Copperfield Collapses

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Copperfield Collapses

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2002, 7:53 pm

At approximately 5:00 PM Mountain Time today David Copperfield collapsed backstage at the Jubilee Auditorium in Edmonton, Canada, from what was announced as exhaustion.
He was about to perform a trick near the end of the first half with two women from the audience. He was explaining what they were to do when he suddenly said, "I'm not feeling well, I have to sit down." He then went backstage and never returned.
There was a great deal of commotion on stage; assistants dealing with the volunteers from the audience, people running from one side of the stage to the other. A video of David's Fire Tornado finally came on, and then intermission was announced.
After intermission, another video was played of David's straitjacket escape, and then the announcement that David had collapsed from exhaustion and was rushed to the hospital.
All tickets from that show and the following 8:00 PM performance will be refunded in full.
By the way, this is not a rumour, as I was in the audience when it happened.
Let's hope he's okay and can resume the tour.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Copperfield Collapses

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 8th, 2002, 10:38 pm

He might have the flu or a stomach bug. Those sorts of things have caused performers to collapse before.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2002, 9:15 am

The collapse was confirmed in a news release I received by e-mail earlier today. No other news.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2002, 10:33 am

The article about it on page two of The Calgary Herald (we are two hours south of Deadmonton) reads:
Exhausted magician hospitalized
COPPERFIELD COLLAPSES

Steve Makris and Allan Chambers, Journal Staff Writers -The Edmonton Journal

Monday, December 09, 2002

Internationally renowned magician David Copperfield was taken by ambulance to University Hospital on Sunday after he collapsed from exhaustion midway through a packed performance at Jubilee Auditorium.

He was released late Sunday after undergoing tests.

Copperfield was on stage with two audience volunteers and crew assistants, halfway into the 90-minute non-stop performance when he said he wasn't feeling well, and walked off.

After 45 minutes of giant screen video replays of Copperfield's past famous illusions and a 10-minute intermission, a member of the stage crew announced the performance was cancelled.

Amid audience shouts of "how is he?" and "do we get a refund?" he said the famous illusionist had been taken to hospital.

Crew members who refused to be identified said Copperfield slumped over a chair backstage but sat upright as he was being wheeled on a stretcher to a waiting ambulance.

"He is always working hard, he rehearses between shows, even today," one crew member said.

Copperfield showed no early warning signs of ill-health during the sold-out 4:30 p.m. show, often walking the aisles to take volunteers on stage to help with his illusions.

This was Copperfield's second show on Sunday, the sixth of a seven-show, three-day run with one more scheduled performance for 8 p.m. Sunday. That show was also cancelled.

Producers of Copperfield's show blamed exhaustion and a hectic touring schedule that includes 500 dates a year.

"It's a pretty demanding tour physically," said Chris Kenner, the show's executive producer. "And he was up until 4:30 last night rehearsing a new trick.

"He's just exhausted."

Kenner said tickets were being refunded for both Sunday shows. Staff at the Jubilee Auditorium said about 2,500 tickets had been sold for each show at prices ranging from $55 to $75.

Theatre staff fanned out and delivered news of the cancellation of the 8 p.m. show to ticket-holders as they arrived.

"It's very disappointing," said Sandy Helliker, who had tickets for herself and her children, Nicholas and Mallory.

"We've watched him on TV before. My kids were really looking forward to it."

James Goddard, 16, arrived for the evening show with his friend, Tim Arch, who had just flown in from Melbourne, Australia, for a visit. "We thought it would be neat, but I guess we don't get to see him," Goddard said. "He's disappeared himself," Arch said.

Tour manager Chris Danner said it was unusual for Copperfield to cancel a show. "He goes on with laryngitis and everything else if he has to."

Assuming doctors give the OK, there are two shows today in Saskatoon, followed by two in Regina and a windup show in Vancouver -- before the crew heads to Las Vegas for shows during Christmas week.

Kenner, the executive producer, said Copperfield sounded "very tired" before he was taken to hospital. Kenner said the tour was essentially in the dark Sunday night while Copperfield waited for results of blood tests.

Jubilee facilities manager Katherine Huising told ticket holders Copperfield is eager to return to Edmonton, but won't be back for at least a year. Ticket holders were told that tickets bought by phone or on the Internet would be automatically refunded. People who bought tickets from outlets should return the tickets to those outlets.

smakris@thejournal.southam.ca

achambers@thejournal.southam.ca

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2002, 1:55 pm

I pulled the reports from the Canadian television and Edmonton Journal. It does sound like he was just exhausted and I guess he'll continue with his Canadian tour before returning to Vegas for Christmas. I found a review of a show he did in the states right before going to Edmonton where they described him as mumbling and tired. I've got the links on www.insidemagic.com. I sure hope he can get the rest necessary to return but perhaps not at the pace he was keeping.

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2002, 2:23 pm

The television news at noon today stated that Copperfield was being kept there for more tests and observation so it looks at this time that he may not make Saskatoon for his next performance. I am sure he will be alright (he is at the University Hospital in our Provincial Capital where he is getting the best care available) but it is a good example of how driving oneself too hard can be detrimental to your health. He's not 20 years old anymore and might do well to cut back his schedule slightly but that is just one mans opinion.

Perhaps insead of speculation we should all just wish him well and for a speedy recovery over whatever ails him. Magic is better with having a David Copperfield and well hope he gets better very soon.

PSIncerely yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/AbstageCraft

Return to “Buzz”