Definitive list of “Easter Eggs” on magic DVDs

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Definitive list of “Easter Eggs” on magic DVDs

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 7:06 am

Max Maven recently pointed out that the Tommy Wonder DVDs have hidden interview footage.

Now Ive watched those DVDs more than any other in my collection and I am happy and frustrated by this discovery.

Its quite obvious why I am happy but I find it quite frustrating that I paid good money for DVDs that I watched a bunch of times over the last 3 or 4 years only to find out that there was more to be enjoyed.

I suggest that we put our collective minds together and list all of the Easter Eggs (or as I call it footage and tricks that I paid for that you dont want me to see).

I will begin by quoting Max Maven:

Originally posted by Max Maven:
It may be worth mentioning that on the "Visions of Wonder" DVDs there are "Easter Eggs" -- each DVD has a fifteen- to twenty-minute interview, in which Tommy talks about magic outside of its technical aspects.

To access these, on each disc, go to the "Other L&L Products" section and page forward until you get to the page advertising "videoMind." Move the cursor over the title, and when it turns from white to magenta, click.

Re: Definitive list of “Easter Eggs” on magic DVDs

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 7:15 am

Originally posted by pierredan:
...I suggest that we put our collective minds together and list all of the Easter Eggs (or as I call it footage and tricks that I paid for that you dont want me to see)...
It gets trite clicking all over the place to get to a clip. Isn't it simpler to rip them and extract out the clips from the files?

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 9:59 am

Do you mean that many dvd have secret sections,or that it is possible to check if they are?Or that they should be released as extras,or bonuses or what?Pls explain for the not technycally expert like myself....thanks

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 10:25 am

I remember that someone told me that there was an "Easter Egg" in Fred Kaps dvd "Seeing is believing..." but I don't know where it is.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 12:23 pm

There is one on my "In The Hands Wild Card" DVD. It's the "Bonus 6 Card Handling" of which the title screen image is on the back on the DVD case. To access it go to the Main Menu, tab down to the DVDROM button hit the left arrow and my hands will light up (turn color) hit enter and the clip will play.

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » June 27th, 2006, 1:52 pm

There's an Easter Egg on this website that contains some incredible interviews with Vernon, some rare footage of Al Baker, and home movies of Houdini.

But of course, you all new that already.

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 2:07 pm

For us still with diapers(regarding the forum)where are they?

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 2:20 pm

What is the point of these Easter eggs? If the producers of these dvds want us to see the footage, make it available to all purchasers of said product. If not don't make it available.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Originally posted by Fred Zimmerman:
There's an Easter Egg on this website that contains some incredible interviews with Vernon, some rare footage of Al Baker, and home movies of Houdini...
That's great, where specifically are these?

Dave Andrews

Postby Dave Andrews » June 27th, 2006, 5:04 pm

If there is one on the Kaps DVD, I'd love to know how to find it - this thread already made me dig it out (didn't take much 'digging', I must admit!) and troll all over the place with the little arrow!

Best of,

Dave

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » June 27th, 2006, 6:10 pm

I normally do not respond to comments from people who seem to think that those who produce magic books or DVDs or other products are trying to get away with something.

But not today.

Today, I will respond to the comment made on this board regarding "footage and tricks that I paid for that you dont want me to see," and the query, "What is the point of these Easter eggs?"

First of all, the existence of "Easter Eggs" is very old. The term goes back to the early days of computer gaming, but the concept precedes such media, as there are "Easter Eggs" to be found in literature, painting, etc.

The reason such hidden material is called an "Easter Egg" is because it is a pleasing surprise, just like the traditional hiding of decorated eggs when Easter is celebrated in North America.

So, let's be clear: Regarding the "Easter Eggs" on the Tommy Wonder DVDs, or anywhere else, no, you did not pay for it. It is a bonus; a gift.

Extra time and effort was taken to provide more than you paid for.

The concept was simple: The owner of Tommy's DVDs got terrific value for that purchase. And, in many (perhaps most) cases, watched them over and over. To later discover that there is extra footage can and should be received as something good -- a delayed perk.

Not providing information up front about the hidden material and how to find it is the only way to enable that experience. The knowledge eventually spreads.

If you read the fine print on the back covers of the cases for the Wonder DVDs, you'll see that it states that there are "Easter Eggs" included -- enough of a clue to warrant asking around.

Many people found out about the Wonder "Easter Eggs" by word of mouth. It also showed up on at least one Internet board, plus (at least at one time) it was posted, albeit subtly, on the L&L Publishing website.

