Mr. Gadfly

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
timbrown
Favorite Magician: Frank Garcia

Mr. Gadfly

Postby timbrown » June 28th, 2002, 12:39 pm

I was referred to the "Mr. Gadfly" publication yesterday by another forum member. I have only seen this publication once (during a very brief visit to a magic shop in Houston) and I don't know much about it. Their website offers back issues and subscriptions but messages on their forum indicate that their customers are not satisfied with their service. Before I plunk down any cash I thought it prudent to ask Genii forum members their opinions regarding the value of Mr. Gadfly and on the reliability of the supplier (I am particularly interested in the recent Frank Garcia issue but all 5 issues look good)

What do you think? Is the magazine as good as it looks on the site? Will I receive it if I place an order? Should I subscribe? :(

Thanks........

Tom Dobrowolski

Re: Mr. Gadfly

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » June 28th, 2002, 12:47 pm

You definitely need to read the thread on Mr. Gadfly in the Light from The Lamp section BEFORE you send in any money.
I saw a few of the issues at a magic shop and I thought they were poorly produced and the material not very good. But make sure to read the thread.

timbrown
Favorite Magician: Frank Garcia

Postby timbrown » June 28th, 2002, 1:31 pm

WOW! Thanks a lot Tom for referring me to the other forum board. I guess that my questions are now answered. But still....if anyone would like to part with that Frank Garcia issue.....

George Olson

Postby George Olson » June 28th, 2002, 4:16 pm

Tim

Check with callin's Magic in Portland:

www.callinsmagic.com

They had a couple of the Garcia issues layng around. I'm sure Richard Green, the new owner, would love to give you a hand.

George

Gary

Postby Gary » June 28th, 2002, 6:58 pm

H & R also sells individual issues....

Postby Guest » July 10th, 2002, 12:57 am

Mr. Gadfly is put out by Aaron Smith. I don't recommend anything he produces - he a complete hack.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » July 11th, 2002, 4:44 am

Originally posted by mr.e:
Mr. Gadfly is put out by Aaron Smith. I don't recommend anything he produces - he a complete hack.
I don't know about him being a hack, but in as many years as I have been involved in magic, buying magic, doing magic, and loving magic, he and Ken Simmons represent the only two individuals involved in magicdom who have ever taken my money and not delivered what they promised.

To put this into perspective, I include in this consideration Johnson Smith's Smoke from the Fingertips stuff I bought when I was seven years old.

That's an amazing thing to me.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Return to “Buzz”