LOOKING GLASS - Richard Kaufman

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Ricky Difeo

LOOKING GLASS - Richard Kaufman

Postby Ricky Difeo » October 16th, 2003, 10:56 am

I need major information about this compilted publication.-

I need to say if are close up magic?.-

Somebody that has this I get rid he/she can make some recommendation??
;)

In my country (Argentina) I can not find information about this publication and I want to buy it.-

Thank You.-

Ricardo Difeo
La Plata - Buenos Aires - Argentina

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Re: LOOKING GLASS - Richard Kaufman

Postby Steve Bryant » October 16th, 2003, 1:32 pm

There is an effect in there by Jack Birnman, I think it is called "My Friend the Clairvoyant," that is a miracle and was for me worth the whole subscription. It is mathematically based but has great entertainment value and will fool any magician or layman who isn't in on the secret. It just seems impossible. I had forgotten about it for a while but recently started toying with it again.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » October 17th, 2003, 5:40 pm

The Looking Glass was a wonderful periodical -- written and edited by Richard Kaufman, Jon Racherbaumer and Stephen Hobbs -- that enjoyed far too short a life. Sadly, there were only four issues (Winter 1996, Spring 1996, Summer 1996 and Winter 1998). Intellegent, insightful and exceptionally well crafted, it contained some remarkable close-up magic, including material by Jack Birnman, Michael Rubenstein, Phil Goldstein, Brother John Hamman, David Ben/Ross Bertram/Emil Jarrow, Bob Farmer, Larry Jennings, Geoffrey Latta, Rune Klan, Paul Cummins, Alain Nu, Roy Walton, Horo Sakai, Aaron Fisher, Shigeo Futagawa, Ed Marlo, Don Alan, Chad Long, Toyohisa Sanada, Peter Duffie, Joshua Jay, Gene Maze, J.K. Hartman, Alex Elmsley, Jay Frasier, Ryu Susato, Jeff Sheridan, John Bannon, Martin Gardner, Lennert Green, David Gripenwaldt, Miguel Gomez, William Goodwin. Save for a few ads for other Kaufman and Greeberg/Kaufman books, it carried no advertising. What it did have was content, character, and class.

Michael Edwards

By the way, the Birnman piece referenced by Steve, is "My Spectator, The Clairvoyant" and it appeared in the Winter 1998 issue.

Raj Madhok

Postby Raj Madhok » October 17th, 2003, 9:14 pm

Richard,

Thanks for bringing "My Spectator, The Clairvoyant" back to my senses. Two other Jack Birnman questions:

The first issue of Looking Glass (Winter 1996) had Birnman's "Dyslexic Pyschic" rountine. You alluded to an original, difficult sleight of his for which you substituted the Side Glide. Has the original sleight been published or can you comment further on the specific move?

Any updates from anyone on the status of the Birnman book?

Thanks,
Raj

Ricky Difeo

Postby Ricky Difeo » October 19th, 2003, 4:55 pm

Thank. Very Thank for Steve, Michael and Raj.

I love all the books of Richard Kaufman.-

Thank you. :D

Ricardo Difeo
La Plata - Buenos Aires - Argentina

Return to “Kaufman & Company”