And, of course, yesterday I provided the information on this board. For that, I did not expect to be thanked -- but I did not expect to receive insinuations that suggest that this bonus material was somehow a bad thing.

If nothing else, Tommy deserves more respect than that.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Max, you are absolutely right -- especially today, of all days.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Mr. Maven,

I wish to clarify that in no way did I mean to disrespect anyone, least of all Mr. Wonder.

The very reason I started a new thread was to discuss Easter Eggs I never knew existed. It is for that specific reason that I did not post my comment in the same thread paying tribute to Mr. Wonder.

Looking back on my post, I should not have quoted you to start off this thread since my intention has obviously been misinterpreted by some.

Now, lets get back to Easter Eggs that may be hidden on other DVDs.

My comment about Easter Eggs only vocalizes my frustration, shared by others Im sure, about secret footage only available to those in the know. This was a general comment about Easter Eggs.

I do not find it fair that 2 people who purchase the same DVD derive different value from it. Just because I do not know the right people does not mean that I should not share in the same potential knowledge hidden in a product I paid for. You may disagree and I respect that, but that does not change my level of frustration regarding Easter Eggs. How many of my DVDs have great hidden footage? I dont know, but you probably do.

Regardless, in light of Jonathan Townsends post, this discussion may be moot.

Peace

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 7:03 pm

..., this discussion may be moot.
Once upon a time magicdom was the repisitory of technical data. Today, as a group we seem to have fallen a bit behind the times.

What will it take to get back to the leading edge in this stuff.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 7:13 pm

The idea behind "Easter Eggs" is discovery. If you feel that it is somehow not fair that one of your friends has discovered an "Easter Egg," but you haven't discovered any, then is the complaint with your friend, or your lack of initiative?

Or is it the fault of a secret cabal that is saying "Don't let pierredan know about the 'Easter Eggs.' He shouldn't get the extra features."

There are "Easter Eggs" in all sorts of software products. You can find them in some of the opening screens of certain pieces of Microsoft software.

Here's a hint. When you are running a DVD on your computer, and you get to a screen that is static, slowly run the cursor over the screen. If the cursor reacts at a certain spot, you may have found an Easter Egg.

And you may find one that even Max doesn't know about.

Or not.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
The idea behind "Easter Eggs" is discovery. ...
I was gonna post a link to a tutorial webpage on ripping and finding content linked via DVD menus.

Seems kinda unfair though, spoils the illusions mentioned above.

The decision really should be willful. Those who wish to master their media will.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 8:26 pm

Open Windows Media Player 9 or 10, load a DVD and browse the tree.

It took me all of about three minutes to find all the "hidden" goodies on the BazarDeMagica DVD that was included with Genii some months back.

That said, a comprehensive list of eggs on magic DVDs would be a great thread for Genii. There are lots of locations for that information on commercial movie DVDs and Computer games.

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2006, 7:36 am

Mr. Maven,

I understand you and Mr Wonder were close and I can appreciate that those are emotional times for you. Sorry for your loss.

That being said, this thread was started by Pierredan to start a thread listing the various easter eggs in magic videos after finding out that he is missing out on value contained on DVDs. Nothing more nothing less. IMHO, this is actually a good suggestion since I haven't seen any such thread anywhere.

However...

I find it disconcerting that you finish your post about Easter eggs by saying that Mr. Wonder deserves more respect than that. IMHO, such a comment is completely unwarranted and unrelated to the discussion of Easter Eggs on magic DVDs. Let's not confuse issues.

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2006, 8:57 am

...Now Ive watched those DVDs more than any other in my collection and I am happy and frustrated by this discovery...
Computer and media technology is developed by folks who feel a need to show off "clever". Add to that the sense of "clever" that we in magicdom can sometimes offer and you get this situation.

Ordinarily, interested parties put these things in place so just after release the product gets additional buzz in discussions. In magic, those discussions can be fragmented and the market is not so large as to have sufficient buzz to inform the customers of the goodies and how to get to them.

Perhaps in product reviews posted online such goodies can be discussed and listed ... say six weeks from product ship date? How is that sort of solution?

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2006, 11:22 am

Its quite obvious why I am happy but I find it quite frustrating that I paid good money for DVDs that I watched a bunch of times over the last 3 or 4 years only to find out that there was more to be enjoyed.
Exactly! You've said it yourself, "More to be enjoyed". That's the entire point of producers going through the extra effort of implementing this value added feature. It shows that the producers WANT you to derive enjoyment not only now but in the future as well. I feel it forces the owner of the content to focus on the material and extract full value from it.

