John Bannon???

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

John Bannon???

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2005, 4:17 pm

Any information about his upcoming book or information on him at all??

Danny Archer

Re: John Bannon???

Postby Danny Archer » April 6th, 2005, 10:32 am

Yep,

I talked with John over the weekend and his new book will be ready for his upcoming lecture appearance at the LVMI convention ... the book is all card material and fans of John's work (and I include myself in that bunch) are counting the days) ...

LVMI
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Postby Guest » April 6th, 2005, 4:20 pm

Wow...I am hooked now! The LMVI convention is in June right? Crazy! I wish I could go buy a book there. After a two year search I finally got a copy of Smoke and Mirrors and I am truly enjoying it. I love John's theories on magic and his performing style (well out of reading two of his books: Impossibilia and S and M) . Would there be any way to contact him to purchase the book once the convention takes place or would the best way to obtain it be waiting until the book is released in stores?? And thanks for the information by the way!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 6th, 2005, 5:14 pm

NO offense meant... but do we need MORE CARD TRICKS?
Stay tooned.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » April 6th, 2005, 5:23 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Yes

And..........because it's going to be tricks from John Bannon, they won't be typical card tricks.

Dave

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » April 6th, 2005, 5:58 pm

John will be lecturing-vacationing in Spain in September. :D
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 7th, 2005, 7:15 am

Based on the two tricks he's given us from the new book already ("Trait Secrets" and "Last Man Standing"), I'd say "Most certainly yes!"

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2005, 12:04 pm

Just found out the book "Dear Mr. Mystery" will be coming out in the middle of June.

I will be taking pre-orders soon!

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2005, 3:29 pm

Based on the two tricks he's given us from the new book already ("Trait Secrets" ...
David Solomon's version of "Trait Secrets" gets my vote for one of the best card tricks of 2k4 (I assume this will be in the new Bannon book?)

Any/All Conjure Nation members that may have glossed over "Dave's game" should correct that mistake immediately.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 7th, 2005, 11:27 pm

Originally posted by TheMagicApple:
Just found out the book "Dear Mr. Mystery"....
I believe it's Dear Mr. Fantasy unless John has changed the title.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 8th, 2005, 3:02 am

If by "we" you mean you and the rest of us, then it's a two-part question.

(1) You don't need any more card tricks, as we have been told many times.

(2) Many of the rest of us do, especially if they bear the authorship of John Bannon.

Matt Field

Cardzilla

Postby Cardzilla » April 8th, 2005, 7:41 am

Thanks to all of you expressing an interest in Dear Mr. Fantasy .

The book is at the printers as we speak, and the release date is June 12, 2005 (to coincide with the start of this year's LVMI).

For those interested in obtaining a copy from me directly, I will be putting up a web site with PayPal soon. I'll post the URL here.

IMO, of course we need more card tricks. (To Pete: it's worse than you think. Dear Mr. Fantasy contains, among other things, Ace Assemblies (classic-style), a Triumph variation, some mathematical card tricks and locations, and a self-working poker deal.)

Once again, I appreciate the interest and support.

Best regards.

John
Tell all the truth--
But tell it slant--
Success in circuit lies.

Emily Dickinson

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 8:19 am

Really? Then I suppose we really don't need anymore paddle tricks, coin effects, thread work concepts, gaffs, okito boxes, theories, etc, etc, etc.... I suppose if you string out that comment to its limit then do we really need anymore magicians?
I'm sure (read hope) that your comment was sarcasm. What I'd like to believe you meant to say is ... do "I" (read YOU) really need anymore card tricks. Then I would most certainly defend your comment with all my might. As for JB's newest efforts...I'm buying the book so that I may continue to enjoy his magic....even if I end up doing them just for my own entertainment.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 8th, 2005, 9:45 am

I for one am very much looking forward to a new John Bannon book, because the previous ones were excellent. But I think that maybe what Pete B. meant to ask was: is learning new card tricks, even excellent ones, the best way to improve as magicians? Is that what we need most?

In that regard I agree with Pete. However it is unfortunate that his point comes in the context of a discussion of a new John Bannon book.

Because really, the point at which there were more than enough great card tricks -- i.e. the point at which the vast majority of magicians would be best served by working on other aspects of their craft -- was passed many years ago. You could have said "do we really need more card tricks" thirty years ago, or fifty (where's Mark Lewis when you need him :-), and the answer would have been no. But would you rather no new books of card magic had been published in the last fifty years?

