Jennings 67

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
erdnasephile

Re: Jennings 67

Postby erdnasephile » July 21st, 2017, 8:19 pm

Here it is, Bill: https://www.amazon.com/Larry-Jennings-P ... B00FK9Q6CC

As Richard said---not a performance; however, I really liked watching it--it made me think this might've been what he was like during a session.

performer

Postby performer » July 22nd, 2017, 12:37 am

erdnasephile wrote:
Terry wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:Like so many good magicians, Jennings was someone you really need to see in person. But the Paris tapes are the best he made.

Agreed.

I did like the DVD of Larry at Louis' house too.

That is a fun DVD to watch as well--very instructive as well.

If I might offer a respectful question about Mr. Lewis' salient point: I concur that lots of magicians talk too much and bore people; however, if Larry Jennings had decided to start performing with a high energy, rapid patter style, wouldn't that have been really unnatural for him?

I should explain that I wasn't talking about Jennings talking too much. I was referring to Cervon when I said that. I have no idea if Larry was talking too much. I always feel sleepy when I watch him so I am too drowsy to notice. I will watch again though and try to pay attention. I do agree he shouldn't use a high energy, rapid patter style. Come to think of it I only use that style myself when pitching or at trade shows where it is more appropriate. I am far more low key when performing privately.

There are times when the slower style is appropriate such as a quiet atmosphere where people are paying attention. And working to hopefully intelligent people. It would certainly be the worst type of style if you were working to drunks or even a sober but boisterous crowd. I shall watch Jennings again and try to be objective. If I can keep awake that is.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » July 22nd, 2017, 4:01 am

Performer, I must say, you hugely help to keep this place lively, and anything but boring. When you are actively posting, I am certain to stay awake. I greatly appreciate your candor and wit. Thanks for keeping it real...

performer

Postby performer » July 22nd, 2017, 5:53 am

performer wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:Performer, I must say, you hugely help to keep this place lively, and anything but boring. When you are actively posting, I am certain to stay awake. I greatly appreciate your candor and wit. Thanks for keeping it real...

Thank you Alfred for your kind comments. Some daft people probably think that I am trolling but oddly enough I am not. I am merely expressing my genuine opinions. I am not sure where my cynicism comes from. I have had it since I was a teenager in magic. Satan has embedded within me a great lack of understanding why legendary names are considered legendary in the first place. I am truly puzzled and have never understood it. They all seem very ordinary to me and in most cases even less than ordinary. I have always been this way. I would see people hailed as legends in magic and could never figure out why. I suppose it is because of their creativity and supposedly awesome sleight of hand skills. (I say supposedly because I see most of these hot shots flash and fumble a lot of their usually unnecessary moves). But their presentation is usually lacking. And what to other magicians is wonderful presentation to me is just yapping too much and meaningless stories about cards living in castles and suchlike.

I do like a tiny few of them (usually dead ones) but I have never figured out why most of them seem no better and in fact often worse than anyone else. And why everyone else raves about them while I am so lukewarm. I suppose it is the blind worshipping the blind. Perhaps it is because I am the cynical grafter who understands the concept of selling poor quality merchandise and making people think it is something special. Most of the time I feel like the boy who sees that the emperor has no clothes.

There seems to be a lot of these emperors strutting around. I think it would be wonderful if they were to hasten to a menswear shop immediately.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » July 22nd, 2017, 12:14 pm

Performer, you are most welcome.

Maybe you like the dead ones, in particular, because there is no chance of them either yapping or flashing...

performer

Postby performer » July 22nd, 2017, 8:23 pm

Indeed. The greatest magicians are all dead. Come to think of it I don't feel that well myself.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » July 26th, 2017, 5:31 am

It's well worth obtaining; good material, good teaching

Return to “Kaufman & Company”