By publicizing a "list" of details of the Easter Eggs, it defeats the intent and spirit of Easter Eggs. They're like secrets within secrets. As magicians, aren't we the keeper of secrets?

Mr. Maven's comments are spot on.

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Some people enjoy a bit of a puzzle and mystery.

Sometimes, (And I am speaking from experience with the Zombie Re-Animated DVD's), hiding stuff is for the amusement of the hider. Sometimes you do this stuff just for yourself. Usually it's things that would fit nowhere else so it was just easier and funnier to put it for the industrious few to find.

Sure you can cheat and just do the media player shortcut or open the folder and play the files... but then you very well might be a person of little imagination or wonder.

To each their own.

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Originally posted by audioslave:
... As magicians, aren't we the keeper of secrets?

Mr. Maven's comments are spot on.
ummm... the answer is WERE.

Unless folks are embedding outtakes via stegnography or adding links for fun content online, looks like we are a good a few years behind the curve here. And that's not such a healthy secret.

Back in JERobertHoudin's day magic WAS where you could find the state of the art. Today it's starting to look a generation or two out of touch. But at least Hofzineser's goodies (from a hundred and fifty years ago) are about to be described in print (within our lifetimes if we are lucky).

Get real.

Till we get up to date, the fun is gonna be looking in on this sort of thing and wondering if there is a tech savvy youngster around when you need one.

I happen to agree with Max Maven about the stuff being IN ADDITION to the works paid for, IE a GIFT from the artist and producers to the purchaser. And for all of those gifts I say "thanks".

James Kernen

Postby James Kernen » June 28th, 2006, 9:11 pm

Easter eggs are not an entitlement to the purchaser. Jonathan must work in the computer or intellectual property field since he is spot on....... Easter eggs have historically come from the programmers or developers...especially in Video game industry..... In the past, some nefarious programmers or developers have used backdoors and easter eggs as a way of marking their developments or creating insurance policies in case their employer fires them for whatever reason....... They have been around so long that producers/developers have been using them to satisfy a market segment of techies who expect these hidden surprises, and a secondary benefit is the buzz it creates by those techies who brag they have found them...... This has become a standard in the industry (of at least video games) where hidden codes and eggs are now expected... As it has been said, our magic DVDs are just behind the curve....Easter eggs are an addiction once you get over the hump of the surprise....Isn't it sort of like our magic tricks to a lay person...don't they feel duped if not put in the proper context... We just need to realize and recognize the easter egg phenomena and put it into the proper context...I agree a thread to these easter eggs for magic dvds is long overdue.....just look at the gaming and dvd websites devoted to these things... ..

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 3:42 am

My comment about Easter Eggs only vocalizes my frustration, shared by others Im sure, about secret footage only available to those in the know. This was a general comment about Easter Eggs.
But, as a magician, you should be already used to the fact that there are many secrets available only to "Those in the know". It's the nature of our art.

Why should magic DVDs be any different?

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 4:42 am

Folks, it's the twenty first century. A time when more people can do more with data than ever before. IMHO it's all the more important to be gracious about one's "cleverness".

Why is it that other industries that put out DVDs have BBS's where easter eggs are discussed and sometimes listed yet we, the leaders, the avant guard of knowlege leave our membership isolated and snubbed about such things?

Originally posted by *somebody*:
...But, as a magician, you should be already used to the fact that there are many secrets available only to "Those in the know". It's the nature of our art.

Why should magic DVDs be any different?
Clever huh? Are we all "in the know" enough to understand those words? How about just that first word, "but" ?

I spent a few weeks on the caf helping folks explore that weight of that word, and even posted a riddle about it.

But we know better. But clever is so important to some folks.

But most in magic are so far behind the actual curve that the "newbies" will simply dismiss the snub as a "diss" and move on to use tools as they see fit.

But that is most likely not as we see fit.

But we were clever enough to know that.

And that is why I took the time to write this post, so we can remember where and when and how we granted all a license to be "clever" and "in the know" on their own, without bothering to feel the dis of further such snubs.

But perhaps that's what we want.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 6:15 am

But this thread is not titled : "What do people think about Easter Eggs on magic DVDs?"

Neither is it titled :"Here's my philosophy about Easter Eggs and the word but in more than 100 words"

Neither is it titled :"Let's not disrespect Tommy Wonder by talking about Easter Eggs!"

The thread is titled "Definitive list of Easter Eggs on magic DVDs" and is asking for a definitive list of Easter Eggs on magic DVDs. Nothing more nothing less...

