it.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 26th, 2005, 11:59 am

But Jonathan we ENJOY torturing Busby!

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » April 26th, 2005, 1:00 pm

Well I don't enjoy interacting with Busby in any way, either directly or by proxy. Years ago I was a customer of his and I bought some nice things from him (as well as some creatively advertised junk), but he no longer seems to want to be a civil person.

Busby's alleged continued harassment of people just trying to resell their own posessions, perhaps purchased from him in the past, is immoral if not illegal. There's nothing amusing about the guy at all, and the sooner Ebay stops acting as Busbys proxy in these sick games, the better.

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2005, 6:21 am

Hello All

To say that this fellow (Busbee) Is a Piece of work is an Understatement to say the very Least.
At one point in time he attempted to have the ' Michael Lee Millennium Cups' Banned fron a sale on Ebay because the Ad mentioned that they were a touch larger than the no longer available PF ox Chick Cups..... Which was a simple FACT !!!

Any how to make a Very long story short I threatened to sue Ebay Unless they had there lawyers Investigate this Busbeee, I also sent ebay's Lawyers a Package created along w/ the help of my pal's Jim Riser & Pete Biro , Detailing Busbee's BS Antics in the Past

We explained that Being a Supposed Vero member Does not entitle him to any sort of right to dictate who can sell something that they have put there own Thought, sweat, and Capitol into Creating and attempting to block free trade, As this is why we have Free trade laws in America....... The Bottom Line is WE WON !!!

Busbeee was found not to have ther rights to anything Paul Fox related & Or Created for that matter, and had no such case that would hold up in Court.

As my pal Jim Riser put it "Busbee Owns the rights to Nothing' and in my book any one that would pull the Garbage that this "Conman" has pulled Over the Years Is Simply that ......Nothing ! NOW Would you Just Go away....P L E A S E .

Michael Lee

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » April 27th, 2005, 7:50 am

I found a card I received from Busby in the early '90's when I ordered my set of machined stainless PF cups from him. It's labeled "An Important Announcement Concerning Paul Fox Super Magical Effects Manufactured by Danny Dew". I will not quote the contents in its entirely (4 paragraphs), out of respect for Mr. Busbys jealously guarded copyright on the words on this card, but in light of recent events I find the wording of the card fascinating:

"...all [PF] effects ....will now be sold by.. Jeff Busby"

"[Danny Dew] feels that this line should be continued."

"Jeff Busby has taken on the responsibility of selling these effects for Danny Dew."

Now, being reather familiar with Busbys wordsmithing in his, shall we say, creative descriptions of various tricks he's sold in the past, I find it fascinating that while this document indicates he will be selling PF properties, it never ever claims that he bought those rights :) . I find it hard to believe that this is unintentional, again, given Busbys careful word choice in other things he's written. Could this be one of the more rare cases of truth in advertising? :)

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2005, 6:45 am

Yesterday, I received word that a person selling one of MY blindfolds (not even an older one marketed by Busby, but a new one with the NEW book marketed only by osterlindmysteries) was shut down. I have contacted Michael Richter about the matter and am waiting a reply.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results."

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2005, 1:39 pm

As is the case with too many people who BUY rather than create ideas -- their defense of exclusivity and reach of protection - right or wrong --is usually mean spirited and definitely profit oriented. Whilst there is nothing wrong with profit orientation -- the nit picking defenses that Mr. Busby has advanced have come across as mean spirited. I also think E bay has been run by a bunch of whimps who are afraid to really define the laws of resale vis-a-vis trademark and intellectual property-wise.

If the tools available to Busby through E Bay had been available to Robert Harbin, would he have used them? I would hope so -- but I do not think his idea would have been mean spirited.

Having said that -- I just traded my PAUL FOX CANDY DISH (Original) and it is for sale through Ron Allessi.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » May 28th, 2005, 5:33 pm

I recently bought a pair of Paul Fox's underpants on e-bay and Busby didn't lift a finger. Then I found out Fox wore boxers. DAMN YOU BOB FARMER!!!
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2005, 1:45 pm

Originally posted by David Acer:
I recently bought a pair of Paul Fox's underpants on e-bay and Busby didn't lift a finger. Then I found out Fox wore boxers. DAMN YOU BOB FARMER!!!
David,

Does that have anything to do with the "Miracle Gimmick"?

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2005, 3:55 pm

David, you crack me up.
Gibby

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2005, 6:51 am

I think I finally broke the code! eBay is the only life line Busby has left...and sad to say I am very serious.

Return to “Buzz”