Can't wait to see the new book. I never knew John was a Traffic fan.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 8th, 2005, 10:24 am

To clarify... ;)

We really don't need anymore NEW tricks (of any kind) ... we need to really work harder on the presentations and choices we already have made.

Bannon will, I am sure, provide us with topnotch material... and I hope he sells as many as he can print.

But for ME... I just want to get better at what I already can do.

Just my opinion... :p
Stay tooned.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » April 8th, 2005, 10:34 am

Originally posted by John Bannon:
To Pete: it's worse than you think. Dear Mr. Fantasy contains, among other things, Ace Assemblies (classic-style), a Triumph variation, some mathematical card tricks and locations, and a self-working poker deal.)
I agree with Pete's sentiment. The world has far too many card tricks already. However, given how bad most mathamatical card tricks, ace assemblies and poker deals are, I welcome any additions what make these plots worth performing.

As for Triumph, I've previously expressed my love for the plot and the opinion that it should be thoughtfully explored for the wealth of presentational possibilities it holds. Having seen some of JB's work on the plot ("Play it Straight", for example) I have to add that ANYTHING he has to say about the effect interests me greatly.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » April 8th, 2005, 10:42 am

A more valid point I don't think has ever been made, Pete. And I'm sure you'll agree that goal is part of the reason the Bannon book(s) are so valuable. They provide thematic inspiration. Something which is lacking in so many books filled with card tricks.

Once you've mastered the workings of a satisfactory method, the easiest (only?) way to improve it is to better the presentation.

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » April 8th, 2005, 11:36 am

Two Bannon card effects from his first(?) book "Mirage" (1987), Maximum Revolution and Mirage Assembly, I use to this day. Cosmo Solano turned me on to Bannon's stuff when Cosmo worked at Magic World on Topanga Blvd in the Valley. I've been a devotee ever since. (The "implied assembly", from Mirage is an awesome concept, by the way...)

Bring 'em on John!

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 11:46 am

To clarify... ;)

We really don't need anymore NEW tricks (of any kind) ... we need to really work harder on the presentations and choices we already have made.

Bannon will, I am sure, provide us with topnotch material... and I hope he sells as many as he can print.

Agreed...so we all get better at what we already know and perform everything we know flawlessly forever and ever.......ad nauseum.
Fresh, enhanced, varied and revisited effects will help SOMEONE achieve the same level. Not everyone likes everyones else material including their own. I agree with you Pete, for you...and to a significant degree I admit you can even speak for ME (as you've clarified your comment) But come on....New stuff is always cool, again, even if it's just to read to ourselves and enjoy the creations of others or find that little something that will make OUR stuff a little better...IMHO we are one big brotherhood and the more we know of each other the more we are liberated to learn about ourselves. God I love this art!

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 12:43 pm

To clarify... ;)

Totally agree. Except for stuff put out by Porper and Biro. Right, Pete?

:p

Cohiba

Postby Cohiba » April 8th, 2005, 3:07 pm

I believe that it's a great thing that another book of card tricks is coming out by one of magic's great thinkers. Why would you ever want to stop progress in any field? How is the above comment any different from stating "Do we really need another automobile?" Every model year we see new makes and models. This brings new innovations and forces automakers to get better in order to stay in the market. Saying that we all have cars, with plenty of different types to choose from not only would make life much more boring, but slow or halt progress towards the next major means of transportation.
A card trick example that will most likely get me in trouble is the original Twisting the Aces. In it's day, it was a killer trick, and a new concept in card tricks. I used to perform it. However, now I believe there are stronger versions out there. Many of the versions are no good. But a few are amazing! Who knows what the next new concept is that would have been missed if we quit inventing card tricks?
Personally, I think magicians need to focus on making material your own, as opposed to doing so much copying. But please, keep the (good) card tricks coming!!

Bob L

Postby Bob L » April 8th, 2005, 10:50 pm

Bannon's previous efforts have shown him to be an incisive and creative thinker. Every area of study can ALWAYS use more original thought, including new ideas on classic concepts.

All of us already have plenty to work on. But that's no reason IMO to scorn new work.

