The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
John Pezzullo

The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser

Postby John Pezzullo » March 28th, 2002, 3:20 am

Michael Close wrote the following about Harry Riser in "Workers #3":

"I had very little contact with any other magicians until I was twenty years old. Everything I learned, I learned from books, and I read a lot of books. Everything I could get my hands on. I considered myself fairly knowledgable. And yet, the first time I spent an evening with Harry Riser I felt like I knew nothing. What I experienced was a philosophy of magic in action, combined with an extremely high degree of technical ability."

I purchased 'The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser' for the paltry sum of $20.00 (plus postage) through Richard's 'scratch & dent' sale. This book provides a clear insight into what Michael Close was referring to. It is an excellent book containing material of the highest calibre. If you don't own a copy, do yourself a favour and buy one.

A question for Richard.....who is the guy pictured with Dai Vernon and Harry Riser in the photograph on page 119?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 28th, 2002, 4:33 pm

John,
My library is packed at the moment, so I have no way to look at the photograph!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Michael Close

Re: The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser

Postby Michael Close » March 28th, 2002, 5:29 pm

That's John Railing. Around that time John was studying law in Indianapolis. Later on he moved to Chicago and did magic in the Pump Room. He is an expert in the area of Pop-up books. Unfortunately, I have not seen him for many years.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”