If you're against such a thread, contact the moderator and have him decide whether this is appropriate for this forum. Plus, if you don't like the nature of the thread don't read it.

So... What other Easter Eggs on magic DVDs are you aware of?

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 6:44 am

Originally posted by Jean-Luc Dupont:
...What other Easter Eggs on magic DVDs are you aware of?
We're gonna need an archivist and repository of some kind for this stuff.

DVD, content, access method

anybody up for making/hosting the table so we can send in items?

Terry

Postby Terry » June 29th, 2006, 7:04 am

Good grief people, all you have to do is play them backwards to find the hidden messages... ;)

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 7:08 am

Now we're in business.

Unless you have a better idea, everyone could just post their items over here.

As far as table goes, let's keep it simple. Your suggestion seems fine to me. More formally, we could use the following format:

DVD Title:
Egg Description:
Method of Access:

Example based on PierreDan's original post where he quotes Mr. Maven:

DVD Title : Visions of Wonder DVDs
Egg Description : fifteen- to twenty-minute interview, in which Tommy talks about magic outside of its technical aspects.
Method of Access : On each disc, go to the "Other L&L Products" section and page forward until you get to the page advertising "videoMind." Move the cursor over the title, and when it turns from white to magenta, click.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 7:30 am

I can understand the argument that the Easter Eggs are a gift, a bonus - they're over and above the contents of the DVD that one has paid for.

And I can understand the argument that locating the Easter Eggs is part of the fun.

The idea behind "Easter Eggs" is discovery. If you feel that it is somehow not fair that one of your friends has discovered an "Easter Egg," but you haven't discovered any, then is the complaint with your friend, or your lack of initiative?
I think that my complaint (though "complaint" is probably not the word that I'd employ here) would be that the Easter Eggs were gifts only for the more computer literate of the purchasers. Despite having been a professional programmer for over 30 years, I'm not very PC-literate. And, were it not for Bill's later comment, I'd have no idea how to find an Easter Egg on a DVD. And I'd never heard of such items as Easter Eggs on DVDs prior to this thread.

Here's a question for you all. Someone buys a DVD and plays it in their DVD player. How do they know that it has Easter Eggs, let alone how do they find them?

Here's a hint. When you are running a DVD on your computer, and you get to a screen that is static, slowly run the cursor over the screen. If the cursor reacts at a certain spot, you may have found an Easter Egg.
..... and now I know how to find out whether a DVD has an Easter Egg. If I play it via my PC, that is. But what if I'm playing it via my DVD player?

Dave

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 7:55 am

Originally posted by Dave Le Fevre:
...Here's a question for you all. Someone buys a DVD and plays it in their DVD player. How do they know that it has Easter Eggs, let alone how do they find them?...
Good question.

Perhaps a parallel can be drawn to something less technological.

Let's say you hire X to perform an hour of magic at your party. They do the hour and you are happy.

Then you find out from someone that X knows and does some other stuff and always has it on hand to perform.

Now, next time you have X at your party you can ask them to perform some of that other stuff.

It's about being "in the know". Whether one starts this by online discussions the way the gamers and movie folks have it, or by deconstructing the item cross indexing the way techies do it is really a social matter. We are truly on the cusp of something interesting as regards home-brewed media, something that could be wonderful where movie mash-ups are offered and considered fair use, or not so wonderful where DRMA is attempted and the kids simply break it and treat all media as open for fair use.

My suggestion, discuss these "easter eggs" more often and openly here. Why? Cause the 'kids' have already decided that any media they can get is open source and fodder for whatever they see fit. And there are lots of 'kids' in magicdom which don't like feeling snubbed, dissed or "not in the know".

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 12:08 pm

I have massive respect for Max. And, for me, the Wonder DVDs are so brilliant, rather than inspire me, they make me want to crawl away into a hole and never perform magic again, his dedication was so incredible.
I also suspect that Max has long since left this building.
But - I have to say, I fundamentally disagree with Max's analysis.
A free gift? I dont think so. These DVDs were (rightly) planned to make money.I'd love to see the financial spreadsheet that identified this 20 minutes as being excluded from the cost analysis.

