Ron Wilson

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.

Ron Wilson

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2006, 3:00 pm

This is directed to Richard, but I would love any other input.

In the current Genii (07/06) you referred to Ron Wilson's act as "nearly perfect". I'm curious as to what characteristics it had to garner such praise.

I never had the opportunity to see him perform, but I believe I recall you saying you regretted not being able to fully convey he quality of his act (my words, obviously).

Your book on his magic has slowly become one of my favorites. The preparation and thought that went into his routines becomes very clear as it is reread a couple of times.

Steve

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Ron Wilson

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 25th, 2006, 4:54 pm

Not only was Ron a scientist in the way he put together his routines, perfectly matching the sleights, physical actions, and patter to his charming personality, but he brought it all together perfectly. Every trick in his act was a "closer." He was funny, clever, and mystifying.
If I were to do that book today, it would come with a DVD.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 25th, 2006, 5:30 pm

You got that right... Ron had one of the finest, most thought-out acts I have ever seen.

Now that he's retired from booking the Castle acts, he's very busy booking magicians on cruise ships.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Steve;
I've had the fortune of seeing Ron Wilson's performances several times. Whenever I watch a magic act, I am interested in how well the audience is handled and how the performer comes across as a person. Ron Wilson's magic is smooth; but more importantly he comes across as a very likeable person - the kind of guy you would like for a friend. Audiences leave his performances knowing that they have seen a gentleman perform very entertaining magic. His act has class.
Jim

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 25th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Because of Ron's act, his book is one of my five favorites. I laugh whenever I see Chop Cups on sale for $125+, because I've seen Ron get huge laughs and reactions with his paper Chop Cup from Coffee Dan's. And his newspaper tear, an improvement on the Elmsley tear, is the best there is. If you take the time to learn it, and it does take time, you'll never go back to the Anderson tear.

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » August 8th, 2006, 4:39 pm

I know Ron from working the Castle, but I've never seen any footage of Ron anywhere. Not even a Steven's videotape? There is some great stuff in his book . . .

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » March 28th, 2009, 2:45 pm

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but can anyone give me contact information for Ron Wilson (an email address or a phone number or even a snail mail address)?

I'm interested in speaking with him about one of his signature routines (the Bagpipe Chinese Sticks).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
The MacGician®

Darryl Harris
Favorite Magician: I admire the best!

Postby Darryl Harris » March 28th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Ron has a page on FaceBook, if that helps.
Live with honor
Act with integrity
No regrets

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » March 28th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Hmmm...I'm not on FaceBook--if I can't find more direct contact information, perhaps I'll have to join.

Thanks, Darryl!
The MacGician®

MartinKaplan

Postby MartinKaplan » March 28th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Donal:

I have e-mailed you. Incidentally, there are currently two videos of Ron on youtube. One shows him performing his newspaper tear and the other is his multiplying bottle routine. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/user/uncannyscot

-Marty

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » March 28th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Thanks, Marty--I'm in your debt.

And thanks for the links--great stuff!
The MacGician®

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 28th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Wow! Thank you! Great to see these two routines again.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 28th, 2009, 6:30 pm

It really is a thrill to see that newspaper tear. The most magical and amazing in the world.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » March 28th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:If I were to do that book today, it would come with a DVD.

It is great to see those two routines; thanks for posting the link. The 'Uncanny Scot' book has been one of my favorites.

I'd be very interested in a Ron Wilson DVD; perhaps a 'performance only' of the material from the book.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » March 30th, 2009, 4:40 am

Ron also has a link to his Rising cards, which i found via his facebook account.
Its had favorable comments from Lays who dont usualy comment on teh magic links i post.

such is Rons appeal.

I just wish he'd come over and do the southshields convention.. He would really enjoy it!

Return to “Kaufman & Company”