Al Baker in print

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.

Al Baker in print

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2002, 9:32 pm

Richard,
I've been looking for years for some of the old Al Baker books/manuscripts. I've gone through all the normal conventional means, ie H&R, Bradbury, et. What I've found has been hard to come by and in some cases too pricey.
What are the chances of getting an Al Baker book with all his stuff in one volume similar to what you did with the most recent Burger book?
Just asking,
Rick

Re: Al Baker in print

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2002, 11:48 am

Originally posted by Rick Green:
Richard,
I've been looking for years for some of the old Al Baker books/manuscripts. I've gone through all the normal conventional means, ie H&R, Bradbury, et. What I've found has been hard to come by and in some cases too pricey.
What are the chances of getting an Al Baker book with all his stuff in one volume similar to what you did with the most recent Burger book?
Just asking,
Rick
I second Rick's suggestion! I too have been haunting the bookshops in the hope of a glimpse of 'Pet Secrets' and the like. So far in vain ... sniff .....

best,

Graham

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 21st, 2002, 6:17 pm

The rights to several of the Al Baker books are owned by the heirs of Carl Jones, the family of the man who published Greater Magic. Putting all the Al Baker material in one book is a staggeringly large task that would be too expensive and too time-consuming to contemplate. The good news is that I have a pile of unpublished Al Baker material from the notebooks of a good friend of his--but I don't know what I am going to do with all of it yet. I thought of giving Al his own column in Genii (we've had several columns by deceased writers).
Still thinking.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » April 21st, 2002, 8:04 pm

Al Baker's "Mental Magic" is still available new form Lee Jacobs.

Chris.... Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 22nd, 2002, 10:26 am

I'm also an Al Baker fanatic and, as I hope you know, there's a section devoted to his material in Richard's "The Lost Notebooks of John Northern Hilliard."

Matt Field

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » April 26th, 2002, 9:39 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
. I thought of giving Al his own column in Genii (we've had several columns by deceased writers).
Please do it. I'll sign up for a three-year subscription if you do ! (instead of my usual two-year). ;)

Al Baker's material is always very well thought out.
I like the new stuff you are publishing in Genii, but to those of us under 40 the old stuff is new, y'know ? So, I would feel the same way if you started republishing Charlie Miller or Larsen & Wright in the modern-day Genii.

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2002, 8:19 pm

I think it's the reason why I'm getting such a good response to my Victorian magic act.
"Everything old is new again".
Rick

troublewit

Postby troublewit » May 4th, 2002, 8:18 pm

Hi Richard...You mention that compiling ALL of Al Baker's work in print is too time consuming. True. What about just "Pet Secrets", "Magical Ways and Means", and some of his mentalism? "The Classics" of Al Baker?
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 4th, 2002, 8:21 pm

The problem is that the rights to the Baker books are owned by different people and/or estates. Everyone wants a chunk of the pie. By the time the pie is divided up as will be legally required, it simply is not worth the work or time for the small amount of remuneration.
I may dig out that notebook I have and start publishing that material in Genii. It would be a start :) !
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

troublewit

Postby troublewit » May 4th, 2002, 8:36 pm

Thanks, Richard...anything by Al Baker is bound to be worthwhile. Thanks again for Genii Magazine. The lamp has never shone brighter, and it has become my favorite Magic Periodical. Best Wishes, Christopher
Christopher Klocek

337 N Wood St

Griffith, In 46319

219-765-7123

troublewit@aol.com

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » May 6th, 2002, 1:10 pm

There is a copy of Al Bakers "Magical Ways and Means" listed now on e-bay Item # 2100210075 .

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2002, 12:42 am

You guys should keep your eyes out for "Four Squares and a Knot" from the Ron Bauer Private Studis Series, it's a Baker trick and a killer opening trick. I've used it in hundreds of shows and it reallky plays for the public. You can't beat the price at ten bucks. Now that I think of it you should check out all the series. They are the best presentations around.

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2002, 8:00 am

If you really want to see Al Baker material just look at Jay Marshells act. Baker wrote it.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 31st, 2002, 3:07 pm

"we've had several columns by deceased writers."

I don't think it's very nice to talk about Matt Field's style in this manner. He's a friend of mine, and sure, there isn't a spark of life in anything he's ever written, but he is still very alive as a PERSON and every person, no matter how dreary, has value (with the exception of JB).

Return to “Kaufman & Company”