But, more to the point - if you are going to have this type of thing, why not arrange it like, say, the Harry Potter DVDs - set a number of questions; only if you know the answers do you get to the next stage?
Maybe I'm an old fart, maybe this harks back to the days when magic secrets really were magic secrets; but the idea that you could only progress to the next level once you had assimilated the learning from the previous level has enormous appeal to me - and is a clear practical option with DVDs.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 2:00 pm

maybe this harks back to the days when magic secrets really were magic secrets; but the idea that you could only progress to the next level once you had assimilated the learning from the previous level has enormous appeal to me - and is a clear practical option with DVDs.
Hmm. Interesting proposal. Initially, I would concur with the intent. But, the problem reverts back to square one. In todays digital age, information is prevalent. One can 'Google' anything and procure an instantaneous answer. So to 'advance to the next level' may, in fact, be just a Google query away. This is analogous to popping the dvd into your PC to zero in on the easter eggs.

Two different things, but similar. If one wants to take the lazy route, it's available. Alternatively, the self-challenge is available with the initial structure.

As Mr. Maven mentioned,
"If you read the fine print on the back covers of the cases for the Wonder DVDs, you'll see that it states that there are "Easter Eggs" included -- enough of a clue to warrant asking around."
Thats all the info I would like to know. But since information is prevalent anyways, why not create the damn list for those who like to be spoon-fed.

-my two rupees-

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Originally posted by Max Maven:
[QB]
]And, of course, yesterday I provided the information on this board. For that, I did not expect to be thanked -- but I did not expect to receive insinuations that suggest that this bonus material was somehow a bad thing./QB]
Oh, let's be honesst. The real reason why Mr. Maven posted it is to say, "I know something you don't." Its a matter of character.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » June 29th, 2006, 4:39 pm

Originally posted by hoo monkey:
Oh, let's be honesst.
Mr. Hoo Monkey,
I would be very grateful if you edited your post above, and I would prefer to avoid explaining why.

Tom Stone

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » June 29th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Monkey,

L & L shouted the existence of the Wonder Easter Egg from the rooftops. Every ad that I saw prominently mentioned that instructions for accessing the Easter Eggs were on the L & L site. The Easter Eggs were, clearly, a gift; and the practice of making their existence well known was a smart way of bringing more people to the L & L website in the hopes of increasing direct sales at retail price, building brand identity, and increasing awareness of other offerings. There is nothing remotely nefarious about this; it is a case of mutual benefit where value is added for the customer in a way that also enhances business.

As for Max's motives, the particular interviews in question give those of us who did not -- and will not -- have the oppurtunity to spend time with Tommy the chance to get a sense for him as a person. It is a casual conversation that shows the human being under the performer: what he cares about, the way he sees the world..etc. The interviews, combined with the overall tone of the videos, let you feel as if you have just spent time around Tommy -- and it really is a marvelous experience.

For those of us who never will have the oppurtunity to spend time with this very extraordinary human being, the footage becomes a valuable and unique link to him.

Max was simply offering that link to those who might be interested in it. Had I not been aware of the footage, I would have been very grateful (and I hope that others have may have the chance to spend a little more time with Tommy because of it).

Nathan.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 4:46 pm

How to access the easter eggs for the Wonder series, the Kaps video and the special insert in Genii were all mentioned in Genii and/or Magic (usually in the review section). You didn't need to be "in the know", just an observant reader.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » June 29th, 2006, 4:56 pm

Originally posted by Dom:
A free gift? I dont think so.
Then you think wrong.

In a video production, you always shoot more material than what is needed. In this case, as an experiment between sets, Max and Tommy decided to shoot an unscripted conversation about magic - just to see what would happen.

Now, imagine that it had been included as a featured part of the DVD. The reviewers would have torn the DVD's to pieces. Lowering the rating for the whole series. And in some ways it might be fair... I mean, two guys just chatting about "nothing" for 20 minutes on an instructional DVD?

The DVD's as a whole profited from excluding these conversations - especially when seen from the producers view. But still.. there was space left on the discs... and some of the conversations were quite interesting...

In short - had it not been done as easter eggs, these conversations would not have made it onto the discs at all.

So, yes - it was in fact a free gift.

Tom Stone

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Originally posted by Nathan Coe Marsh:
L & L shouted the existence of the Wonder Easter Egg from the rooftops.
Oh, please. There was no shouting from the rootftops, Mr. Mash. And I doubt Mr. Mavenstein's motives at every turn.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 8:37 pm

Originally posted by Tom Stone:
Originally posted by hoo monkey:
[b] Oh, let's be honesst.
Mr. Hoo Monkey,
I would be very grateful if you edited your post above, and I would prefer to avoid explaining why.

Tom Stone [/b]
If you jumped on every spellling error on this forum, we would never have apost from any foreign magicians.

Return to “Buzz”