Ricky Jay on Conan

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Mark Jensen
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Ricky Jay on Conan

Postby Mark Jensen » September 25th, 2002, 10:41 pm

I just got done watching Ricky on Conan and it was priceless. Ricky started by having Conan select a card (face up) and then losing it in the deck. He then did a one handed cut and partial riffle shuffle. He then let the cards cascade together revealing the chosen card.

He next had Conan select a card (face down), lost it in the deck and then spelled through the entire deck using words such as Conan's favorite fish (Swordfish), related words of his own, Conan's favorite author, and ending with Conan naming his card. Ricky spelled the card named and there was the selected card.

Now comes my favorite part. Ricky performed his cards as weapons routine. But, the picture of Ricky scaling cards at Jackie Chan (promoting his new movie) and Jackie calmly blocking them was priceless. Ricky then proceeded to hurt the poor watermellon.

Gotta love it!

Mark

walkinoats

Re: Ricky Jay on Conan

Postby walkinoats » September 26th, 2002, 4:56 am

Does anyone know the name of the one handed shuffle revelation that Ricky Jay used last night on Conan and his play "52 assistants" ?
Or if it has appeared in print ?
thanks,

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2002, 6:14 am

The cascade is in Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy. It's called the Notis Cascade. This will teach you the mechanics of the cascade.

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2002, 1:21 pm

Does anyone know the name of the one handed shuffle revelation that Ricky Jay used last night on Conan and his play "52 assistants" ?
Or if it has appeared in print ?
thanks,

You can find the effect in Fechter...The magic of Eddie Fechter by Jerry Mentzer

Mike

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 26th, 2002, 1:45 pm

Man! I forgot that he was gonna be on! I'll check out the re-run on Comedy Central later (at 7:00, for anyone else interested).

Originally posted by Mark Jensen:
He next had Conan select a card (face down), lost it in the deck and then spelled through the entire deck using words such as Conan's favorite fish (Swordfish), related words of his own, Conan's favorite author, and ending with Conan naming his card. Ricky spelled the card named and there was the selected card.
I'm not sure about the other things, but I remember him doing this in his current show -- it's good stuff!

-Jim

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » September 26th, 2002, 11:01 pm

I'm a dork....I heard Conan say that a few days ago...but didn't see it last night, nor did I watch the rerun.

Does anyone suppose Comedy Central will rerun it over the weekend?

-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Return to “Buzz”