Juan Tamariz memorized deck book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Juan Tamariz memorized deck book

Postby Guest » October 29th, 2001, 3:10 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the release of the English version of Tamariz's memorized deck book? I think it was first released in Spanish last year.

I also heard a rumor about some of Ascanio's work being translated into English as well. Anyone else hear anything? From what I have read and heard, he was like the "Dai Vernon of Spain." He supposedly wrote a good bit on theory, misdirection, practice and rehearsal. It is a shame that when most American magicians hear his name, they simply think of the "Ascanio spread."

Jamie

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Juan Tamariz memorized deck book

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 29th, 2001, 4:39 pm

The Juan Tamariz material on the memorized deck will be published, hopefully in 2002, by Hermetic Press.
Hermetic Press also may publish some Ascanio magic in English. Ascanio has several books out in Spanish. Ascanio was one of the best cardmen I've ever seen. Staggeringly good.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 29th, 2001, 10:11 pm

I would love to see some of Ascanio's work published in English. From what I understand, very little has been published so far - and that's practically impossible to find. Like Jamie mentioned, all I really know about Ascanio is the Ascanio Spread, yet from what I hear, there was much much MUCH more to him than that.

I also have to say that I can't wait for the publication of Tamariz's memorized deck book. I've already learned his stack and a few effects from the videos he's done, and it's seriously whetted my appetite for more.

-Jim

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2001, 6:38 am

I had the opportunity to view a couple of Ascanio's videos in Spanish. Even though I couldn't understand a word, his card handling was amazing.
Jim, I have also learned the stack and I'm working on a couple of his tricks from his videos. I got see some TV recordings of him in Spain. He did some unbelievable stuff which I could only conclude that he used the memorized deck. But I never caught the deck switch. I am a big fan of Tamariz. I jump at anything of his I can get my hands on. In fact, I even bought his pamphlet on coin magic from the late 60's, "Monedas, monedas, y monedas," but its in Spanish so its not much good to me. Maybe I just need to learn Spanish.

Jamie

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 30th, 2001, 2:33 pm

While we're talking about Tamariz, does anyone know why Five Points, The Magic Way, and Sonata have not been reprinted in English? It's hard to believe these books wouldn't be big sellers and as English-language copies already exist, it's just a matter of reprinting.

Anybody know?

Return to “Buzz”