Heck, Pete, it could be argued that we already have enough photographs, so let's stop taking new ones. <tongue firmly in cheek> :)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 8th, 2005, 11:16 pm

I have stopped taking new photos... well, sort of.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2005, 5:49 am

To clarify... ;)

ironically, i find that many of John Bannon's work are creative, interesting, and do away with most of the knuckle-busting card sleights that allow me to focus on the presentation.

i'm surely looking out for his new material.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 9th, 2005, 6:36 am

I want to make it clear that my response to Pete Biro's post was a bit tongue in cheek. Well, perhaps it did have a bit of a hissy fit element, but I have the greatest respect for Pete, who knows more about magic than I ever will.

And Pete -- I hope your saying that you've "sort of" stopped taking photos does not preclude having your excellent work in Genii.

And the news from John Bannon about his new book is very good news.

One last thing: The book I'm currently reading is by a great card master and magician, it has no tricks in it at all, and it is highly recommended. It's the first volume of "The Magic of Ascanio" and, as Jamy Ian Swiss reported last month, it is a classic.

Matt Field

Robert Sixx

Postby Robert Sixx » April 9th, 2005, 7:36 am

I am also looking forward to John's new book, I love the way he is able to put together working routines! One book that I don't have is Mirage, so if anyone know where I can pick this one up please let me know.

Robert Sixx

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » April 9th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Who is publishing the book?
Look forward to it myself.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2005, 4:20 am

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
I want to make it clear that my response to Pete Biro's post was a bit tongue in cheek. Well, perhaps it did have a bit of a hissy fit element, but I have the greatest respect for Pete, who knows more about magic than I ever will.

Matt Field
relax, pal....i'm sure everyone on the boards understands what pete said was tongue in cheek. and i sure have utmost respect for him, for he has far much experience than i certainly do. ;)

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2005, 8:53 am

John Bannon is, IMHO, one of the best writers and thinkers of magic today. And to the comment about the "card tricks" of course we need more card effects, or as I would refer to them in John'w work; Pasteboard tapestries. His card work is elegantly simple and I recomend you pick up one of his former books. Im still trying to get my hands on Mirage. And I would like to extend a thanks to Bannon for first and foremost, putting our all the WONDERFUL material he has produced over the years and for letting us know the information on his new book. Thank you very much John! Eager to read your new masterpieces!

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » April 10th, 2005, 11:26 am

Originally posted by Ryan Matney:
Who is publishing the book?
Look forward to it myself.
As far as I know ... John is self publishing the book ... checked my copy of Mirage (Modern Card Magic by John A. Bannon) in 1986 ... the booklet is 58 pages long and contains 14 card routines ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » April 13th, 2005, 12:31 pm

Spoke with John yetsreday and he doesn't have a copy of Mirage!
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2005, 5:15 pm

Ha! Thats kind of funny, the author not having a copy of his own book. I guess it must happen though. I would hope he at least has it in a note book or something.

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » April 30th, 2005, 10:48 am

I love his stuff but I wish it wasn't just card tricks myself. Some of his coin stuff is great and they were the reason I originally bought Smoke and Mirrors. I'm still looking forward Dear Mr. Fantasy though!

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2005, 7:44 am

so what's John bannon's paypal address?
When can we start ordering?

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 6th, 2005, 5:57 pm

I'm sure John will have all that information on his website that he'll be putting up to promote the book.

Postby Guest » May 16th, 2005, 3:26 am

Trait secrets? Last man standing? Mirage???
I thought the only books John Bannon released were Impossibilia and Smoke & MIrrors???

Are those books with a considerable amount of card tricks in them? or just a booklet on a trick??

Any other books?

Geez, wake up call for me i guess!

Postby Guest » May 16th, 2005, 3:37 am

Trait Secrets and Last Man Standing are items from the upcoming Dear Mr. Fantasy. Mirage is Bannons first book, a 58-page soft cover released in 1986 containing 14 card tricks.

Cameron

Postby Guest » May 16th, 2005, 9:54 am

Trait Secrets and Last man standing...will be in his upcoming book??
Then how come some people already know what it is?
So it's not all new tricks in Dear Mr Fantasy???

Anyway, what's the news?
cant' wait

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » May 16th, 2005, 5:46 pm

Originally posted by eryanic:
Trait Secrets and Last man standing...will be in his upcoming book??
Then how come some people already know what it is?
So it's not all new tricks in Dear Mr Fantasy???
John has shared some of the material that is in DMF with others, prior to it's publication.

It's new if you don't know it, but more importantly, if it's John Bannon's it's worthy of your study even if it's old.

Postby Guest » May 18th, 2005, 6:58 am

counting..25 days left

Return to “Buzz”